• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Very cool.  Iirc, it was only reprinted once (although maybe it's been reprinted other times since) and I remember tracking down a copy of the reprint to read it because my copy was slabbed. 

As I said above, I thought I'd only seen it in the Barks library. But the GCD and Inducks tells me it was reprinted in WDC&S 571, which I have!

1 minute ago, AJD said:

As I said above, I thought I'd only seen it in the Barks library. But the GCD and Inducks tells me it was reprinted in WDC&S 571, which I have!

Sorry, I missed your earlier comment.  It must have been the WDC&S 571 that I picked up.  Iirc, they reformatted it to fit the regular comic dimensions.  

22 hours ago, AJD said:

I would have preferred a Barks cover. I'm not the biggest fan of Buettner's ducks. I'd have preferred Barks on the cover of FC 108, 147 and 178 too.

One thing that surprised me when I opened this up was that the story is in colour. I guess that shouldn't have been surprising, but I'd only seen it in the B&W Barks library.

I found some of the other giveaways as a kid. Pluto and another one as I recall. I haven't looked at them in years but while I've never read Atom Bomb I know they don't hold a candle.

On 4/27/2018 at 5:26 PM, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I found some of the other giveaways as a kid. Pluto and another one as I recall. I haven't looked at them in years but while I've never read Atom Bomb I know they don't hold a candle.

Been a while since I read it, but I don't remember it as being one of his better efforts.  The oddity of the story line and the fact that they embargoed reprinting it are what made it attractive to me from a collecting viewpoint.

On 4/30/2018 at 7:04 AM, Sqeggs said:

Been a while since I read it, but I don't remember it as being one of his better efforts.  The oddity of the story line and the fact that they embargoed reprinting it are what made it attractive to me from a collecting viewpoint.

Yes, agreed. The 'atom bomb' story is so weak I was surprised that Barks wrote it. I had assumed it was one of the stories given to him by the studio to draw, but apparently not.

8 hours ago, Badger said:

An entire month passed with no updates to this fine thread. :cry:

This shall not stand!

US_18_CGC_Front.jpg

Very pretty! I'll reinforce the thread bumping with a couple of nice new yellow ducks of my own:

5ae1b5838546d_WDCS_116.jpg.ab984e6b93981b145d8b2fcadb6c23ee.jpg

1555525052_WDCS_226.thumb.jpg.cb76baa98748f3e7016aa570be94cd85.jpg

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

No stunner but my first copy of this book 

9B5E9920-6C2B-4980-B9D8-06716A981513.jpeg

Very nice! I want a copy of this book but haven't found one that trips the ol' price and condition bell for me yet. Congratulations!

17 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I'm in with a Four Color Flush courtesy of Busted Flush! The 6.0 is my Frozen Gold keeper happily de-slabbed these days!!

_MG_7453.JPG

Beautiful books, I'll take both of them!

On 6/8/2018 at 9:10 PM, Yellow Kid said:

Don't be greedy Rich. Either would be a significant upgrade for me!

On 6/8/2018 at 4:10 AM, Yellow Kid said:

As Rich knows Frozen Gold was a grail book for me as it took me over thirty years to finally land a copy at the right condition price point. I used to drool over the file copy Metropolis parades around each year at San Diego but knew I would never land that one. Very happy with what I have.

In the competition for worst copy of FC 62, I may have the winner.  It was one of the first comics I bought via mail order, probably around 1966.  It was obvious to me at once that the pages were brittle (a fact not mentioned by the seller).  But it was still readable, I hadn't paid much for it, and I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to send it back, so I kept it.  Just for fun, I finally sent it in to be graded, and this was the result. 

2018-06-11-0001_zpsbmrlnanr.JPG