• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, AJD said:

So here's a bit of fun. This is WDC&S #193. The artist (GCD says Paul Murry) has included a fake newspaper headline about a sugar crop failure and 'candy crisis'.

Whee Australian editions of Disney books often replaced "Americanisms" with local dialogue, visible as obvious paste-ins. The reprint of this issue has favor --> favour in several places, for example. But in this case I suspect there was a discussion that went like this:

D: Hey, Bruce, do you know of any local papers called the Morning Star?

B: Nah, Doug, never heard of it. Must be a Yank paper.

D: Hmm, that's what I thought - better replace it with something. Have you got today's Tele handy?          (Daily Telegraph)

B: Yeah, but I haven't read it.

D: That's OK, just give me a chunk of a bit you won't read. The classified ads will do.

B: No worries, here ya go... *rip*.

D: Hey, what's a lubritoriam?

No205.jpg.1a08d9b8ed5fd167bd150a5bd2ea8f7b.jpg

831810257_No205inset.jpg.8e8b718aaec06fb5d68e8583d7cc30c4.jpg

Where did you get this cover? The Australian that I found is this one:

au_wdc_128a_001.png&normalsize=1

What is the most unusual is that this one is the only one, among more than 10 international editions where everything seems to be mirrored to the right.

20 hours ago, AJD said:

So here's a bit of fun. This is WDC&S #193. The artist (GCD says Paul Murry) has included a fake newspaper headline about a sugar crop failure and 'candy crisis'.

690204425_WDCS193.thumb.jpg.a38dbb87b2c50035278aae5db9084d29.jpg

The Australian editions of Disney books often replaced "Americanisms" with local dialogue, visible as obvious paste-ins. The reprint of this issue has favor --> favour in several places, for example. But in this case I suspect there was a discussion that went like this:

D: Hey, Bruce, do you know of any local papers called the Morning Star?

B: Nah, Doug, never heard of it. Must be a Yank paper.

D: Hmm, that's what I thought - better replace it with something. Have you got today's Tele handy?          (Daily Telegraph)

B: Yeah, but I haven't read it.

D: That's OK, just give me a chunk of a bit you won't read. The classified ads will do.

B: No worries, here ya go... *rip*.

D: Hey, what's a lubritoriam?

No205.jpg.1a08d9b8ed5fd167bd150a5bd2ea8f7b.jpg

831810257_No205inset.jpg.8e8b718aaec06fb5d68e8583d7cc30c4.jpg

Wonder if anyone got a job from that?

9 hours ago, Kromak said:

Where did you get this cover? The Australian that I found is this one:

au_wdc_128a_001.png&normalsize=1

What is the most unusual is that this one is the only one, among more than 10 international editions where everything seems to be mirrored to the right.

I hadn't noticed the mirror image! doh! That one you show is #125, the earlier Oz reprint. Mine is #205 from six years later.

33 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well after a couple of decades of looking for the right copy of this book I finally landed one of my duck grails; FC 29. It presents great but with a few flaws that dropped the grade to the point where it slid right into my price range. I actually like the writing on the back page showing the name of the original owner and the date of acquisition; it looks like he thought it was issue #1 in the series too. Guess he missed FC #9; and coincidentally that is the only duck book remaining to find for my Barks Duck FC set.

893248194_DDFC29Front.thumb.jpg.f5ba1685da43fbe0a7ac7f78b26b9bb5.jpg

2041857976_DDFC29Back.thumb.jpg.59d97fd8807f680e4f1c5caee52e1149.jpg

What a great book! White pages.:luhv: Congratulations!

It’s not a Ducks but it is a Barks. I was following the FC 79 on ComicLink that just ended and it went for a price I could not fathom... 650$ for a 6.0!
I really wanted it but I was not gonna pay near 3 times guide for it... I don’t see it for sale too often but that’s a very strong price!

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well after a couple of decades of looking for the right copy of this book I finally landed one of my duck grails; FC 29. It presents great but with a few flaws that dropped the grade to the point where it slid right into my price range. I actually like the writing on the back page showing the name of the original owner and the date of acquisition; it looks like he thought it was issue #1 in the series too. Guess he missed FC #9; and coincidentally that is the only duck book remaining to find for my Barks Duck FC set.

893248194_DDFC29Front.thumb.jpg.f5ba1685da43fbe0a7ac7f78b26b9bb5.jpg

2041857976_DDFC29Back.thumb.jpg.59d97fd8807f680e4f1c5caee52e1149.jpg

That is a sweet comic. I am curious as to the notations on the back cover.

August 19 1943 is right as rain with regard to the on-stand/sale date of the book. What puzzles me is the "No.1" note.

