• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Foley said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can someone help me out with what the "386-71" run means please?

I know you have the 3 issues of Four Color, then #s 4-39 from the Dell 1953 series, but then the numbering continues with the Western 1963 series, correct? I guess my confusion arises because the Western series goes up well past #71, so I'm unsure where the 71 in 386-71 comes from.

Sorry, there was probably a less confusing way to ask this.

This is the complete run of Uncle Scrooge drawn and/or written by Carl Barks. His last issue, which he wrote, was 71.

4 minutes ago, Foley said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can someone help me out with what the "386-71" run means please?

I know you have the 3 issues of Four Color, then #s 4-39 from the Dell 1953 series, but then the numbering continues with the Western 1963 series, correct? I guess my confusion arises because the Western series goes up well past #71, so I'm unsure where the 71 in 386-71 comes from.

Sorry, there was probably a less confusing way to ask this.

US 71 was the last Scrooge written by Barks.  He only penciled and inked the cover.  He wrote the -script for the main story and Tony Strobl did the drawing instead of Barks, so 386-71 is considered the Barks Scrooge run.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

This is the complete run of Uncle Scrooge drawn and/or written by Carl Barks. His last issue, which he wrote, was 71.

1 minute ago, BitterOldMan said:

US 71 was the last Scrooge written by Barks.  He only penciled and inked the cover.  He wrote the --script for the main story and Tony Strobl did the drawing instead of Barks, so 386-71 is considered the Barks Scrooge run.

Many thanks guys!

11 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

US 71 was the last Scrooge written by Barks.  He only penciled and inked the cover.  He wrote the --script for the main story and Tony Strobl did the drawing instead of Barks, so 386-71 is considered the Barks Scrooge run.

Except for 67, which is a reprint of #10.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:09 PM, Badger said:

Some of you may remember this book from a Hake's auction a while back.  I did not bid on it, not that I would have got it with what it sold for, but it stuck in my mind because I had always heard that there were no Duck books in the Mile High collection.  I visited Denver this week and had a chance to speak with Chuck about this book and the other "Mile High" Four Colors that were auctioned off at the same time. Chuck told me that he does not think they are really Mile High copies for 2 reasons: by the time Uncle Scrooge #1 came out, Edgar Church was retired and could no longer buy them off the stands. He bought them second-hand so high grade Mile High copies of anything from this period are rare. The second reason is that Chuck says he would have kept them for himself. Timelys and Barks were his favorite comics. He kept the Timelys for as long as he could, only giving up his Red Raven relatively recently, and he still has so many Uncle Scrooge in his personal collection,not Mile High, he does not even know what he has.

Looking at the other "Mile High" Four Colors that were sold by Hakes they are nice but mid-grade so that lines up with Chuck's contention of being bought second-hand. So, I'm confused. Does anyone know the providence of where these "Mile High" Four Colors came from? I assume they came form a big name like Geppi because Chuck says he was never asked by CGC to verify them. They would have no markings because they are later Mile Highs so that means CGC took the word of whoever submitted plus their own expertise.

Its a mystery. A mystery that goes against 40 years of "common knowledge". It would be exciting to see that "common knowledge" disproven.

fc 386.jpg

This deserves a bump. 

2 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

I managed to mess this up royally but I did just have another birthday.  The books are all there but not in order but in groups of 12 that are.  This is why I hate posting.

Happy Birthday!:headbang:

4 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

I managed to mess this up royally but I did just have another birthday.  The books are all there but not in order but in groups of 12 that are.  This is why I hate posting.

No worries, Rich. Still a great post and a great reference for those of us who love Scrooge!

