• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,426 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Some of the stories aren't great, but the covers can be exceptional...

mickeymousefc157.jpg

mickeymousefc181.jpg

mickeymousefc194.jpg

mickeymousefc231.jpg

mickeymousefc248.jpg

mickeymousefc261.jpg

mickeymousefc325.jpg

You didn't post Sky Adventure which is actually not a bad story (Gottfredson I believe.) I don't have a scan of my copy handy or I would post. Mickey and Beanstalk isn't half bad either.

46 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

You didn't post Sky Adventure which is actually not a bad story (Gottfredson I believe.) I don't have a scan of my copy handy or I would post. Mickey and Beanstalk isn't half bad either.

Please post yours when you get a chance. It is one of the ones that I am missing.

43 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Please post yours when you get a chance. It is one of the ones that I am missing.

Well some days working from home works out; I'm in a pretty boring VTC right now and conveniently located next to the comic closet so I dove in and found it right away. It's noted as a $35 purchase and I remember buying it at the LA Shrine shows in the early nineties. This is a great Gottfredson story and the interior shot illustrates the fun "danger" he put Mickey in in this strip. I looked at GCD and was surprised to see this story had originally appeared in WDCS #1; that is something I did not know.

MMSkyAdventure.thumb.jpg.63263c553ad9517b0ad88106848fe306.jpg

MMSkyInterior.thumb.jpg.b3ce7a4deb8323199ba22f44304686de.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

Reading through the topic. Currently on page 112. Fun how some four color covers nearly never show up (and when it does, it is together with many), while others shows up frequently. Also people underestimated the number of mint copies of earlier books.

20 hours ago, Kromak said:

Reading through the topic. Currently on page 112. Fun how some four color covers nearly never show up (and when it does, it is together with many), while others shows up frequently. Also people underestimated the number of mint copies of earlier books.

One reason was the emergence of file copies.  

On 7/14/2020 at 2:38 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well some days working from home works out; I'm in a pretty boring VTC right now and conveniently located next to the comic closet so I dove in and found it right away. It's noted as a $35 purchase and I remember buying it at the LA Shrine shows in the early nineties. This is a great Gottfredson story and the interior shot illustrates the fun "danger" he put Mickey in in this strip. I looked at GCD and was surprised to see this story had originally appeared in WDCS #1; that is something I did not know.

MMSkyAdventure.thumb.jpg.63263c553ad9517b0ad88106848fe306.jpg

MMSkyInterior.thumb.jpg.b3ce7a4deb8323199ba22f44304686de.jpg

That is seriously cool that the story was in WDC&S #1! Thanks for pointing that out. Love this book. :) 

On 7/16/2020 at 6:17 PM, sfcityduck said:

One reason was the emergence of file copies.  

Yes, but what I do not understand it is... why file copIES. Why not a single file copy? Ok, perhaps two, having one as a backup makes sense, but several....

15 minutes ago, Kromak said:

Yes, but what I do not understand it is... why file copIES. Why not a single file copy? Ok, perhaps two, having one as a backup makes sense, but several....

File copies is kind of a misnomer. I suspect the bound volumes that are labeled as such are the real file copies while the others were found in boxes in the back warehouse areas of Random House. Still, for the most part they are incredible copies worthy of a designation. The designation cannot be Pedigree so it had to be "from the collection of" or "File Copy." It really wasn't from a collection so that leaves "File Copy." Not ideal but it does let us track just how big a find it was.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

File copies is kind of a misnomer. I suspect the bound volumes that are labeled as such are the real file copies while the others were found in boxes in the back warehouse areas of Random House. Still, for the most part they are incredible copies worthy of a designation. The designation cannot be Pedigree so it had to be "from the collection of" or "File Copy." It really wasn't from a collection so that leaves "File Copy." Not ideal but it does let us track just how big a find it was.

I think that when it comes to Dell there were several types of "file copies."  The "Random House Archives" were sold by Heritage.  "Poughkeepsie file copies" came to market earlier, but I'm unclear if they were from the same warehouse.  And, complicating matters, the "Poughkeepsie file copies," my vague recollection is, may have come to market through different employees at different times with a late batch being sold by Metro.

And why wouldn't a publisher keep 5, 10 even 20 copies of their books? An ongoing business concern would have different uses for them. Promotional materials, gifts or giveaways, samples for new writers and artists the list goes on and on. I have worked for a major entertainment company for years and been involved in the cleanup of various buildings over the years and it is amazing what we have found stashed away; some material of historic significance that we were glad to unearth!

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

And why wouldn't a publisher keep 5, 10 even 20 copies of their books? An ongoing business concern would have different uses for them. Promotional materials, gifts or giveaways, samples for new writers and artists the list goes on and on. I have worked for a major entertainment company for years and been involved in the cleanup of various buildings over the years and it is amazing what we have found stashed away; some material of historic significance that we were glad to unearth!

True. I know Gladstone kept multiples but then again they were also selling back issues so there was a business reason. Although all it took was one manager who decided it was all junk and to toss stuff out and never look back. 

On 7/15/2020 at 9:30 PM, dikran1 said:

Why is Large Feature 16 considered Daisy’s first appearance when MMM vol 5 #11 has her on the back cover also and it came out 3-4 months earlier?

Indeed that info is not correct: LF16 is first appearance of Daisy strip on a comic album. The one on MMM is probably the first image (although it may have been extracted from a strip), unless she's in previous MMM (to be carefully checked).

12 hours ago, DavideD said:

Indeed that info is not correct: LF16 is first appearance of Daisy strip on a comic album. The one on MMM is probably the first image (although it may have been extracted from a strip), unless she's in previous MMM (to be carefully checked).

Well that back cover image on MMM looks to be the theatrical poster for Mr. Duck Steps Out which is Daisy's first animated appearance (June 1940) so this has to be her first comic appearance (August 1940) but I’m assuming since it’s an ad and not an original strip it doesn’t count? Sorta like the Action 1 preview in MFC 31... 

9 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Well that back cover image on MMM looks to be the theatrical poster for Mr. Duck Steps Out which is Daisy's first animated appearance (June 1940) so this has to be her first comic appearance (August 1940) but I’m assuming since it’s an ad and not an original strip it doesn’t count? Sorta like the Action 1 preview in MFC 31... 

I think you're right... usually the strip counts, while the solo image is not "generally" considered. However, for the sake of completeness, this appearance of Daisy should be mentioned as well. Here my copy of LF16 (one of my favourite):

IMG_20191011_163216.jpg

IMG_20191011_163408.jpg

On 7/23/2020 at 3:00 AM, DavideD said:

I think you're right... usually the strip counts, while the solo image is not "generally" considered. However, for the sake of completeness, this appearance of Daisy should be mentioned as well. Here my copy of LF16 (one of my favourite):

IMG_20191011_163216.jpg

IMG_20191011_163408.jpg

Do you know if that strip is a reprint from the dailies or original to that book?

9 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Do you know if that strip is a reprint from the dailies or original to that book?

You can tell by the copyright that its a strip reprint. The strip reprints in the comics looked like that; while original stories would sometimes but not always have a Western code on the first page of the story. It's clear in this image from WDCS 71.

WDCS71DuckInt1rot.thumb.jpg.e52910e4fdfd3c0449dcb7f4232e47be.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs