• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, AJD said:

This one has been on my want list for ages - it is the first comic I can remember buying on a trip to Melbourne with my mother aged 8.

G512.jpg.5cdd123dfcc89a6bf68640ffc88f0aff.jpg

Is there a better feeling than getting a hold of a book you once had as a child, remembering how good it was and "reliving" the reading experience?

No wonder you're a Duck man. This issue (with the exception of the back cover), is all Barks story and art.

Great get :applause:

On 12/18/2018 at 6:47 PM, sfcityduck said:

Another WDC&S subscription variant from the same OO collection.  Also a keeper for me in 9.0 white ( 1 of 4; two 9.4 and two 9.2 higher) with a nice Barks cover:

image.thumb.png.e6cf53767368b9574defa23be93bc66c.png

As I mentioned above, CGC noted in the grading comments that there was a "stamp" with the subscribers name and address on the back cover.  I really hope that does not mean they downgraded it because it was a subscription variant.  That'd be adding injury to the insult of not noting subscription variants as such.

Did you ever call CGC to find out if it had been downgraded due to the stamp? I would bet they would listen to an appeal.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:49 AM, Badger said:

Did you ever call CGC to find out if it had been downgraded due to the stamp? I would bet they would listen to an appeal.

No.  Never got around to it.  But, I did submit another batch of WDC&S subscription variants from the same original owner collection, including a WDC&S 129 which came back 9.4 white with no grader note about the "stamp" on the back.

The others in this batch were a WDC&S 98 (first Uncle Scrooge in title) which came back 8.0 white and WDC&S 69 (Walt Kelly "gun" cover) that came back a 7.0 white but presents much better.

I'll post them later.

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I agree.  At least from the front cover, that's about as sharp a 7.0 as you'll ever see.  One of my favorite Kelly covers.

Back cover is just as or more nice.

Grader notes reflect "light spine stress lines" and "moderate creasing" to front cover.  Go figure.

Edited by sfcityduck

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Back cover is just as or more nice.

Grader notes reflect "light spine stress lines" and "moderate creasing" to cover.  Go figure.

Seems like a harsh grade for a beautiful copy. 

Now, I was reading the "Donald Duck" #26 Yarn "Trick or Treat" and nine pages in Uncle Carl throws up this panel:

"Macbeth" Act 4, Scene 1.

These were supposed to be funny animal books for little kids, so he throws a little Shakespeare in. He sure wasn't condescending to his audience.

I know, the quote is very well known and what better dialogue for a "Witches' Brew" scene, but still . . .

100_1806.JPG

10 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Now, I was reading the "Donald Duck" #26 Yarn "Trick or Treat" and nine pages in Uncle Carl throws up this panel:

"Macbeth" Act 4, Scene 1.

These were supposed to be funny animal books for little kids, so he throws a little Shakespeare in. He sure wasn't condescending to his audience.

I know, the quote is very well known and what better dialogue for a "Witches' Brew" scene, but still . . .

100_1806.JPG

Love this story! Congratulations on the pickups! :applause:

On 6/15/2006 at 4:09 PM, Weird Paper said:

This has probably been up here already, but it's my favorite duck. I think I bought this from Adam Strange (if he is who I think he is)

1273990-Donald26.jpg

1273990-Donald26.jpg.6105dc0f2a365dc655a94c7c1e358249.jpg

There's a Donald cartoon that looks similar.  Is the story the same as the cartoon?  Are there other Donald books that retell some of the cartoons?

On 2/17/2019 at 2:39 PM, Badger said:

Picked this up from Heritage. Only 13 on the census but seems rare to me! 1942 Sears Giveaway.

WDCS_NN_Front.thumb.jpg.e06da1daaa0527fbf6426a9a44bccecd.jpg

Nice! What are the contents of that book?

9 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

There's a Donald cartoon that looks similar.  Is the story the same as the cartoon?  Are there other Donald books that retell some of the cartoons?

Very similar stories.  Here's what Wikipedia has to say:  "A print adaptation by Carl Barks was published simultaneously in the Donald Duck comic book. Barks was given a storyboard of the film by Ralph Wright while production of the film was still in progress. Barks was asked to create a 32-page comic adaptation, yet Barks did not believe he had enough material. In the end he wound up making a lot of his own material, even creating new characters such as Smorgie the Bad, a villainous eight-armed ogre serving Witch Hazel."

I believe that FC 9 is an adaptation of a cartoon that was never made.  But, many more cartoons are based on Barks' stories than DD comics based on cartoons.

Edited by sfcityduck

21 hours ago, waaaghboss said:
On 6/15/2006 at 6:09 PM, Weird Paper said:

This has probably been up here already, but it's my favorite duck. I think I bought this from Adam Strange (if he is who I think he is)

1273990-Donald26.jpg

1273990-Donald26.jpg.6105dc0f2a365dc655a94c7c1e358249.jpg

The cartoon is nearly exactly the same with just a couple of minor tweaks.

18 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Very similar stories.  Here's what Wikipedia has to say:  "A print adaptation by Carl Barks was published simultaneously in the Donald Duck comic book. Barks was given a storyboard of the film by Ralph Wright while production of the film was still in progress. Barks was asked to create a 32-page comic adaptation, yet Barks did not believe he had enough material. In the end he wound up making a lot of his own material, even creating new characters such as Smorgie the Bad, a villainous eight-armed ogre serving Witch Hazel."

I believe that FC 9 is an adaptation of a cartoon that was never made.  But, many more cartoons are based on Barks' stories than DD comics based on cartoons.

When I was in high school you could actually go to the local County Library and rent 16MM film prints. I took it upon myself to rent a copy of Bartleby the Scribener for my AP English class but decided a cartoon should be shown first! My choice was Donald Duck Trick or Treat. As we showed it the school principal poked his head in the door and had a surprised look on his face! Hey, classic literature takes all forms!