• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

100 Scrooge “Sport of Tycoons” and 200 Donald “Sheriff of Bullet Valley”.  There were also several Artist’s Proofs.  The bronze statues are very big and heavy.  I bought mine way before I joined the forums.  Genuine bronze statues are very expensive and time consuming to produce, unlike the resin statues commonly seen.  I believe original retail at the Disneyana convention was $1800.  I also have a bronze bust of Doc Savage produced by Bob Chapman of Graphitti Designs.  Always wanted the Man of Bronze in Bronze.

D3B4ACE8-ADB0-4D17-8B6A-13733FE59382.jpeg

That is an awesome Bronze!! How big is that? I'm imagining 2 feet tall but it's probably not close to that!!

29 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That is an awesome Bronze!! How big is that? I'm imagining 2 feet tall but it's probably not close to that!!

The Doc Savage bronze is small, probably less than ten inches tall.  I called Bob Chapman when the bronze busts were available.  Unfortunately, the bust were expensive and honestly there are not too many Doc Savage fans who were willing to buy an expensive bust.  Bob only produced a handful of busts as a labor of love.  Bob Chapman runs the SDCC T-shirt business.

The majority of the bronze statues will not appreciate in value.  I bought my statues, because I enjoy them when I bought them and still enjoy them today.

On 5/25/2020 at 10:10 PM, AJD said:

The other Australian duck comics I am collecting are the Uncle Scrooge issues. Unlike the Dell series, the Uncle Scrooge books here never broke out of the larger series. So Dell numbers 4,5 and 6 are numbers 24, 26 and 27, while #11 becomes #52. These are all nice copies of these fragile books.

G024.thumb.jpg.48ebad936249994ab67c3fa040a261ba.jpg

G026.thumb.jpg.29c9c6834963cae662f4c76afab91d89.jpg

G027.thumb.jpg.225b2f468556cb164a4c32add4da8373.jpg

G052.thumb.jpg.657cb1ce560bdc937e005dd1e979feb4.jpg

Great covers. I find myself wondering if it is feasible to find a copy of a:

au_wdj_002a_001.jpeg.73b2c78e3218a4af99a855ace57fa6cb.jpeg

It's Father's Day and I decided to spend a couple of hours continuing my stroll through my comic boxes. I am assessing how many new bags I need to buy as well as boxes. I finished my sixties / seventies Marvels (not too many but the full Cap TOS run) and then got into the Disney boxes. Lots of beaters from the fifties from my old flea market finds as a kid and decent runs of Gold Key from '72 through '82 or so. Some interesting odds and ends like Dynabrites and some intact three packs and some giants both from the fifites and two monster giants from '77 I remember buying. Anyway I got to the Donald Duck box and came across Donald Duck #30. This issue is special to me as I purchased it at the very first specialty comics store I had ever been to in New York City back in 1972 or 1973. I had seen an ad for the store in the Overstreet Guide and convinced my Grandmother to take a jaunt with me from the Jersey Shore. She would have been about 75 at the time. She had grown up in Manhattan and loved to walk in the city. Not having much money we walked from Penn Station (about 3oth street) the forty blocks north to the store and then back to avoid the subway fare. Great memories and while not a great book from the collector's POV it's precious to me.

1035526780_DD30.thumb.jpg.2f325a5314236f8a99179613fbd97a38.jpg

The I came across this gem from my flea market days. I remember finding these old Dells and really being impressed at the time back in the seventies. The quality of new comics had really deteriorated with cheap paper and printing and these old Dells felt solid in the hand and held up to the ravages of time better than the current books. Besides that it was actually cool that they could publish an educational comic that was actually fun to read! Dell comics really were good comics!

