• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, adamstrange said:

"Back to the Klondike" is one of the great comic book stories.  It's too bad that it ended up being censored.

Years ago when I first learned that some of Barks stories had been censored, I just couldn't believe it.  Then I saw a packet with about ten pages of censored material and I was even more upset as nothing seemed horrible to me.  I hope that someone will post them so I won't have to try and find them tomorrow.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 7:44 PM, Yellow Kid said:

Years ago when I first learned that some of Barks stories had been censored, I just couldn't believe it.  Then I saw a packet with about ten pages of censored material and I was even more upset as nothing seemed horrible to me.  I hope that someone will post them so I won't have to try and find them tomorrow.

Here is the unpublished art for pps. 12, 13, 14, 15, half of p. 20, and the other half of p. 20 which Carl tried to do from memory for the Celestial Arts book.  Many other unpublished pages have been discovered for other
Barks stories.

USFC456 p12.jpg

USFC456 p13.jpg

USFC456 p14.jpg

USFC456 p15.jpg

USFC456 p20 lower half.jpg

USFC456 missing half page recreated 001.jpg

4 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Here is the unpublished art for pps. 12, 13, 14, 15, half of p. 20, and the other half of p. 20 which Carl tried to do from memory for the Celestial Arts book.  Many other unpublished pages have been discovered for other
Barks stories.

USFC456 p12.jpg

USFC456 p13.jpg

USFC456 p14.jpg

USFC456 p15.jpg

USFC456 p20 lower half.jpg

USFC456 missing half page recreated 001.jpg

Wow!

Why in the world were these pages censored?

Based on what I have read,  it was a combination of barroom activity, a major fight, the kidnapping of Goldie, and the breaking of the law in several ways, including not paying the taxes of his claim.  Remember, this was 1952 and the social-political climate was very different.  Today I think all of these pages would have been published without any changes.

I might add that the complete 32-page story published in color in the Celestial Arts book looks fantastic and is a great read.  If you scan it and print it on photo paper, you will have a real treasure.  

I think it's pretty obvious why they were censored, given that it was a mid-50s Disney product. In the early days the Disney stuff could be pretty wild - there are strips of Mickey trying to commit suicide - but Goldie drugging Scrooge and then him dragging off an unmarried woman for a month in a cabin in the woods... not quite the Disney style of the time. Remember that I Love Lucy broke conventions of the time by having a married couple with a bedroom that contained a double bed.

But, as Rich pointed out, times change, and Don Rosa got away with this in the Life and Times sequels:

wa04.jpg

:o

18 minutes ago, woowoo said:

FOUND THIS DONT KNOW WHAT TO LOOK UNDER TO FIND WHAT ITS WORTH ANY HELP BE GREAT @G.A.tor

Photo207.jpg

This is the 1943 Sears Walt Disney Comics and Stories Giveaway nn. The highest graded copy, a 9.0, sold for $2032 in 2017. A 6.0 sold for $531 in 2018. I bought this one raw in 2019 for $282 which ended up grading CGC 6.0 Universal.

WDCS_NN_Front.thumb.jpg.e06da1daaa0527fbf6426a9a44bccecd.jpg

Edited by Badger

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

This is the 1943 Sears Walt Disney Comics and Stories Giveaway nn. The highest graded copy, a 9.0, sold for $2032 in 2017. A 6.0 sold for $531 in 2018. I bought this one raw in 2019 for $282 which ended up grading CGC 6.0 Universal.

WDCS_NN_Front.thumb.jpg.e06da1daaa0527fbf6426a9a44bccecd.jpg

Thank's  this is the back cover looks to be solid vg\Fine 5.0

Photo209.jpg

Photo210.jpg

Flip phone picture to much glare and those blue things are not on the book

Edited by woowoo

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

Thank's  this is the back cover looks to be solid vg\Fine 5.0

Photo209.jpg

Photo210.jpg

Flip phone picture to much glare and those blue things are not on the book

I made an assumption from memory about it being a Sears giveaway. My copy is actually WeatherBird Shoes.I could swear I saw one of these with Sears being the sponsor but (shrug)

wdc&S_nn_CGC_Back.jpg

13 hours ago, Badger said:

I made an assumption from memory about it being a Sears giveaway. My copy is actually WeatherBird Shoes.I could swear I saw one of these with Sears being the sponsor but (shrug)

wdc&S_nn_CGC_Back.jpg

Interesting how they would change the sponsor. I wonder if they did that in the printing plant or afterwards. The Western Auto looks like it is printed.

5 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

When Leonard Brown and I first met in the 1950's,  he had already assembled a nice collection of the Donald Duck Four Color books.  To label his books,, he wrote the number of the book relative to Trick or Treat (#26) in the upper right hand corner of the cover and stamped the cover of his books with his father's address stamp.  As he upgraded his collection over the years, he sold the copy from his original set, and I took FC #408 as it was one of my favorite stories.   Because of the meaning that book held for me, I never tried to upgrade it.  However, lightning does strike twice, and I got this upgrade at such a great price from the guy who just recently sold me Back to the Klondike that I couldn't resist it.  Here is Leonard's original book and the one I just got.

DD FC #408 Leonard Brown Collection.jpg

DD FC #408 04062020.jpg

I remember first reading Barks' pretend Latin in that story and thinking it was so funny! Ickus Spickus Lickus was one I seem to remember! Another of the great stories with quite the theme for a kid's comic!!

Back in the late sixties and early seventies as a kid in suburban NJ the notion of collectible comics was still just that; a notion. The allure of real comics was more tangible and I was always looking for ways to scratch that itch. I discovered one great way; either on the newstands or at the rummage sales and flea markets, was to buy either giants or digests packed with reprints. At some point I became aware of Walt Disney Comics Digest probably around 1970. What a deal! Packed with reprints this is how I read many of the original Scrooge and non-duck Disney classics. Issue number 1 came out in 1968 and I recently purchased a copy on EBay. My eyes don't allow me to comfortably read these stories in this format anymore but it is great to page through this and be reminded of those great days of youth when for a few cents you could be entertained for hours!!

1410426972_WDComicsDigest1.thumb.jpg.237423c63b24fcbc3e26caa72f564030.jpg