• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #137 (Dell, 1952) CGC NM 9.4 Whitepages....

I'm pleased to say the early bidding is showing some respect for the high grade subscription variant!  I'm not at all surprised, but I'm really pleased that the book is being recognized for what it is. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/walt-disney-s-comics-and-stories-137-dell-1952-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7192-92221.s?ic2=myconsignmentspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyConsignment-112816

5 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #137 (Dell, 1952) CGC NM 9.4 Whitepages....

I'm pleased to say the early bidding is showing some respect for the high grade subscription variant!  I'm not at all surprised, but I'm really pleased that the book is being recognized for what it is. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/walt-disney-s-comics-and-stories-137-dell-1952-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7192-92221.s?ic2=myconsignmentspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyConsignment-112816

Its a great book!  If another book that has been on my wantlist for a long-time hadn't surfaced, I'd be tempted. :) 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:52 PM, MrBedrock said:

mickeymousefc157.jpg

That comic ties in with the feature length cartoon "Fun and Fancy Free".  It was also rebroadcast many times on Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color.  I like to keep it in the Disney Four Color box with other works by Barks, such as, The Riddle of the Red Hat and Porky Pig of the Mounties and non-Barks items like Three Cabelleros and Song of the South.

23510745153_6527162f8b_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 10/28/2018 at 10:12 AM, sfcityduck said:

9.4 file copy sold in 2009 for $1,792.50.

9.4 subscription copy sold in 2018 for $2,880.00.

For those that know the Duck market, that's a really really strong result.

Looks to me like the high grade subscription variant got the respect it deserved.

5 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

9.4 file copy sold in 2009 for $1,792.50.

9.4 subscription copy sold in 2018 for $2,880.00.

For those that know the Duck market, that's a really really strong result.

Looks to me like the high grade subscription variant got the respect it deserved.

OK, call me dim, but what is a subscription variant?

On 10/28/2018 at 9:50 AM, sfcityduck said:

I'll raise your 328 (but, not for long, it's up at Heritage right now):

IMG_0006.jpg

The 9.6 FC 328, on the other hand, did not get the same respect.  I was expecting this book to sell for less than the 9.6 FC 328 sold in Heritage's last auction.  But, I thought it would be about $600 less, not the $1,200 less that was the result. 

The back to back auctions of 9.6s probably hurt - the lack of that one bidder who got one last auction made a difference.  I also think the date stamp probably hurt the book compared to the file copy.  

However, collectively the FC 328 and WDC&S 137 yielded almot exactly what I expected, in fact a bit more - $6,240; just not the way I expected.  

1 minute ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

OK, call me dim, but what is a subscription variant?

Dell allowed comic buyers to subscribe to WDC&S.  The newsstand copies and the subscription variants, depending on what part of the run we're discussing, either (1) had different back cover art - with the subscription variant having the subscribers name and address printed on the back cover or (2) had the subscribers name and address printed in a black space on the front cover (sort of like a UPC symbol).  

Because the subscription variants were often vertically folded straight down the middle, they are very hard to find in high grade.  

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Dell allowed comic buyers to subscribe to WDC&S.  The newsstand copies and the subscription variants, depending on what part of the run we're discussing, either (1) had different back cover art - with the subscription variant having the subscribers name and address printed on the back cover or (2) had the subscribers name and address printed in a black space on the front cover (sort of like a UPC symbol).  

Because the subscription variants were often vertically folded straight down the middle, they are very hard to find in high grade.  

Thanks.  Now I have to check all my duck books for variants...LOL

10 hours ago, Sackolantern said:

Fairly rare... sold a few hours ago on Comiclink:

image.thumb.png.7339333facd7c350325faaff07d624ee.png

I was high bidder on that one just before the close when I was out-sniped by two (or three?) bidders.  Congrats to the winner.  Book sold for a mere 5x guide. 

On 10/28/2018 at 10:12 AM, sfcityduck said:

I just got the grade for another book from this collection - a WDCS 125 (first Junior Woodchucks).  I'm not disappointed with the grade of 9.0 white (1/1 with three copies higher - 2 9.2s and a 1 9.4), which is right in my favored wheelhouse.  However, I am perplexed by a grading note which makes me wonder if they downgraded my book for something that I think enhances its value.  Here's the note:

"address/date/name stamp bottom of right cover"

WTF?  That's a reference to the the PRINTED subscription address on this incredibly high grade white SUBSCRIPTION VARIANT!  