311255190_DDMath.thumb.jpg.8329477a9cedf11d32a6da1d749d63e6.jpg

13 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

It's Father's Day and I decided to spend a couple of hours continuing my stroll through my comic boxes. I am assessing how many new bags I need to buy as well as boxes. I finished my sixties / seventies Marvels (not too many but the full Cap TOS run) and then got into the Disney boxes. Lots of beaters from the fifties from my old flea market finds as a kid and decent runs of Gold Key from '72 through '82 or so. Some interesting odds and ends like Dynabrites and some intact three packs and some giants both from the fifites and two monster giants from '77 I remember buying. Anyway I got to the Donald Duck box and came across Donald Duck #30. This issue is special to me as I purchased it at the very first specialty comics store I had ever been to in New York City back in 1972 or 1973. I had seen an ad for the store in the Overstreet Guide and convinced my Grandmother to take a jaunt with me from the Jersey Shore. She would have been about 75 at the time. She had grown up in Manhattan and loved to walk in the city. Not having much money we walked from Penn Station (about 3oth street) the forty blocks north to the store and then back to avoid the subway fare. Great memories and while not a great book from the collector's POV it's precious to me.

Forty blocks? And she was 75?

That is "superhuman".

Can you remember what store it was? Cannot have been Supersnipe as it was further north at 84th St

2 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Forty blocks? And she was 75?

That is "superhuman".

Can you remember what store it was? Cannot have been Supersnipe as it was further north at 84th St

No it was Supersnipe; couldn't forget the name. My memory on the location is faulty. So we walked even further! Yes Grandmom was a special person and always acted way younger than her years; she lived to be 90 in her own home to the end. She even took me to visit the DC comic offices on one trip; we didn't get too far but it was still fun to walk in and say hi to the receptionist and meet some artists in the elevator!

16 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

1035526780_DD30.thumb.jpg.2f325a5314236f8a99179613fbd97a38.jpg

Last time I walked across Manhattan, I was 65.  I walked across the short way at 70 but I don't think I could walk all the way across the long way (42nd to 85th) now. 

I purchased a lot of fillers in the past 20 years.  I started with a large collection of Uncle Scrooge that had belonged to my older brother but the first 10 issues were missing (I bought and sold two copies of those early Scrooge books).  My younger brother liked the Christmas Parade stories (Gold Key).  I purchased all of the Dell Christmas Parade issues to complete that collection.  I struggled to find all of the four color Donald Duck issues but found it easier to find the Donald Duck filler issues.

8816827807_08b843f736_b.jpg24460997858_345d88382a_b.jpg6990287767_711c3082c8_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

34 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

Last time I walked across Manhattan, I was 65.  I walked across the short way at 70 but I don't think I could walk all the way across the long way (42nd to 85th) now. 

I purchased a lot of fillers in the past 20 years.  I started with a large collection of Uncle Scrooge that had belonged to my older brother but the first 10 issues were missing (I bought and sold two copies of those early Scrooge books).  My younger brother liked the Christmas Parade stories (Gold Key).  I purchased all of the Dell Christmas Parade issues to complete that collection.  I struggled to find all of the four color Donald Duck issues but found it easier to find the Donald Duck filler issues.

8816827807_08b843f736_b.jpg24460997858_345d88382a_b.jpg6990287767_711c3082c8_b.jpg

That's a nice collection.

I bought most of my duck books back in the seventies when prices weren't too bad. I bought a big collection of most of the Four Colors from an original owner in NJ close to where I grew up. Phil Seuling's NY shows were also a good source for this material back then. I filled in the rest of the DD FC's and upgraded and literally have the second to last I need coming in this week (it's a big one!)

The first Vacation Parade and first two Christmas Parades are pretty amazing books. All of mine are sub par with major defects or restoration. I'd like to upgrade but they are pricey and I'd rather concentrate on the WDCS 1-100 run.

My US collection while complete has some real beaters present in the early numbers. I would buy these books for pocket change back then and I loved the stories and never thought about upgrading. Luckily I did buy an Uncle Scrooge 1 for $100 in '77 that is probably an 8.5 or a 9.0.

Somewhat under-appreciated but the early Four Color movie adaptations and spin-offs are a great mini-collection. I will post mine sometime as I have all but Dumbo in that run. Some are quite nice a few a bit rough.

As for NY walking we last walked as a family from Columbia University (showing the kids the school) down to Columbus Circle on Broadway about six years ago. I would have been in my mid-fifties. I could still do it today I think without much issue as I walk every day for exercise. I miss the days of wandering Manhattan; always something new around every corner!!

22 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's a nice collection.

I bought most of my duck books back in the seventies when prices weren't too bad. I bought a big collection of most of the Four Colors from an original owner in NJ close to where I grew up. Phil Seuling's NY shows were also a good source for this material back then. I filled in the rest of the DD FC's and upgraded and literally have the second to last I need coming in this week (it's a big one!)

The first Vacation Parade and first two Christmas Parades are pretty amazing books. All of mine are sub par with major defects or restoration. I'd like to upgrade but they are pricey and I'd rather concentrate on the WDCS 1-100 run.

My US collection while complete has some real beaters present in the early numbers. I would buy these books for pocket change back then and I loved the stories and never thought about upgrading. Luckily I did buy an Uncle Scrooge 1 for $100 in '77 that is probably an 8.5 or a 9.0.

Somewhat under-appreciated but the early Four Color movie adaptations and spin-offs are a great mini-collection. I will post mine sometime as I have all but Dumbo in that run. Some are quite nice a few a bit rough.

As for NY walking we last walked as a family from Columbia University (showing the kids the school) down to Columbus Circle on Broadway about six years ago. I would have been in my mid-fifties. I could still do it today I think without much issue as I walk every day for exercise. I miss the days of wandering Manhattan; always something new around every corner!!

Columbia to Columbus Circle is a long walk (60th to 120th).  We usually walked from Columbus Circle to the train station (Grand Central)and occasionally from the Natural History Museum (81st) down to 42nd street.

On 6/20/2020 at 11:16 PM, AJD said:

There was one of those on eBay in the past 12 months. It was too rich for me - from memory around $1,500? I have the next one along though:

AJ_mummy_front.jpg.8eab8c5f681cb4f10686a0393f81b0a1.jpg

Really? I am fairly impressed. US or Australian Ebay? My "wanderings" on Australian Ebay have been somewhat disappointing. Not so much on the Disney side, but on super-hero front. By far the most usual is US material!

On 6/21/2020 at 9:24 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

The I came across this gem from my flea market days. I remember finding these old Dells and really being impressed at the time back in the seventies. The quality of new comics had really deteriorated with cheap paper and printing and these old Dells felt solid in the hand and held up to the ravages of time better than the current books. Besides that it was actually cool that they could publish an educational comic that was actually fun to read! Dell comics really were good comics!

311255190_DDMath.thumb.jpg.8329477a9cedf11d32a6da1d749d63e6.jpg

There is also that cool Uncle Scrooge version, where he tells his nephews the story of money:

us_usm_001_00_001.jpg

So here's a bit of fun. This is WDC&S #193. The artist (GCD says Paul Murry) has included a fake newspaper headline about a sugar crop failure and 'candy crisis'.

690204425_WDCS193.thumb.jpg.a38dbb87b2c50035278aae5db9084d29.jpg

The Australian editions of Disney books often replaced "Americanisms" with local dialogue, visible as obvious paste-ins. The reprint of this issue has favor --> favour in several places, for example. But in this case I suspect there was a discussion that went like this:

D: Hey, Bruce, do you know of any local papers called the Morning Star?

B: Nah, Doug, never heard of it. Must be a Yank paper.

D: Hmm, that's what I thought - better replace it with something. Have you got today's Tele handy?          (Daily Telegraph)

B: Yeah, but I haven't read it.

D: That's OK, just give me a chunk of a bit you won't read. The classified ads will do.

B: No worries, here ya go... *rip*.

D: Hey, what's a lubritoriam?

No205.jpg.1a08d9b8ed5fd167bd150a5bd2ea8f7b.jpg

831810257_No205inset.jpg.8e8b718aaec06fb5d68e8583d7cc30c4.jpg