• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

I got this a few days ago. It ended up costing me $20, which I believe is a decent price for the grade, but I'm unsure honestly. I'm new to discerning grades and values. I knew I wanted this book, so I got it while I could. I'll definitely upgrade when possible. Can you guys help me with with grading? I think this is somewhere between G and VG, but like I said, I'm new to that part of comic collecting. 

Screenshot_2018-09-17-17-18-53.png

Screenshot_2018-09-17-17-19-00.png

1 hour ago, DisneyDevotee said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bI got this a few days ago. It ended up costing me $20, which I believe is a decent price for the grade, but I'm unsure honestly. I'm new to discerning grades and values. I knew I wanted this book, so I got it while I could. I'll definitely upgrade when possible. Can you guys help me with with grading? I think this is somewhere between G and VG, but like I said, I'm new to that part of comic collecting. 

Looks well worth $20 to me!

1 hour ago, DisneyDevotee said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bI got this a few days ago. It ended up costing me $20, which I believe is a decent price for the grade, but I'm unsure honestly. I'm new to discerning grades and values. I knew I wanted this book, so I got it while I could. I'll definitely upgrade when possible. Can you guys help me with with grading? I think this is somewhere between G and VG, but like I said, I'm new to that part of comic collecting. 

If you are looking to buy low grade Barks duck books you will find they are plentiful. They printed so many and they were well loved and saved by many so they are not rare except in the higher grades. Which means if you are not grade obsessive EBay is your oyster and many books await at great prices. Patience is also key if you wait they will show up at the right price. A co-worker of mine came into work one Monday a couple of years back with a copy of Christmas on Bear Mountain (Four Color 178) he picked up for a buck at a garage sale! It was in decent well read shape! I told him it was the first Uncle Scrooge and gave him some comic bags!!

Golden Helmet is one of the classics, enjoy your book!

2 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

If you are looking to buy low grade Barks duck books you will find they are plentiful. They printed so many and they were well loved and saved by many so they are not rare except in the higher grades. Which means if you are not grade obsessive EBay is your oyster and many books await at great prices. Patience is also key if you wait they will show up at the right price. A co-worker of mine came into work one Monday a couple of years back with a copy of Christmas on Bear Mountain (Four Color 178) he picked up for a buck at a garage sale! It was in decent well read shape! I told him it was the first Uncle Scrooge and gave him some comic bags!!

Golden Helmet is one of the classics, enjoy your book!

Thank you! I do want to be picky on grades, but owning the books is more important for me at the moment. If I can find a nice, complete copy that presents well for a great deal, like this Golden Helmet issue, than I will gladly pick it up. I would eventually like to have the books without cover stains or creases and a decent spine, but those copies will be ones I save up for and work toward. My hopes are for next year to find Lost in the Andes, Volcano Valley, Only a Poor Old Man, and a few other books for a decent price like I did this one. Though I will also be keeping my eyes open for nicer grade copies and trying to save up to afford at least one or two of them in a nicer grade.

22 hours ago, DisneyDevotee said:

Thank you! I do want to be picky on grades, but owning the books is more important for me at the moment. If I can find a nice, complete copy that presents well for a great deal, like this Golden Helmet issue, than I will gladly pick it up. I would eventually like to have the books without cover stains or creases and a decent spine, but those copies will be ones I save up for and work toward. My hopes are for next year to find Lost in the Andes, Volcano Valley, Only a Poor Old Man, and a few other books for a decent price like I did this one. Though I will also be keeping my eyes open for nicer grade copies and trying to save up to afford at least one or two of them in a nicer grade.

Welcome aboard DD! Those are all wonderful books to own and read. The good thing about low grade copies is that you can handle them with no concerns.

I think you were spot on with your grading. With those two corners off it looks like a G/VG to me.

OK, I may be accused of spamming the boards by the time I finish posting this everywhere I can, but I thought the Disney fans in this thread might enjoy seeing the characters celebrating the end of WW2 in Europe. This is a tabloid-sized English paper - just 8 pages in all. Oh, and it's a book I've been looking for for a decade!

MMW_VE.JPG.aca0294d24cf85bad26c1346b6be3672.JPG

3 hours ago, AJD said:

OK, I may be accused of spamming the boards by the time I finish posting this everywhere I can, but I thought the Disney fans in this thread might enjoy seeing the characters celebrating the end of WW2 in Europe. This is a tabloid-sized English paper - just 8 pages in all. Oh, and it's a book I've been looking for for a decade!

MMW_VE.JPG.aca0294d24cf85bad26c1346b6be3672.JPG

The Mickey Mouse Weekly tabloid started on 8 Feb 1936 and nearly always had multiple character covers drawn by house artists.  This is one of the great ones.  It started as a weekly but over the years it experienced changes in publication frequency, size, and other characteristics. 

