• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Badger said:
4 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I've probably read before but I always enjoy reading again in the original form! Plus it's got a great Kelly cover! Oh and I didn't even realize it is Gladstone's first appearance until now!!

One of the greatest first appearance stories ever regardless of genre.:cloud9:

I think Gladstone must have been a challenging character for Barks to work into stories.  Just as DC writers had to go some lengths to figure out ways that Superman could possibly be endangered, Barks had to figure out ways that Gladstone, with his all-conquering luck, wouldn't always come out on top.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I believe that most (maybe all) the reprints had some censoring.  Apparently, the zombie character was considered too scary and was party redrawn (not sure if by Barks or someone else).  There may have been other changes as well. 

I did not know that.hm

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I think Gladstone must have been a challenging character for Barks to work into stories.  Just as DC writers had to go some lengths to figure out ways that Superman could possibly be endangered, Barks had to figure out ways that Gladstone, with his all-conquering luck, wouldn't always come out on top.

True but he sure managed to do it well for the most part! Many fond memories of Gladstone and his amazing luck!

55 minutes ago, Badger said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I believe that most (maybe all) the reprints had some censoring.  Apparently, the zombie character was considered too scary and was party redrawn (not sure if by Barks or someone else).  There may have been other changes as well. 

I did not know that.hm

Me neither. I was scanning my copy and scanning through the story inside just last night. I should re-read it then! -

656119174_FC238.jpg.6f319e42d53784583c4d4644ab80c65b.jpg

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

As usual, my esteemed colleague, Professor Sqeggs is correct.

https://inducks.org/fr/richard/barks/censored.html

Swiped from Donald Duck's Atom Bomb Cereal Comic.  Used this photo shopped panel before, but worth seeing again.

876682227_ProfessorSqeggs.jpg.b406c0064a04809120f6486a0abe6794.jpg

Yet more childhood nostalgia added to my box of Australian Disneys. Both of these were big favourites at the time - a long Barks story and the 'Best of DD' series was great. Each one had three of the WDC&S 10 page classics. I can't recall how I felt about the price rise some time in 1975, but the odds are good I wasn't impressed!

G611.jpg.83d305b2b03829458c2d7b2ddd00beb0.jpg

G607.jpg.bc660659c806f7705092c338206aa6ce.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:31 PM, AJD said:

Yet more childhood nostalgia added to my box of Australian Disneys. Both of these were big favourites at the time - a long Barks story and the 'Best of DD' series was great. Each one had three of the WDC&S 10 page classics. I can't recall how I felt about the price rise some time in 1975, but the odds are good I wasn't impressed!

When I started collecting Uncle Scrooge, I had my brothers collection which started at issue 5 and jumped to 15.  I probably traded his earlier issues for Superman comics.  However, I filled in the gap and purchased the earlier issues.  The final missing issue was the Christmas issue from 1963 which I purchased from Beerbohm.  This underground classic was a favorite.  (all of them were until about 50)

5558519912_ea0e287c32_b.jpg

On 4/2/2019 at 10:33 PM, BitterOldMan said:

As usual, my esteemed colleague, Professor Sqeggs is correct.

https://inducks.org/fr/richard/barks/censored.html

Swiped from Donald Duck's Atom Bomb Cereal Comic.  Used this photo shopped panel before, but worth seeing again.

876682227_ProfessorSqeggs.jpg.b406c0064a04809120f6486a0abe6794.jpg

Professor Sqeggs does not guess these things -- he knows!

On 4/13/2019 at 7:33 AM, tth2 said:

There is an insane run of ultra-HG Ducks that'll be in the upcoming Heritage auction.  The nicest set on Heritage I can remember since 2006.

Do we know who the consignor is?

On 4/9/2019 at 9:31 PM, AJD said:

G607.jpg.bc660659c806f7705092c338206aa6ce.jpg

Is there a significance to having the three countries listed in the box on the cover?  Was this typical of Australian editions from this period?

On 4/19/2019 at 12:48 AM, Joshua33 said:

Subscription Variant in 9.4 White. Thought I'd show the back. Thanks SFcityduck for the book. When are those 9.0 subs leaving your collection? :baiting:

Really glad you're happy! 

I put up a thread on this before, but I generally sell off comics which are so highly graded that owning them is, in my mind, a bit of a sacred trust.  I just don't want to be responsible for preserving the "highest graded copy" of a book if there are NOT a bunch of others.  An example:  I sold a really high grade Duck to a board member for a price that was undoubtedly the record for that book.  He was so concerned about keeping the book safe, he offered to fly my wife and I to a very nice vacation destination near his home and put us up in a hotel AT HIS EXPENSE if I'd just deliver the book in person.  As much as I'd have loved to have done that just to hear his stories and see his collection, I had to turn him down due to the press of my schedule.  Instead, I shipped the book to him using the fastest and safest method I could find, AT MY EXPENSE ($500 to $750 if I recall).  I did so because I understood the stress he felt about the book and I was happy to pass that stress on to him.

Instead, I prefer to have nice looking comics that don't cause me guilt or concern when I'm displaying them on a wall (rotating of course).  For me, 7.5 to 9.0 is my preferred range.  So I tend to keep the 9.0s.    

However, I do have one I might want to unload.  If you really are interested, send me a PM, and I'll send you a picture if you want it to rejoin its brother.