• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:
On 5/3/2020 at 7:34 AM, dikran1 said:

When you read these books, do you guys have the voice of cartoon Donald and Scrooge in your heads? 

Nope; I never liked the Donald Duck voice of the original cartoons

Same here.  Plus I could never understand what the hell Donald was saying.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 6:15 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

The reprint in 1965 of Poor Old Man I remember reading as a kid is kind of a strange book in that it has unglossy paper covers. I'm not sure what this was about; maybe an experiment to save some money as there certainly wasn't any kind of supply limitation at this time. The book contains no ads and the Poor Old Man Scrooge story starts on the inside front cover. In between it and Mummy's Ring is a low rent Donald Duck tale that just pales by comparison to Bark's work. I picked up a decent copy a few years back for fun.

Here's the cover:

BestUSDDCover.thumb.jpg.ef91ff1d7582d3bf5b83242c71f3bc4c.jpg

Barks' Classic Tale starts right away:

Here's the money breaking over the dam; this is the panel I remembered so well.

And the book ends with Mummy's Ring.

Quite the bargain for a quarter back in 1965!T

The golden age reprints of duck stories were particularly good.  Someone at Gold Key knew what they were doing.  I still have all of my original copies purchased in 1965/1966.

8827418540_a0289bda4f_b.jpg

14 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

The golden age reprints of duck stories were particularly good.  Someone at Gold Key knew what they were doing.  I still have all of my original copies purchased in 1965/1966.

8827418540_a0289bda4f_b.jpg

Yup they picked some of the great stories for those! I also liked the Dynabrite reprints in the early seventies as they printed them on nice paper. I still have those I purchased at the time.

I simply couldn't resist picking up these Spanish WDC&S comics recently.  Do any of these covers match any US versions?

I'm going to call the first one "Pandemic Donald"

These are great because they have non Disney stories too, like Martan the Marvel Man, 

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

2 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I simply couldn't resist picking up these Spanish WDC&S comics recently.  Do any of these covers match any US versions?

IMG_0806.jpg

I don't think they match any covers but I think the Donald and the Saint Bernard are from a daily newspaper strip by Taliaferro. I'm willing to be proven wrong. The fence looks like his work.

56 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

These are great because they have non Disney stories too, like Martan the Marvel Man, 

IMG_0806.jpg

Very fun; I also never heard of this series I was just looking at Grand Comics Database and this series had 900 issues! It must have been published weekly. Anyway they don't have all the covers but there are some interesting adaptations later of Scrooge and Four Color covers some done as painted covers! Really fascinating! A number of the early WDCS covers were also represented. Thanks for sharing; I wonder if there is a Spanish collector with a complete run? And I thought completing the US run was tough!!

13 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Very fun; I also never heard of this series I was just looking at Grand Comics Database and this series had 900 issues! It must have been published weekly. Anyway they don't have all the covers but there are some interesting adaptations later of Scrooge and Four Color covers some done as painted covers! Really fascinating! A number of the early WDCS covers were also represented. Thanks for sharing; I wonder if there is a Spanish collector with a complete run? And I thought completing the US run was tough!!

No kidding. That could be the work of a lifetime to complete. Great books!

On 9 May 2020 at 3:58 AM, Badger said:

I don't think they match any covers but I think the Donald and the Saint Bernard are from a daily newspaper strip by Taliaferro. I'm willing to be proven wrong. The fence looks like his work.

I agree. The dog (Bolivar - later  Bornworthy) is pure Taliaferro.

16 hours ago, AJD said:

Here's another Disney series that ran for over 900 issues, starting in February 1936. It was weekly until sometime in the war years when it became fortnightly (presumably due to paper shortages - it also became smaller and thinner).

I have only half a dozen of them, but I'm always happy to find one, especially with a special cover like this MM 8th birthday. This tabloid newspaper sized comic cost two pennies back in the day.

888560938_MMM361936.JPG.d88f3a2b9e7343be39fe4eadadd441d9.JPG

Here it is beside a regular FH book to show the size:

28039577_MMM3619362.JPG.0ba1c3726b48c75ad6e0c09251b260fb.JPG

And so I don't get kicked out the thread, here's a close-up of a yellow DD!

1432672265_MMM3619363.thumb.JPG.6105fac71d267e058b20a4f2b8090446.JPG

That is a pretty awesome find of a comic. The artwork is pretty nice as well and seems pretty on character for the era. Any idea who might have drawn the cover? Probably no credits inside. Two Disney rarities in one week on the thread proving you can collect Disney comics forever if you wanted to!!

19 hours ago, AJD said:

Here's another Disney series that ran for over 900 issues, starting in February 1936. It was weekly until sometime in the war years when it became fortnightly (presumably due to paper shortages - it also became smaller and thinner).

I have only half a dozen of them, but I'm always happy to find one, especially with a special cover like this MM 8th birthday. This tabloid newspaper sized comic cost two pennies back in the day.

What a great piece!

Thanks for the nice comments on the MMW guys. Here are two more. The VE Day issue on the left is one of my favourite collection items. It took a decade to find one, including a fruitless look through many second-hand book stores and antique shops in the UK. Eventually one turned up on eBay and there was only going to be one result in that auction.

MMW.thumb.JPG.f329f0794571dc59529f100ef1af9473.JPG

Here's another issue from late 1945, with some of the nicely reproduced interior stories. There were several text pages in each issue, as well as some UK-sourced non-Disney stories. The white King of Arabia is one of those.

345206846_MMW20October1945.thumb.JPG.722c3b266696e38437c9a61705e284be.JPG

581343748_MMWOct201945int1.thumb.jpg.3f1f3c45adae75b7d93c5ddf54349197.jpg

12127040_MMWOct201945int2.jpg.af661dfecf89bdce83962a0c457087e9.jpg

As I said, I have half a dozen - so only 914 to go!

15 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Really pleased to pick up this copy of WDCS 28 on the boards. Some minor amateur color touch on the spine barely distracts and the interior is super fresh. This book appears unread. A happy addition to my under 100 collection; long ways to go.

The deals that can be had on slightly restored books can be incredible. As long as the restoration is disclosed I have no problem buying restored GA anymore. Great book!:headbang:

That's a stunner Frank. That issue is a pretty one if you can get it in good shape. Mine is nowhere near yours but still looks good to me. How many of 1-100 do you have? I'm stuck on 94, with little prospect of much progress.

large.5972a33cce01c_wdcs_028.jpg.c49b36f3918be7940ee2a8aeeea0e3e8.jpg

59 minutes ago, AJD said:

Thaw a stunner Frank. That issue is a pretty one if you can get it in good shape. Mine is nowhere near yours but still looks good to me. How many of 1-100 do you have? I'm stuck on 94, with little prospect of much progress.

large.5972a33cce01c_wdcs_028.jpg.c49b36f3918be7940ee2a8aeeea0e3e8.jpg

That's a respectable copy of this early issue!

Well the bad news is I only have 24 of the first hundred; the good news is there is always progress to be made at that number! My earliest of the pre-Barks series is number 13 and of the Barks series number 36. Oddly I have three issue in the 30's in the post Barks series which helps but none in the 1-10 run which doesn't! Like I said a long way to go.