If the notes were done at the time of acquisition, i.e. August 1943, AND refers to what Barks book it is that is an incredible feat. No one knew who Barks was, in terms of Ducks, in 1943. It wasn't until the 1960's that the "Good Artist" was revealed. To think a reader (very few collectors in 1943) thought that this was the first Barks book stretches credibility.

I think all the notes were done at the same time, but I get the feeling that the "No 1" may refer to something other than Barks. Maybe the "best" book in his collection. Maybe the oldest book.

There is also the possibility that the notes were added much later, by a subsequent owner, who knew who the original owner was - but how did they know when it was acquired?

Your thoughts?

17 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

That is a sweet comic. I am curious as to the notations on the back cover.

August 19 1943 is right as rain with regard to the on-stand/sale date of the book. What puzzles me is the "No.1" note.

If the notes were done at the time of acquisition, i.e. August 1943, AND refers to what Barks book it is that is an incredible feat. No one knew who Barks was, in terms of Ducks, in 1943. It wasn't until the 1960's that the "Good Artist" was revealed. To think a reader (very few collectors in 1943) thought that this was the first Barks book stretches credibility.

I think all the notes were done at the same time, but I get the feeling that the "No 1" may refer to something other than Barks. Maybe the "best" book in his collection. Maybe the oldest book.

There is also the possibility that the notes were added much later, by a subsequent owner, who knew who the original owner was - but how did they know when it was acquired?

Your thoughts?

That's a mystery I doubt we will solve. I looked up Mr. Joseph Crowell on Google and was surprised to find he was married only three years after he acquired this book in 1943. His wife would have been 21 at the time but I can't find his birth records with a simple search. So all I can suppose is he was an older collector which would explain the preservation and marking his books. As for the 1 who knows but it appears to have been written at the same time? Maybe the first duck book he owned?

The "turned back page corner" design on FC29 echoes the cover of WDC&S #1. I wondered if that was the source of the annotation. But, as 50YCC says, it's unlikely that we'll ever know.

12 hours ago, AJD said:

That's a beautiful FC29 Frank. It presents wonderfully well for a 4.0

I'm jealous now. :)

Well half the fun of this is actually the hunt for the right copy! Now that I've clicked off FC 29 I will be looking for some other duck grails (not many left) like WDCS 31. I can't seem to build up too much enthusiasm for chasing FC #9 so I may instead start looking into the Christmas giveaways as @Yellow Kid has suggested to me. Duck hunting continues! And of course so many fun holes to fill in the early WDCS run to keep me occupied in between bagging these bigger ducks!

20 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well half the fun of this is actually the hunt for the right copy! Now that I've clicked off FC 29 I will be looking for some other duck grails (not many left) like WDCS 31. I can't seem to build up too much enthusiasm for chasing FC #9 so I may instead start looking into the Christmas giveaways as @Yellow Kid has suggested to me. Duck hunting continues! And of course so many fun holes to fill in the early WDCS run to keep me occupied in between bagging these bigger ducks!

Catrick had one of the Firestone giveaways in his last sale. Nice copy at a decent price. It didn’t sell. Perhaps you might want to PM him and make an offer. He is always very agreeable to fair offers and a great guy to deal with. 

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Barks did not write the FC 9 Pirate Gold story, whereas Barks wrote FC 29.

If you don't have them already, have you considered chasing after the March of Comics Barks books?  I posted these before.

barksmarchofcomics2.jpg

1 hour ago, BitterOldMan said:

Barks did not write the FC 9 Pirate Gold story, whereas Barks wrote FC 29.

If you don't have them already, have you considered chasing after the March of Comics Barks books?  I posted these before.

barksmarchofcomics2.jpg

I should have picked those up years ago but never did! Proves that the Barks quest is never ending! Oh and there's always the kite special too and Atom Bomb; more Barks fun!!

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Catrick had one of the Firestone giveaways in his last sale. Nice copy at a decent price. It didn’t sell. Perhaps you might want to PM him and make an offer. He is always very agreeable to fair offers and a great guy to deal with. 

Thanks for the tip Bob; I might inquire but funds are a little low now!!

Congrats 50Yrs! It's definitely an astounding book (even though I never read this particular story). And your copy looks particularly taste for its grade.

Someone would care to clarify this for me? From WDCS number 4:

Screenshot-1.thumb.png.94551666174b0cffbc0e466204cab7d5.png

How is that even possible? Shouldn't always to be more stuff in the right column?

Edited by Kromak

53 minutes ago, Kromak said:

Congrats 50Yrs! It's definitely an astounding book (even though I never read this particular story). And your copy looks particularly taste for its grade.

How is that even possible? Shouldn't always to be more stuff in the right column?

Is it the regular version on the left and the subscription renewal variant on the right?

On 7/1/2020 at 5:33 PM, Kromak said:

Universal is the blue label whereas a qualified label is something else (not sure if it includes restored?) so therefore this does make sense. More surprising is the lack of any graded books above 3.5!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs