• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, AJD said:

Not the usual duck in these parts Karl, but that's a nice copy of that one.

hey lol its a 40 year old duck not an 80!  it is a true signature because i watched him sign it!  Poor howard....

Speaking of WDC&S 1-100, the sudden decline in my ability to afford American comics has rekindled my collection of Australian Disney books, my first love in comics from way back. There are about 2,000 of them and I've accumulated about 250 over the years without really trying - just sniping away at outlier cheapies on eBay and the odd market score. I don't think I'll try to collect them all, but WDC&S is a more manageable run (still 380 books though) and I have almost 100. Here are a couple of the 1-100 run Oz style.  They are generally harder to find in good shape than the Dell issues because of the newsprint covers. These are solid without being spectacular.

No082.thumb.jpg.cdf41ff0a546b25b3f0b516709d768ce.jpg

No078.thumb.jpg.a6421d2fdfec6f435716476dd63cdeb8.jpg

That said, I'm really pleased with the #78. As you see on the cover, it had a pullout 'extra' comic. You see that around sometimes but this copy has it still attached. I can't recall seeing that before, though I'm sure there would be others.

2129100463_No078giveaway.thumb.jpg.060afceae705599825510d28a17eb4c2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mac Man said:

:banana:

It is missing the centerfold I'm looking at a 0.5 PR technical grade but it presents nicely!

image.thumb.jpeg.733b393d59b91fe5a35e6bb5a0431900.jpeg

image.png

I'm only missing two duck four colors by Barks; Mummy's Ring and Pirate's Gold. Of the two Mummy's Ring is the one I would love to get! That's a great starter copy!

The other Australian duck comics I am collecting are the Uncle Scrooge issues. Unlike the Dell series, the Uncle Scrooge books here never broke out of the larger series. So Dell numbers 4,5 and 6 are numbers 24, 26 and 27, while #11 becomes #52. These are all nice copies of these fragile books.

G024.thumb.jpg.48ebad936249994ab67c3fa040a261ba.jpg

G026.thumb.jpg.29c9c6834963cae662f4c76afab91d89.jpg

G027.thumb.jpg.225b2f468556cb164a4c32add4da8373.jpg

G052.thumb.jpg.657cb1ce560bdc937e005dd1e979feb4.jpg

13 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's a price variant Christmas Parade too!

I don't think it actually is.  The Christmas 1958 Dell Giants had the 35c price tag, then they went to the "Dell Giant" blanket title, dropped the page count, and went back to a quarter.

I have a few of the 15c regular issue Dell variants, but I don't think I have any of the price variant giants.

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I don't think it actually is.  The Christmas 1958 Dell Giants had the 35c price tag, then they went to the "Dell Giant" blanket title, dropped the page count, and went back to a quarter.

I have a few of the 15c regular issue Dell variants, but I don't think I have any of the price variant giants.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I just looked it up on GCD and this title had 30c price variants in '56 and '57 then no issue in '58 (odd) and then only the 35c issue in '59. Dell did some interesting stuff with their pricing. The Pogo books were 15c long before any other standard comic as an example.

57 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Interesting, I didn't know that. I just looked it up on GCD and this title had 30c price variants in '56 and '57 then no issue in '58 (odd) and then only the 35c issue in '59. Dell did some interesting stuff with their pricing. The Pogo books were 15c long before any other standard comic as an example.

You're right, that missing 1958 issue is weird... the Bugs Bunny Christmas Giants didn't skip a year. 

The 15c Pogo's went back to 52 pages, after issues 5-8 were down to 36.  I wonder why they didn't hype the bigger page count to go with the price bump.  For the last three issues they went back to 10c and 36 pages, and threw in reprints from Animal Comics as well.  I've heard that annoyed Kelly... he felt the earlier stories looked poor in comparison to the then current ones.

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

You're right, that missing 1958 issue is weird... the Bugs Bunny Christmas Giants didn't skip a year. 

The 15c Pogo's went back to 52 pages, after issues 5-8 were down to 36.  I wonder why they didn't hype the bigger page count to go with the price bump.  For the last three issues they went back to 10c and 36 pages, and threw in reprints from Animal Comics as well.  I've heard that annoyed Kelly... he felt the earlier stories looked poor in comparison to the then current ones.

You've read the Kelly biography right? They talk a little bit about his relationship with Dell in there. The earliest Pogo newspaper strips also looked kind of odd.