• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Badger said:

Of course Donald Duck 26 and 27 are also my favorite. Hmm, I guess I cannot choose just one as my favorite! (:

DD_26_Crippen_CGC_front.thumb.jpg.f2a9009e519fd46b44d8e2c95fb2fcae.jpgDD_27_CGC_Front.thumb.jpg.8f5caf09b78b8d021d588ffc38ececa9.jpgDD_26_CGC_Front.thumb.jpg.03dbff96991b4230870f868f1fe27a22.jpg

Nice duck books!  I have a framed and Barks-signed lithograph of page 20 from Donald Duck 26 hanging in my guest bedroom.  Probably the closest I will ever come to owning an original Barks page.

33 minutes ago, mlansdown said:

Nice duck books!  I have a framed and Barks-signed lithograph of page 20 from Donald Duck 26 hanging in my guest bedroom.  Probably the closest I will ever come to owning an original Barks page.

I have a number of the lithographs framed and hanging in my bedroom. Fortunately my wife is  a duck fanatic too.  I lucked into buying  the preliminary oil paintings to "Menace out of the Myths" and I own a couple of Barks water colors but I would really like a page or a completed oil painting. Don't think either will ever happen but you never know. :wishluck:

On 4/26/2020 at 2:31 PM, OtherEric said:

Neither.  Issue #2 of the Phantom Blot series.  Yes, the Phantom Blot had a seven issue series.

The Phantom Blot series is a bit wacky.  It's a really crazy premise that you would make a villainous murdering phantom into an ongoing character in a kid's book but one I used to enjoy as a kid. Super Goof was even wackier and had his own series for many years. He would eat goobers from his garden that gave him super powers.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

6 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

A nice way to spend a little time in the morning

Ive never read “Only a Poor Old Man” from the actual comic itself, only the reprints. What a well spent Dime in 1952. 

D0A5E210-83EB-4F67-A9ED-BE6BEEDF1D5A.jpeg

B65A208C-A6E6-4937-AC78-2B0ABB3A3CBC.jpeg

I still remember reading this story in the Giant Reprint Edition with the paper cover as a kid. I vividly recall the scene with the money dam breaking! That book also contains a reprint of Mummy's Ring but I sure don't remember reading that; maybe my brother grabbed it out of my hands before I had a chance to read that story. Scrooge was always the great attraction anyway!!

Lots of Ducks coming up in the Heritage auction today.  :popcorn:

I recognized a few that I sold years ago, which allowed me to figure out who the seller is.  He put together a seriously sweet Duck collection.

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

Lots of Ducks coming up in the Heritage auction today.  :popcorn:

I recognized a few that I sold years ago, which allowed me to figure out who the seller is.  He put together a seriously sweet Duck collection.

I regret missing out on that FC 9 7.0 😭

The reprint in 1965 of Poor Old Man I remember reading as a kid is kind of a strange book in that it has unglossy paper covers. I'm not sure what this was about; maybe an experiment to save some money as there certainly wasn't any kind of supply limitation at this time. The book contains no ads and the Poor Old Man Scrooge story starts on the inside front cover. In between it and Mummy's Ring is a low rent Donald Duck tale that just pales by comparison to Bark's work. I picked up a decent copy a few years back for fun.

Here's the cover:

BestUSDDCover.thumb.jpg.ef91ff1d7582d3bf5b83242c71f3bc4c.jpg

Barks' Classic Tale starts right away:

BestUSDDPoor.thumb.jpg.affb0930090cdbae4c707e48771ba887.jpg

Here's the money breaking over the dam; this is the panel I remembered so well.

BestUSDDDam.thumb.jpg.84c50f08d36d144b555304bc423ed7a0.jpg

And the book ends with Mummy's Ring.

BestUSDDMummy.thumb.jpg.47a55718fdfbec5fc9f0859edc7cc3d8.jpg

Quite the bargain for a quarter back in 1965!

5 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

The reprint in 1965 of Poor Old Man I remember reading as a kid is kind of a strange book in that it has unglossy paper covers. I'm not sure what this was about; maybe an experiment to save some money as there certainly wasn't any kind of supply limitation at this time.

Gold Key for whatever reason decided to experiment with giant-sized books with non-glossy covers during that period.  There was also a giant-sized Tarzan with a regular paper cover. 

5 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Well I won the FC 178 9.0. No clue if it was a good price... Couldn't resist! 

Congrats!  That was a great pick-up and one of the few screaming bargains I saw in this auction!

16 hours ago, dikran1 said:

When you read these books, do you guys have the voice of cartoon Donald and Scrooge in your heads? 

Yes to both!  Makes the stories fun, as I love Donald voice, especially when he loses his temper!

18 hours ago, dikran1 said:

When you read these books, do you guys have the voice of cartoon Donald and Scrooge in your heads? 

Nope; I never liked the Donald Duck voice of the original cartoons and Barks' tales were so far removed from that Donald it never made sense. And I've only watched the more recent DuckTales long after I read these classics so that doesn't ring for me either. I don't think I hear any specific voice when I read them much like reading a fictional novel where you don't know the characters. Never detracted from the stories for me.

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Nope; I never liked the Donald Duck voice of the original cartoons and Barks' tales were so far removed from that Donald it never made sense. And I've only watched the more recent DuckTales long after I read these classics so that doesn't ring for me either. I don't think I hear any specific voice when I read them much like reading a fictional novel where you don't know the characters. Never detracted from the stories for me.

+1

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I find it works better for Scrooge than Donald. But in the later Life and Times stories I find it hard since Rosa uses a lot of cowboy slang and it becomes jarring to "hear" the words with the Scottish accent.  

4 hours ago, dikran1 said:

I find it works better for Scrooge than Donald. But in the later Life and Times stories I find it hard since Rosa uses a lot of cowboy slang and it becomes jarring to "hear" the words with the Scottish accent.  

I read the Rosa tales when they originally came out in the 1980's and enjoyed them but I have not read them since. I recently picked up a collection so it will be on my reading list one of these days. I just finished Volume I of the Silly Symphony Comic Strip reprints today; that was a fun read!