• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

I found a few Barks cartoons in my EyeOpeners.  Does anyone have a list of what he contributed?

30334509538_3962d068c0_b.jpg

Lemonade King with EyeOpeners?  That seems wrong.

But, I love some of those EyeOpener covers!

Just joined to forums, and decided to start here. I've loved Donald and Scrooge for a long time. They are some of my favorite charcters of all time, and I've recently decided that I want to work on the Uncle Scrooge run as much as possible. I know my books are rough compared to some of the beautiful copies shared here, but I got the #15, first Flintheart Glomgold, for $6 and the #198 for $1.

0903181614.jpg

0903181617a.jpg

Edited by DisneyDevotee

10 hours ago, DisneyDevotee said:

Just joined to forums, and decided to start here. I've loved Donald and Scrooge for a long time. They are some of my favorite charcters of all time, and I've recently decided that I want to work on the Uncle Scrooge run as much as possible. I know my books are rough compared to some of the beautiful copies shared here, but I got the #15 for $6 and the #198 for $1.

0903181614.jpg

0903181617a.jpg

Welcome to the boards!  We post comics in all grades and conditions, so please feel free to post away.  Scrooge is one of the great characters in comics history, imho. 

On 8/22/2018 at 2:01 PM, BB-Gun said:

I found a few Barks cartoons in my EyeOpeners.  Does anyone have a list of what he contributed?

30334509538_3962d068c0_b.jpg

I don't have a list but I'm just about certain that I've seen one in the past few years.  Maybe in one of the paperback books on Barks?  If I can track it down, I'll post it.

Can the more knowledgeable Duck collectors help me fill in some of my research notes? I know Scrooge's first cover was FC #379, correct? What was his second and third? Any notable appearances/cover appearances between his first appearance and US #1? And what are some of the noteable one shots?

I've done a fair amount of looking things up, and I'm slowly going through this thread adding to my notes, but that will take some time. Outside of the above listed, I'm working on joting down first appearances of Disney/Looney Tunes characters, so if someone can direct me to a proper thread or help me here that would also be helpful!

Edited by DisneyDevotee

11 hours ago, DisneyDevotee said:

Just joined to forums, and decided to start here. I've loved Donald and Scrooge for a long time. They are some of my favorite charcters of all time, and I've recently decided that I want to work on the Uncle Scrooge run as much as possible. I know my books are rough compared to some of the beautiful copies shared here, but I got the #15, first Flintheart Glomgold, for $6 and the #198 for $1.

0903181614.jpg

0903181617a.jpg

No need to apologize. We welcome all lovers of the media here. Welcome to the boards!

5 minutes ago, DisneyDevotee said:

Can the more knowledgeable Duck collectors help me fill in some of my research notes? I know Scrooge's first cover was FC #379, correct? What was his second and third? Any notable appearances/cover appearances between his first appearance and US #1? And what are some of the noteable one shots?

I've done a fair amount of looking things up, and I'm slowly going through this thread adding to my notes, but that will take some time. Outside of the above listed, I'm working on joting down first appearances of Disney/Looney Tunes characters, so if someone can direct me to a proper thread or help me here that would also be helpful!

First Porky Pig and Daffy Duck was in Porky's Duck Hunt 1938 I believe. Paging Sagi and Yellow Kid...

Edited by Robot Man

6 minutes ago, DisneyDevotee said:

Welcome! While I own some high grade ducks I also own a few beaters so don't feel self-conscious. We love talking about Barks, his art, and the stories in addition to showing off our favorite books regardless of their condition. :)  My collection runs the gambit from low grade to high and I love them all!

fc_408_front.thumb.jpg.7e2a92fec636249a1e95e2faf56a3a3f.jpgFC_147_CGC_FRONT.9.4.thumb.jpg.eaf222bc214ecfb811328e4e4f356ed2.jpg

For Looney Tunes stuff, look at this thread.

Edited by Badger

7 hours ago, DisneyDevotee said:

I now believe that the chronology is this:

* Vacation Parade 2 (July 1951) - 1st Cover Appearance (cameo crowd shot) 

* FC 353 (Oct. 1951) - 2nd Cover Appearance (cameo), 1st on cover by Barks

* FC 379 (March-April 1952) - 3rd Cover Appearance, 1st time featured on Cover

* FC 386 (March 1952) - 4th Cover Appearance; 2nd by Barks, 2nd featured

* WDC&S 140 (May 1952) - 5th Cover Appearance, 3rd by Barks, 3rd featured, 1st on title,1st by Barks on WDC&S

Which just goes to illustrate that you should be skeptical of what the auction houses say. For example, Heritage states:

"Only a Poor Old Man is the first Uncle Scrooge solo story, Scrooge's first cover appearance, and the book that counts as Uncle Scrooge #1"

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-386-uncle-scrooge-dell-1952-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/825-44210.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

The first two representations are both wrong. FC 386 is also not the first Scrooge solo story or even the first story without Donald Duck.  Uncle Scrooge had a previous solo story and guested in a non-DD story (neither were by Barks).  

For notable one-shots after FC 386 (US 1), the best I'd say is FC 456 (US 2).

Edited by sfcityduck

5 hours ago, Badger said:

Welcome! While I own some high grade ducks I also own a few beaters so don't feel self-conscious. We love talking about Barks, his art, and the stories in addition to showing off our favorite books regardless of their condition. :)  My collection runs the gambit from low grade to high and I love them all!

Completely agree.  I have mid-grade reading copies of my favorite stories, of which FC 263 is, for me, the tops Barks DD to have.  

I also have some books that are so high grade (top of Census best in existence) that I'm uncomfortable owning them and looking to sell.  To replace them I buy slightly lower grade copies that present really well so I can put them on display (e.g. 8.0 - 9.0).

