• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
On 4/13/2019 at 7:33 PM, tth2 said:

There is an insane run of ultra-HG Ducks that'll be in the upcoming Heritage auction.  The nicest set on Heritage I can remember since 2006.

Do we know who the consignor is?

No idea, but it's a great collection! 

I haven't looked at the scans in detail yet to see if any are the same books that I sold on Heritage back in 2006.

9 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Instead, I shipped the book to him using the fastest and safest method I could find, AT MY EXPENSE ($500 to $750 if I recall).

:whatthe:

What did you do, charter a Brinks truck?

20 minutes ago, tth2 said:

:whatthe:

What did you do, charter a Brinks truck?

Very safe water proof professional packaging, relatively high limit shipping insurance, and a hefty premium for using a high speed, tracked, signature required, shipping mode.  I was paying for peace of mind, so it was no bother to me.  I would never want to lose/damage a book in shipping that could not be replaced.

17 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Is there a significance to having the three countries listed in the box on the cover?  Was this typical of Australian editions from this period?

Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei all have significant English speaking expatriate communities, and it seems that the Australian publisher got the rights to distribute Disney comics there in 1967, as evidenced by this WDC&S cover. The box appeared then and stayed until the run came to an end in 1978. Comics for the New Zealand market were also printed in Australia from time to time (though there were local firms in NZ too), so the NZ price appears here too.

No252.JPG.53891fd83f43226e82659b553d18da84.JPG

It has been quite some time since I've been on here and I've added a lot of great readers to my Duck collection since my last post! For starters, I finally got a copy of Uncle Scrooge #1/Four Color 386. This copy is pretty rough, cover completely detached, centerfold detached, and I believe the top staple is completely absent. But it is complete, the whole story is there, and it's still not that bad of a looker, considering. One day I'll have nicer. Second I grabbed Donald Duck #35. There isn't really anything significant about this book, I just really love the cover. I mean, it's a duck in rain boots. What's not to like? Third up we have Uncle Scrooge #2/Four Color #456. This one has a really rough spine, but again, great for reading! To complete the Four Color Scrooge set there is Uncle Scrooge #3/Four Color #495. For anyone wanting what I believe has been determined as Uncle Scrooge's first cover appearance, look no further than Walt Disney's Vacation Parade #2. This really is a beautiful wraparound cover and I'm really happy I was able to add it to my collection. Not really Golden Age, but I did add Uncle Scrooge #219, first Don Rosa story, to the collection. And last, but not least, I added a copy of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck to the collection, and it came with this card signed by Don Rosa, which I thought was pretty awesome. I got all of these for less than $20 a piece, other than FC386 and the Life and Times book. I've added a whole lot more than this to the collection, which I will share slowly over the next week or so. 

Scan_20190502 (2).png

Scan_20190502 (3).png

Scan_20190502 (4).png

Scan_20190502 (5).png

Scan_20190502 (6).png

Scan_20190502 (7).png

Scan_20190502 (8).png

Scan_20190502 (9).png

Scan_20190502.png

35 minutes ago, AJD said:

Great stuff @othereric - everyone should own that run! Some of the best comics ever in that lot.

Absolutely!  And focusing on the Uncle Scrooge run, it's a doable project to get the originals.  Not crazy hard but not a run in to any store and just grab them situation either.

Bugger me, no wonder I haven't been able to finish the run @OtherEric has been competing. With me. Cue confected outrage.

I require four more to finish it off, and given the likely source will be located in the USofA I'd love to soften the shipping blow by getting them from the same source.

Ah well, back to scouring the internet.

30 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I just picked up my first Duck book in eons.  So ironic that I'm getting it now, because it was one of the big holes in my collection when I previously assembled my high grade run, and one of the reasons I broke it up was my frustration at not being to find a 9.4 or better copy of this issue.

• Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Four Color #199 Donald Duck (Dell, 1948) CGC NM 9.4 Off-whitepages....

Nice! One of my favorite Donald covers!

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

I just picked up my first Duck book in eons.  So ironic that I'm getting it now, because it was one of the big holes in my collection when I previously assembled my high grade run, and one of the reasons I broke it up was my frustration at not being to find a 9.4 or better copy of this issue.

• Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Four Color #199 Donald Duck (Dell, 1948) CGC NM 9.4 Off-whitepages....

Love it! Congratulations!:luhv: