• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think the disagreement might have been over what to make of the the nick in the upper right corner. To be honest, you would think that would be enough to bring the grade down below 9.2 unless CGC decided that it was production related. 

It looks beautiful in the picture. I think I can see a few spine stress marks but nothing major. The tear at the top right could be production related but I do not know. Still, take the registry points and :)

On 7/29/2019 at 4:09 AM, Sqeggs said:

I don't, unfortunately, have any books with Barks's signature. I have a couple that have a label note indicating they are from his collection.

CGC or other? I have a #56 with COA from 'those guys who are not Voldemort'. The COA is very nice.

CoA_US56.thumb.jpg.88aafd36e3f1a1890289c696407b554c.jpg

On 8/1/2019 at 7:17 AM, AJD said:

CGC or other? I have a #56 with COA from 'those guys who are not Voldemort'. The COA is very nice.

CoA_US56.thumb.jpg.88aafd36e3f1a1890289c696407b554c.jpg

Mine was CGC. Can't seem to find a scan of it (or them -- I think I may have more than one).

47 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Nope. Mine also is from the "estate" not from the "collection."

lf_zpsfpkmmxqg.JPG

Collection or estate, I just wanted to have a book that "might" have been read by him. Never had the opportunity to meet him so its the closest I will ever get. :( Still, makes me smile when I look at it. :) 

Some of you may remember this book from a Hake's auction a while back.  I did not bid on it, not that I would have got it with what it sold for, but it stuck in my mind because I had always heard that there were no Duck books in the Mile High collection.  I visited Denver this week and had a chance to speak with Chuck about this book and the other "Mile High" Four Colors that were auctioned off at the same time. Chuck told me that he does not think they are really Mile High copies for 2 reasons: by the time Uncle Scrooge #1 came out, Edgar Church was retired and could no longer buy them off the stands. He bought them second-hand so high grade Mile High copies of anything from this period are rare. The second reason is that Chuck says he would have kept them for himself. Timelys and Barks were his favorite comics. He kept the Timelys for as long as he could, only giving up his Red Raven relatively recently, and he still has so many Uncle Scrooge in his personal collection,not Mile High, he does not even know what he has.

Looking at the other "Mile High" Four Colors that were sold by Hakes they are nice but mid-grade so that lines up with Chuck's contention of being bought second-hand. So, I'm confused. Does anyone know the providence of where these "Mile High" Four Colors came from? I assume they came form a big name like Geppi because Chuck says he was never asked by CGC to verify them. They would have no markings because they are later Mile Highs so that means CGC took the word of whoever submitted plus their own expertise.

Its a mystery. A mystery that goes against 40 years of "common knowledge". It would be exciting to see that "common knowledge" disproven.

fc 386.jpg

Finally coming around to reading IDW / LOAC's DD Dailies so I am taking advantage of that to post the dailies associated to some of the early WDCS covers.

Of the 3 below, at least 2 are much better in the context of the daily. The Beach Umbrella one is probably the one that stands the best as a single panel. The Midgets one only works as a strip and IMO fails as a single panel.

Note: Click on the daily to see it larger.

979502574_DDWDCSBeachUmbrella.jpg.2c93b035112d110b47ce3429e72145bf.jpg

706024103_DDDaily-BeachUmbrella.thumb.jpg.c302281ee447f54a156f65519feef076.jpg

Edited by Scrooge

On 8/17/2019 at 10:19 AM, Scrooge said:

Finally coming around to reading IDW / LOAC's DD Dailies so I am taking advantage of that to post the dailies associated to some of the early WDCS covers.

Of the 3 below, at least 2 are much better in the context of the daily. The Beach Umbrella one is probably the one that stands the best as a single panel. The Midgets one only works as a strip and IMO fails as a single panel.

Cool! Never knew this. I've always liked these early WDCS covers you posted; they are so unpolished and 'weird' compared to the slicker covers from the mid-40s onward, which are charming in their own ways.

5 hours ago, AJD said:

Wow, that's a beautiful looking copy Frank. Mine is solid but not that good. But while were starting a club...

large.5972a2672ccca_wdcs_013.jpg.7b71d5c826c6d72197c7ac191128f01e.jpg

That copy came from a run that Richie Munchin brought to a San Diego show back in the nineties. He had the first fifteen issues all just as nice as that. I could only afford one so I chose carefully and am happy with what I bought. Richie had a bit of a rough reputation and I have not seen him lately but if you got to know him and talked comics he was OK to work with.