• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Kinda scary.  I think they made too many WDCS's...

Dell’s print runs were pretty high. Their distribution and sales were fantastic. Slightly surpassed by maybe only DC for the same reason. 

Parents bought them for their kids and many subscribed. They wern’t thrown away, burned at comic burnings or looked down upon.

When searching out comics out “in the wild”, I still find way more of them than other publishers. 

“Dell Comics are Good Comics”

10 hours ago, AJD said:

Tough one to say, especially raw. If it graded 9.2 it would be equal census high (3 in 9.2 to date, none higher) and would likely attract a premium. The one Heritage sold in 2017 went for 3x guide!

I think (but can't know) that if it graded lower the price would fall off pretty quickly and would likely be guide-ish.  2c 

That would do well I would think.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Wow, man that is pretty!

While I have no real way of knowing buying this book coincided with notes in the Buyer's Guide that file copies from Poughkeepsie were hitting the streets. It was so nice and clearly unread I just assumed it was one of those.

6 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

While I have no real way of knowing buying this book coincided with notes in the Buyer's Guide that file copies from Poughkeepsie were hitting the streets. It was so nice and clearly unread I just assumed it was one of those.

Did you ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?

I just picked up a small collection of Australian Disney comics for not much money. Mostly film/TV tie-ins, but there were a few ducks in the stack, including this high grade beauty.

G340.jpg.a80ab8eb0f12f18afae7ac3fad421e60.jpg

Less minty but still fun was this WDC&S

No225.thumb.jpg.284c1b55baf9c45adb39ff3900d75ef0.jpg

The local editors went to great lengths to ensure that the spelling was "corrected" for an Australian audience. See panel six for a cut and paste (literally, I suspect) of a letter 'u'.

No225int.jpg.d2278caaf8fceb70ee5dbc0c826c3049.jpg

This was the other duck book - printed around the time of the currency switch from pence to cents.

G360.jpg.d1b18c458d3098d597cb834d11c5a6e7.jpg

8 minutes ago, AJD said:

This was the other duck book - printed around the time of the currency switch from pence to cents.

G360.jpg.d1b18c458d3098d597cb834d11c5a6e7.jpg

First time I've seen this one. Looks like a strange mash-up of ducks and Dumbo - the latter without the trademark ears.

Ausreprints lists this but has no information regarding the internals. Can you enlighten this ignorant one? Or better yet, inform the Ausreprints site.

18 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

First time I've seen this one. Looks like a strange mash-up of ducks and Dumbo - the latter without the trademark ears.

Ausreprints lists this but has no information regarding the internals. Can you enlighten this ignorant one? Or better yet, inform the Ausreprints site.

My first thought was that it was a cut down (to 32 pages) version of a Dell Giant - HD&L back to school or some such. But it seems to be a local DIY package. It has a combination of Strobl-drawn stories and puzzles and the contents are from all over the place, including Dell books Christmas Parade #5 and #7 and Donald Duck Fun Books #1 and #2.

2 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Thanks. The package may be local, but do you think the cover was locally produced? I don't know of any Oz artist that could produce something like this.

Looks like Tony Strobl's hand to me. I'll see if I can find the source.