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, sfcityduck said:

* FC 353 (Oct. 1951) - 2nd Cover Appearance (cameo), 1st on cover by Barks

* FC 379 (March-April 1952) - 3rd Cover Appearance, 1st time featured on Cover

* FC 386 (March 1952) - 4th Cover Appearance; 2nd by Barks, 2nd featured

* WDC&S 140 (May 1952) - 5th Cover Appearance, 3rd by Barks, 3rd featured, 1st on title,1st by Barks on WDC&S

Which just goes to illustrate that you should be skeptical of what the auction houses say. For example, Heritage states:

"Only a Poor Old Man is the first Uncle Scrooge solo story, Scrooge's first cover appearance, and the book that counts as Uncle Scrooge #1"

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-386-uncle-scrooge-dell-1952-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/825-44210.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

The first two representations are both wrong. FC 386 is also not the first Scrooge solo story or even the first story without Donald Duck.  Uncle Scrooge had a previous solo story and guested in a non-DD story (neither were by Barks).  

For notable one-shots after FC 386 (US 1), the best I'd say is FC 456 (US 2).

15653542606_bfe2a5ed7a_b.jpg

15504596999_0a02b46510_b.jpg

Here are a few of the covers you mentioned.  I am sure I have two copies of Vacation Parade 2 but I like VP 1 a lot more.  Not sure about WDCS 140 but I probably have at least one copy.  What was the first Scrooge story in WDCS??  Was it in 98?

48 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

Here are a few of the covers you mentioned.  I am sure I have two copies of Vacation Parade 2 but I like VP 1 a lot more.  Not sure about WDCS 140 but I probably have at least one copy.  What was the first Scrooge story in WDCS??  Was it in 98?

Yep, #98.

wdc&s_98_front.jpg

On 9/5/2018 at 9:36 PM, DisneyDevotee said:

0903181614.jpg

0903181617a.jpg

Welcome to the boards.

The Old Castle's Secret
Donald Duck / comic story

/ 32 pages

Four Color (1942 series) #189 -
June 1948

Foxy Relations

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories (1940 series) #v9#2 (98)
November 1948

Race to the South Seas!
Donald Duck / comic story / 22 pages

Boys' and Girls' March of Comics (1946 series) #41

Western

[The Sunken Yacht]
Donald Duck / comic story / 10 pages

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories (1940 series) #v9#8 (104)
May 1949

Dell

Voodoo Hoodoo
Donald Duck / comic story / 32 pages

Four Color (1942 series) #238 - Walt Disney's Donald Duck in Voodoo Hoodoo
August 1949

Dell

Letter to Santa
Donald Duck / comic story / 24 pages

Walt Disney's Christmas Parade (1949 series) #1
November 1949

Dell

Trail of the Unicorn
Donald Duck / comic story / 24 pages

Four Color (1942 series) #263 - Walt Disney's Donald Duck in Land of the Totem Poles
February 1950

Dell

Donald Duck and "The Pixilated Parrot"
Donald Duck / comic story / 22 pages

Four Color (1942 series) #282 - Walt Disney's Donald Duck and The Pixilated Parrot
July 1950

Dell

The Magic Hourglass
Donald Duck / comic story / 28 pages

Four Color (1942 series) #291 - Walt Disney's Donald Duck in The Magic Hourglass
September 1950

Dell

[The Firebugs]
Donald Duck / comic story / 20 pages

Four Color (1942 series) #300 - Walt Disney's Donald Duck in Big-Top Bedlam
November 1950

Dell

Edited by BB-Gun
List of stories with Uncle Scrooge is from the GCD

On 9/6/2018 at 11:37 AM, Robot Man said:

First Porky Pig and Daffy Duck was in Porky's Duck Hunt 1938 I believe. Paging Sagi and Yellow Kid...

@DisneyDevotee ,Just seeing this, but I see @Badger and @BB-Gun have directed you to the proper channels. 

@Robot Man don't forget to use the @ symbol with the name so the' paged' Boardie gets the notification :foryou:

Much opportunity in the Looney Tunes sector in terms of first appearances, HTF in grade, and 'should be' Classic Covers. The Linen Book is the first book appearances of Porky and Daffy in book form, but LTMM#1 is the first comic book appearances of a lot of the 'key' characters. There are also breakout books that count as the 1st issue of said characters own series.I don't usually post other guys labels but hoping the hosts forgive me here. Thought about having CGC holder this, but i don't think they'd recognize 'Magic Woo designation"(:

Speedy Gonzalez #1 , what whites on this one :cloud9: so many household names in the LT canon

Four Color #1084.jpg

On 9/6/2018 at 5:19 PM, sfcityduck said:

Now that could win you a pretty fair-sized bar bet. 

2 hours ago, sagii said:

@DisneyDevotee ,Just seeing this, but I see @Badger and @BB-Gun have directed you to the proper channels. 

@Robot Man don't forget to use the @ symbol with the name so the' paged' Boardie gets the notification :foryou:

Much opportunity in the Looney Tunes sector in terms of first appearances, HTF in grade, and 'should be' Classic Covers. The Linen Book is the first book appearances of Porky and Daffy in book form, but LTMM#1 is the first comic book appearances of a lot of the 'key' characters. There are also breakout books that count as the 1st issue of said characters own series.I don't usually post other guys labels but hoping the hosts forgive me here. Thought about having CGC holder this, but i don't think they'd recognize 'Magic Woo designation"(:

Speedy Gonzalez #1 , what whites on this one :cloud9: so many household names in the LT canon

Four Color #1084.jpg

Good lord that's purdy!:luhv: