• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Very cool Rich. I've never seen a complete set like that in the envelope. Here is a Christmas gift announcement.

wdcspremium3.jpg

Bob, those yearly notices make a wonderful collection and even after they switched to postcards for the last few, the art was still great.  The one you posted is one of my favorites.

Edited by Yellow Kid

58 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I found a new WDCS on ebay last week.  I usually don't buy the issues with covers by "that other artist", but I love this one.  I'd say it was worth $20...

==WDC&S120-7.5.jpg

That would be hard to turn down for $20!

59 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yeah there are deals out there from this era if you are patient..

There are so many of the late 40s and 50s books available that I doubt the prices will ever go up.  LOL  Probably not a great investment, but that's good if you're just a collector and want them...:bigsmile:

2 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

There are so many of the late 40s and 50s books available that I doubt the prices will ever go up.  LOL  Probably not a great investment, but that's good if you're just a collector and want them...:bigsmile:

Duck prices have been soft for years now. Every now and then one does OK - but that's typically "just below guide" as opposed to the "well below guide"! A good example is really nice 6.0 OW/W WDC&S #5 that Heritage sold this week for $720 (guide $768). 

1 hour ago, AJD said:

Duck prices have been soft for years now. Every now and then one does OK - but that's typically "just below guide" as opposed to the "well below guide"! A good example is really nice 6.0 OW/W WDC&S #5 that Heritage sold this week for $720 (guide $768). 

How do you think my WDCS 95 would do?  Guide, Over-guide, Under-guide?  1st Barks cover...9.2 or so...Looks like a 9.2 sold 2 years ago on HA for $1,254.00.  That's almost triple guide...

16370429389_ffa06c6404_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

3 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

How do you think my WDCS 95 would do?  Guide, Over-guide, Under-guide?  1st Barks cover...9.2 or so...

Tough one to say, especially raw. If it graded 9.2 it would be equal census high (3 in 9.2 to date, none higher) and would likely attract a premium. The one Heritage sold in 2017 went for 3x guide!

I think (but can't know) that if it graded lower the price would fall off pretty quickly and would likely be guide-ish.  2c 

2 minutes ago, AJD said:

Tough one to say, especially raw. If it graded 9.2 it would be equal census high (3 in 9.2 to date, none higher) and would likely attract a premium. The one Heritage sold in 2017 went for 3x guide!

I think (but can't know) that if it graded lower the price would fall off pretty quickly and would likely be guide-ish.  2c 

Thanks.  (thumbsu  There is a 9.0 that sold in 2009 for over $500, and it looks nicer than the 9.2.  I will never understand CGC's grading...hm

9 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Thanks.  (thumbsu  There is a 9.0 that sold in 2009 for over $500, and it looks nicer than the 9.2.  I will never understand CGC's grading...hm

You and me both! But FWIW I heavily discount duck prices obtained pre-2010 as things went a bit silly around 2006* and took a while to die back again.

*Egregious example: my 7.0 WDC&S #25 sold for $2,151 in 2007 but I bought it privately a few years later for $335!

52 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

How do you think my WDCS 95 would do?  Guide, Over-guide, Under-guide?  1st Barks cover...9.2 or so...Looks like a 9.2 sold 2 years ago on HA for $1,254.00.  That's almost triple guide...

I need one of these.  

I have sold very high grade Barks Duck books for well over guide.  

9 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I need one of these.  

I have sold very high grade Barks Duck books for well over guide.  

High grade ducks can do really well. There are more than a few deep pocket Barks collectors around the world. That said, even high-grade Barks books can slip through the cracks every once in a while and go for a "reasonable" price. As Overstreet says, "Prices vary widely on this book." :roflmao:I grabbed this off of eBay cheap enough that I almost felt I stole it.

FC_147_CGC_FRONT.9.4.thumb.jpg.eaf222bc214ecfb811328e4e4f356ed2.jpg