On 8/13/2018 at 7:24 PM, sfcityduck said:

WDC&S 137 (subscription variant) 9.4 white back from CGC today.  This is tied with one other book, a Dell File Copy, for top of Census, but mine has higher page quality (white v. ow/w for the file copy).  I tried to get CGC to note this as a subscription variant, but they would not, despite the fact that there are differences in the back cover art (and sometimes front cover art) for the subscription variants.  This one is super cool because it is a true "unicorn," a subscription copy without a subscription crease that ranks as the best copy!  (sorry about picture quality):

image.thumb.png.1eded382c3fd40d8a23717bf1f35a238.png

I think I did Duck collecting a service with this book.  I could not get CGC to note it as a subscription variant.  BUT,  I got Heritage to properly note it as a subscription variant on their auction listing.  I really think a high grade subscription variant is a very special thing that deserves to be noted.  OPG, CGC, and GPA may not note their existence ... yet, but I think the fact a book is a subscription variant does impact prices - usually negatively because those books often have a subscription crease and there is the unfortunate run where subscription box is awkwardly placed on the front cover, but this book deserves a subscription variant bump. I believe hard core Duck collectors will increasingly want subscription variant examples in their collections, especially where the variant is very high grade or the back cover art variation is more significant.  So I'm glad that Heritage has taken the first step in recognition that subscription variants exist and matter.  Here's Heritage's listing:

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #137 Subscription Variant (Dell, 1952) CGC NM 9.4 White pages. Tied with one other copy (which only has off-white pages) for CGC's highest-grade for the issue, this is just the fourth graded copy that we have ever encountered, and is quite possibly the nicest copy of #137 in existence. It is also one of the rare Subscription Variants, which are seldom found without a subscription crease (this copy has no such crease), and has a different back cover from the Newsstand editions. Carl Barks provided the cover art, and a Donald Duck story and art for this impressive duck-filled issue. Huey, Dewey, and Louie appear. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/walt-disney-s-comics-and-stories-137-dell-1952-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/p/7192-195002.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/3/2018 at 3:13 PM, sfcityduck said:

I think I did Duck collecting a service with this book.  I could not get CGC to note it as a subscription variant.  BUT,  I got Heritage to properly note it as a subscription variant on their auction listing.  I really think a high grade subscription variant is a very special thing that deserves to be noted.  OPG, CGC, and GPA may not note their existence ... yet, but I think the fact a book is a subscription variant does impact prices - usually negatively because those books often have a subscription crease and there is the unfortunate run where subscription box is awkwardly placed on the front cover, but this book deserves a subscription variant bump. I believe hard core Duck collectors will increasingly want subscription variant examples in their collections, especially where the variant is very high grade or the back cover art variation is more significant.  So I'm glad that Heritage has taken the first step in recognition that subscription variants exist and matter.  Here's Heritage's listing:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/walt-disney-s-comics-and-stories-137-dell-1952-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/p/7192-195002.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Wow.  Tough to believe that book ever went through the mail. 

Was there a recent (past six months or so) auction of the Church copy of FC 386?  I thought I remember somebody posting either in this thread or the Four Color thread that he regretted not bidding enough to win it.

I was thinking again about the absence of Barks Duck books in the Church collection, but then I remembered (or imagined!) someone referencing the Church copy of FC 386.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Was there a recent (past six months or so) auction of the Church copy of FC 386?  I thought I remember somebody posting either in this thread or the Four Color thread that he regretted not bidding enough to win it.

I was thinking again about the absence of Barks Duck books in the Church collection, but then I remembered (or imagined!) someone referencing the Church copy of FC 386.

Not sure, but there were some Church Four Colors for sure. Here's a couple of them:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-116-mickey-mouse-mile-high-pedigree-dell-1946-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7189-93057.s

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-94-winnie-winkle-mile-high-pedigree-dell-1946-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7093-93135.s

50 minutes ago, AJD said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Not sure, but there were some Church Four Colors for sure. Here's a couple of them:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-116-mickey-mouse-mile-high-pedigree-dell-1946-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7189-93057.s

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-94-winnie-winkle-mile-high-pedigree-dell-1946-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7093-93135.s

Yes, we've seen a bunch of Church Four Colors.  I've won a couple of them.

But I don't know if we've seen one of the Barks duck issues.  In fact, I can't remember seeing any duck issues, whether by Barks or not ... unless I'm remembering correctly about the Church copy of FC 386 being auctioned relatively recently.  Thought sure it was discussed a thread.  But maybe it was another ped copy of that issue. 

53 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yes, we've seen a bunch of Church Four Colors.  I've won a couple of them.

But I don't know if we've seen one of the Barks duck issues.  In fact, I can't remember seeing any duck issues, whether by Barks or not ... unless I'm remembering correctly about the Church copy of FC 386 being auctioned relatively recently.  Thought sure it was discussed a thread.  But maybe it was another ped copy of that issue. 

It was me! :cry: This book still haunts my dreams.

https://hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/224078/FOUR-COLOR-386-MARCH-1952-CGC-90-VFNM-UNCLE-SCROOGE-DONALD-DUCK-MILE-HIGH-PEDIGREE