Does the fact its in the grader's notes mean that they down-graded my book for being a subscription variant!?!  

I ask because THIS GRADER'S NOTE WAS NOT PUT ON THE ABOVE WDCS 137 THAT ENDED UP GETTING A RECORD PRICE IN HERITAGE'S LAST AUCTION.

But, they did put the same note on another books from this collection - a WDCS 139 9.0 White (1/3; 4 higher - 2 9.2 and 2 9.4).  

Opinions wanted and welcome!

I'm thinking about pestering CGC about this one.  These high grade subscription variants deserve accolades not a down grade because they have a subscription address!

Edited by sfcityduck

The Barks Ducks (and Disney stuff in general) seems to be down other than some nice slabs we see here. I know the OPG prices were ficticious, particularly as these books are more common than most others from the 40s and 50s, but I am awfully fond of them. Sold my nice FC 108 for not nearly enough because I needed money, held on to most of the others (mid or lower grade), but knowing there is a decent chance I can't sell many of the books I bought nearly 30 years ago for what I paid (and I got them "half off" and sometimes more then), I hate to put more real money into the venture. Anyone feel that this market generally might be poised for an upswing, or is the only action in the high end slabs? I just made offers on a ton of books that will probably irritate the heck out of the sellers, but frankly, last time I tired to sell any of these I got a small fraction of guide on most, so lowball is the only ball I feel justified offering.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

The Barks Ducks (and Disney stuff in general) seems to be down other than some nice slabs we see here. I know the OPG prices were ficticious, particularly as these books are more common than most others from the 40s and 50s, but I am awfully fond of them. Sold my nice FC 108 for not nearly enough because I needed money, held on to most of the others (mid or lower grade), but knowing there is a decent chance I can't sell many of the books I bought nearly 30 years ago for what I paid (and I got them "half off" and sometimes more then), I hate to put more real money into the venture. Anyone feel that this market generally might be poised for an upswing, or is the only action in the high end slabs? I just made offers on a ton of books that will probably irritate the heck out of the sellers, but frankly, last time I tired to sell any of these I got a small fraction of guide on most, so lowball is the only ball I feel justified offering.

Barks' Ducks are super-plentiful in lower grades.  But, I think they are not so plentiful in the highest grades.  Most of the highest graded copies are file copies, and those don't necessarily have the best PQ.   Still, I view nice presenting CGC 7.5 to 9.0 with at least ow/w as a safe purchase that will likely hold their value moving forward and worth doing because these books are one of the pillars of the hobby.  I don't think it is worth slabbing many Barks' books below 7.5.  But, I think the appeal will be lasting because these are iconic stories, by an iconic storyteller, about an iconic character.  You can never know what the future will hold.  Sure certain lurid covers get a lot of love now, but the next generation of collectors can see much more lurid pictures on the internet and might find that collecting goal a bit creepy in a "me too" world.

Edited by sfcityduck

This the WDC&S subscription variant I mentioned a few posts up.  For me, this is a keeper.  9.0 white pages (1 of 2; with one 9.4 and two 9.2s above it),  So a really nice copy, but not so high grade that I feel I need to cash it out and downgrade.

Oh ... and the First Appearance of the Junior Woodchucks!  

Plus, although Overstreet and CGC don't note this, it is Uncle Scrooge's second appearance in a story without Donald Duck:

image.thumb.png.20ecdc8ce26e72c80d547316ccbef419.png

Another WDC&S subscription variant from the same OO collection.  Also a keeper for me in 9.0 white ( 1 of 4; two 9.4 and two 9.2 higher) with a nice Barks cover:

image.thumb.png.e6cf53767368b9574defa23be93bc66c.png

As I mentioned above, CGC noted in the grading comments that there was a "stamp" with the subscribers name and address on the back cover.  I really hope that does not mean they downgraded it because it was a subscription variant.  That'd be adding injury to the insult of not noting subscription variants as such.

Edited by sfcityduck

I just got a few more nice Australian Disneys. These books have a nostalgia value for me far above and beyond their cost. The newer they look the more they take me back.

G556.jpg.b3c2d7a4f50d020bb9bc81297795a12a.jpg

No261.jpg.45487e129588ecaf0c8a5367c933a7c1.jpg

This one has been on my want list for ages - it is the first comic I can remember buying on a trip to Melbourne with my mother aged 8.

G512.jpg.5cdd123dfcc89a6bf68640ffc88f0aff.jpg