• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

Just noticed that WDC&S 134 (first Beagle Boys) 9.2 (1 of 2 highest) sold at Heritage for $2,640.  That appears to be a big leap upward for that book (66%+ increase) from the last sale back in 2009 when Barks' books were really really hot. 

14 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

NIce book!  I passed on a copy that I should have acquired.  Big regrets.  The most important Duck book, arguably.

I actually prefer Four Color #386, because there's something special about that lake of gold and Uncle Scrooge being so "scroogey" on the cover. 

I've had a solid mid-grade copy since 2008.

0806056001_1200.jpg

:cloud9:

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

They are both fantastic, but yeah to me if I could only own one Barks book, it would be FC 386.   Its just an all time classic in every way.

Oh ... I agree it's a better looking and better reading book.

But, the first appearance of Scrooge is probably the most important Duck book in my opinion.  He's the only major Disney character that I know, one that has headlined two animated series, to be created in a comic book.  

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Oh ... I agree it's a better looking and better reading book.

But, the first appearance of Scrooge is probably the most important Duck book in my opinion.  He's the only major Disney character that I know, one that has headlined two animated series, to be created in a comic book.  

I agree with both of you! :roflmao:If I had to give the edge though, I'd give it to Christmas on Bear Mountain.  It introduced Scrooge and set his character up forever.  Plus, bears!

10 hours ago, Badger said:

I agree with both of you! :roflmao:If I had to give the edge though, I'd give it to Christmas on Bear Mountain.  It introduced Scrooge and set his character up forever.  Plus, bears!

Scrooge and Christmas and Bears, oh my! :whatthe:

10 hours ago, valiantman said:

Scrooge and Christmas and Bears, oh my! :whatthe:

I think any Scrooge collector needs both. The first has a stingy old duck with little to no inkling of the great character to come. The art is a little darker and the feel a bit more earthy. US #1 brings us a more rounded Scrooge and sets the stage for the great run of books to come starring our favorite tightwad duck! The art feels lighter somehow, the story less heavy despite the shenanigans and thievery.

21 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I think any Scrooge collector needs both. The first has a stingy old duck with little to no inkling of the great character to come. The art is a little darker and the feel a bit more earthy. US #1 brings us a more rounded Scrooge and sets the stage for the great run of books to come starring our favorite tightwad duck! The art feels lighter somehow, the story less heavy despite the shenanigans and thievery.

FC386 is a better piece of work in every respect. For a long time I didn't have a copy of 178, and TBH, probably would have continued to live without it if I hadn't seen the right copy at the right price. The Scrooge in that story is a Dickensian stereotype, and nowhere near the rounded and wonderfully rendered Scrooge of later stories. Barks' early stories sometimes lacked the human touch that makes his best work so memorable. All IMHO of course.

Yep.  WDC&S 140 is a great book.  Not only is it Scrooge's first appearance on a cover in that title (and 3rd Scrooge cover appearance by Barks), but it's the first Gyro Gearloose.  I have one that just landed in the mail back from CGC (haven't seen it yet).  I'm hoping it presents well.  Your 98 (1st App. of Scrooge in interior of WDC&S) has a beautiful Halloween cover.    

Your U.S. 3 is also very nice.  The blue cover shows a lot of flaws, but your book presents well.  I haven't found one that looks good yet.  

I posted these elsewhere, but they belong here.  Just back (last week and today) from CGC:

FC 328 9.6 off-white/white.  This one tops the census with two others which are Dell File Copies.  I like this one because of the stamp.  I don't know if it would have rated higher than the file copies if it didn't have the stamp (they don't), but I like it:

image.thumb.png.2110ca880314a45237d231952717014a.png

Edited by sfcityduck

WDC&S 137 (subscription variant) 9.4 white back from CGC today.  This is tied with one other book, a Dell File Copy, for top of Census, but mine has higher page quality (white v. ow/w for the file copy).  I tried to get CGC to note this as a subscription variant, but they would not, despite the fact that there are differences in the back cover art (and sometimes front cover art) for the subscription variants.  This one is super cool because it is a true "unicorn," a subscription copy without a subscription crease that ranks as the best copy!  (sorry about picture quality):

image.thumb.png.1eded382c3fd40d8a23717bf1f35a238.png

CGC surprised me on this WDC&S 97 (last Mickey cover on Dell title).  This is the nicest 7.5 off-white/white you'll ever see.  I think they hammered if for having "light subscription crease," but I still don't see it.  They must use a magnifying glass to locate it:

IMG_0019.thumb.jpg.4c7550d5794bd8ba5c92490fe186bb4b.jpg

WDC&S 140 8.0 (white).  CGC got the grade exactly right on this.  Too bad, they got the info wrong.  This is the 3rd Barks' Scrooge cover, not the 2nd.  Frankly, this is my preferred grade for comics I want to display on the walll.  I'm sort of afraid to display the super high grade copies (fear hurting the books), so I'm very inclined to downgrade to 8.0-9.0 to have copies I don't feel bad about putting them out in the room  (these pictures make me realize I need a scanner):

IMG_0020.thumb.jpg.f32b57580d972aeb905b2c61d44b2984.jpg

37 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

CGC surprised me on this WDC&S 97 (last Mickey cover on Dell title).  This is the nicest 7.5 off-white/white you'll ever see.  I think they hammered if for having "light subscription crease," but I still don't see it.  They must use a magnifying glass to locate it:

IMG_0019.thumb.jpg.4c7550d5794bd8ba5c92490fe186bb4b.jpg

Nice! Didn't know that this was Mickey's last cover on the Dell run. Great Duck books! You are truly a passionate fan!

..gonna crash the Duck Thread with the other Duck: This is a file copy, and is Daffy's first self titled comic book issue. For years it has held the title as single highest graded copy. But with @Redbeard recently pointing out how large a find a Dell warehouse find was, there probably is a copy or two that could grade higher. But for now, i'll enjoy the title. :luhv:

Four Color #457.jpg

11 hours ago, sagii said:

..gonna crash the Duck Thread with the other Duck: This is a file copy, and is Daffy's first self titled comic book issue. For years it has held the title as single highest graded copy. But with @Redbeard recently pointing out how large a find a Dell warehouse find was, there probably is a copy or two that could grade higher. But for now, i'll enjoy the title. :luhv:

Not sure I'd agree that other better copies necessarily exist.  My impression has always been that the number of Dell file copies for any given title is not as huge as you are speculating.  And many of those file copies are not of the highest grade.  I have seen many books where the top rated file copy is a 9.4 and fewer where the top graded copy is a 9.6.