4 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Recently a question was raised about which comics contained Barks stories containing Uncle Scrooge.  He was always a favorite of mine and several years ago I put together a HG collection of those books.  The Donald Duck issues and the Uncle Scrooge issues have been pictured many times, but here are the rest of the books in that collection.  I had thought I might sell them a few years ago and submitted a sample for grading, and you can see that the results are variable but all are nice.1792623867_CISDisneyHGbookswithUS2EMAIL.jpg.074d342d50e3f30fa0fd2154688c213b.jpg1792623867_CISDisneyHGbookswithUS2EMAIL.jpg.074d342d50e3f30fa0fd2154688c213b.jpg1792623867_CISDisneyHGbookswithUS2EMAIL.jpg.074d342d50e3f30fa0fd2154688c213b.jpg

CIS Disney HG books with US #2 EMAIL.jpg

CIS Disney HG books with US #1 EMAIL.jpg

CIS Disney HG books with US #3 EMAIL.jpg

CIS Disney HG books with US #4 EMAIL.jpg

CIS Disney HG books with US #5 CGC EMAIL.jpg

Love them “variables” Rich (worship)

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, BB-Gun said:
  • I noticed a news item on line that made me think of an Uncle Scrooge story.  I wonder if Barks saw a National Geographic's story about Harpy Eagles.

safe_image.jpg

Harpies.jpg

24460997858_345d88382a_b.jpg

Those early Scrooge stories were great.  I think "The Golden Fleecing" (upper left US 12) was a full 32 page story.  I have to go back for another read.  I guess they changed the name of the flying creatures from Harpies to Larkies due to the bad connotation of the original name.

1 hour ago, BB-Gun said:

Those early Scrooge stories were great.  I think "The Golden Fleecing" (upper left US 12) was a full 32 page story.  I have to go back for another read.  I guess they changed the name of the flying creatures from Harpies to Larkies due to the bad connotation of the original name.

I think the explanation is in Barrier's book. Someone at Dell thought that Harpy was a slang term for a prostitute and requested the change.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:09 AM, Yellow Kid said:

Recently a question was raised about which comics contained Barks stories containing Uncle Scrooge.  He was always a favorite of mine and several years ago I put together a HG collection of those books.  The Donald Duck issues and the Uncle Scrooge issues have been pictured many times, but here are the rest of the books in that collection.  I had thought I might sell them a few years ago and submitted a sample for grading, and you can see that the results are variable but all are nice.

CIS Disney HG books with US #1 EMAIL.jpg

CIS Disney HG books with US #3 EMAIL.jpg

CIS Disney HG books with US #4 EMAIL.jpg

Rich, your post is a good remeinder that there are some classic Barks' work outside the normal WDCS, DD  and US books. The Gyro one shots were really great fun and some of Barks' most inspired works. The Christmas and Vacation Parade giants also contain some classic memorable stories. I'm also a big fan of the very early Gold Key period and especially am fond of the Magica De Spell stories from this period. Those multi-panel covers were good fun and great a change from the old Dell covers. I've never managed to get a copy of Uncle Scrooge and Money, I'll find one someday!!

I picked up a nice copy of an Australian reprint of Uncle Scrooge #11, with a cover image adapted from panels in the story.

793915416_G333int1.jpg.a4acf7fe4bac9a6baf786712a378e275.jpg

G333.jpg.d5b597c074382332158e6f3e9f3cfab2.jpg

And how good is this panel of the Cotton Queen being raised with inner tubes and baling wire?

1917806806_G333int2.thumb.jpg.25131a4b6b23eb2fd7940f6fae205759.jpg

I've spoken to Leon and he wants his comic back :sumo:

Seriously, this is a great example of the page quality of the reprints done here. It has been more than 50 years since this comic was printed.

AJD has not "twiddled" the scan, the page here is as white as displayed. My experience is that the quality (with minimum "attention") does not deteriorate either.

Which does not bring me to my next point, but here comes the regular rant.

They are ducks. Why do they need diving apparatus?

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, AJD said:

I think the explanation is in Barrier's book. Someone at Dell thought that Harpy was a slang term for a prostitute and requested the change.

I remembered the change but didn't remember the source.  Thanks.  Barks also used the Larkies for one of his paintings.

48939856812_a0e6c2e9e5.jpg