• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Back in the late sixties and early seventies as a kid in suburban NJ the notion of collectible comics was still just that; a notion. The allure of real comics was more tangible and I was always looking for ways to scratch that itch. I discovered one great way; either on the newstands or at the rummage sales and flea markets, was to buy either giants or digests packed with reprints. At some point I became aware of Walt Disney Comics Digest probably around 1970. What a deal! Packed with reprints this is how I read many of the original Scrooge and non-duck Disney classics. Issue number 1 came out in 1968 and I recently purchased a copy on EBay. My eyes don't allow me to comfortably read these stories in this format anymore but it is great to page through this and be reminded of those great days of youth when for a few cents you could be entertained for hours!!

1410426972_WDComicsDigest1.thumb.jpg.237423c63b24fcbc3e26caa72f564030.jpg

Loved these books! :luhv:

During this same time period of significant Gold Key reprinting I got pretty adept at reading the story codes that Western would place on the first panel or page of the stories. That way you could determine the original source of the reprint. One interesting thing is they always referred to the Color and Four Color series in those notations as O.S. for One Shot! I always found that as interesting as no one ever referred to that series in guides as the one shot series and as we know even the comics themselves noted them as Four Color Comics in the early days. I suspect they called them one shots around the office or in the production rooms.

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

During this same time period of significant Gold Key reprinting I got pretty adept at reading the story codes that Western would place on the first panel or page of the stories. That way you could determine the original source of the reprint. One interesting thing is they always referred to the Color and Four Color series in those notations as O.S. for One Shot! I always found that as interesting as no one ever referred to that series in guides as the one shot series and as we know even the comics themselves noted them as Four Color Comics in the early days. I suspect they called them one shots around the office or in the production rooms.

I remember reading about the codes and what they meant but I do not remember where I read that. Maybe CBG?

I don't recall ever having a Disney digests (other than a few Gladstones years later) but I did like the Gold Key Twilight Zone and Boris Karloff digests. I read those to death.

Meanwhile, back at the duck ranch, the AUD/USD exchange rate has pretty much killed off my Dell WDC&S buying so I've been working on my run of Australian books. Two just in:

No141.thumb.jpg.a700b686ea2e488c71d3c435ccdd3a89.jpg

No211.thumb.jpg.dc011c32b0e0f88c86053af2a50dc208.jpg

2 minutes ago, AJD said:

I don't recall ever having a Disney digests (other than a few Gladstones years later) but I did like the Gold Key Twilight Zone and Boris Karloff digests. I read those to death.

Meanwhile, back at the duck ranch, the AUD/USD exchange rate has pretty much killed off my Dell WDC&S buying so I've been working on my run of Australian books. Two just in:

No141.thumb.jpg.a700b686ea2e488c71d3c435ccdd3a89.jpg

Just noticed your ticker progress. Congratulations on getting down to just six books out of 100 on WDC&S!

On 4/13/2020 at 11:57 AM, Badger said:

Just noticed your ticker progress. Congratulations on getting down to just six books out of 100 on WDC&S!

Thank you. I don't have 1,2,3,5, 14 and 18. Realistically the last two of those are the only ones I'll have a real chance of getting.

Edited by AJD
got my WDC&S numbers mixed up

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 12:50 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Interesting how they would change the sponsor. I wonder if they did that in the printing plant or afterwards. The Western Auto looks like it is printed.

Firestone giveaways were more clearly marked.  I found a few of those but never a giveaway of a WDCS Christmas issue from 1943 like you guys have.

29917239714_f1eb3df047_b.jpg

8 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Back in the late sixties and early seventies as a kid in suburban NJ the notion of collectible comics was still just that; a notion. The allure of real comics was more tangible and I was always looking for ways to scratch that itch. I discovered one great way; either on the newstands or at the rummage sales and flea markets, was to buy either giants or digests packed with reprints. At some point I became aware of Walt Disney Comics Digest probably around 1970. What a deal! Packed with reprints this is how I read many of the original Scrooge and non-duck Disney classics. Issue number 1 came out in 1968 and I recently purchased a copy on EBay. My eyes don't allow me to comfortably read these stories in this format anymore but it is great to page through this and be reminded of those great days of youth when for a few cents you could be entertained for hours!!

1410426972_WDComicsDigest1.thumb.jpg.237423c63b24fcbc3e26caa72f564030.jpg

The size may be small but those little digests were crammed with good stories.

2872521439_500306292b_b.jpg

8 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

The size may be small but those little digests were crammed with good stories.

2872521439_500306292b_b.jpg

I love Walt Disney Comics Digest 44, which contains FC29 Mummy's Ring, FC 256 Luck of the North, FC 275 Ancient Persia, and FC 282 Pixilated Parrot.  I did not realize that there was a Whitman variant.  I have the Gold Key version.  Learn something new on the boards everyday.

16 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Interestingly, early Australian reprints of many of the Four Colors and other Disney material appeared in a series called One Shot and the later ones were labelled OS.#, like this OS.60

1354456036_OS60.jpg.15bdc7fc7982f829563004e256629b5b.jpg

On 4/22/2020 at 5:23 AM, AJD said:

Three very nice copies there! :applause:

Thanks - I'm having a hard time putting the Four Color 199 away - I can stare at that cover all day.  

Please keep posting about your duck collection - I really enjoy reading about your almost (!) complete run of WDCS books...

15 hours ago, mlansdown said:

Thanks - I'm having a hard time putting the Four Color 199 away - I can stare at that cover all day.  

Please keep posting about your duck collection - I really enjoy reading about your almost (!) complete run of WDCS books...

Yeah, love 199. Depending on the my mood, 199, 256, and 318 rotate as my favorite.:x

fc318.thumb.jpg.f91bf4aea422b711a1e892959b522be8.jpgFC256_cgc_front.thumb.jpg.62bc84eb726a83977e7473ec91e7eb8a.jpg

fc_199_front.jpg

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

So, to be fair, Gyro is a chicken, not a duck.  I still feel this one fits in the spirit of this thread, if not the letter.  First Super Goof:

Phantom_Blot_2_Super goof.jpg

Is this a stand a lone or a four color?