• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,428 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2020 at 3:39 PM, OtherEric said:

In today.  Not terribly major, but as far as I know "Go Slowly, Sands of Time" is the last new Uncle Scrooge story Barks worked on, and this is its first US publication.  (If I'm wrong I would love to be corrected.)  I know the original version appeared as a text piece, and this is just an adaptation of that.  Even with all the qualifiers, still fun:

I have fond memories of finding that story when it first came out. But it's not quite right that it was thae last U$ story that Barks worked on. There was a 1994 story he scripted called 'Horsing around with history', which was drawn for publication by William Van Horn. Details here: https://www.seriesam.com/barks/comicseudk.html#cceu_dk_aac199440-01

You can see a page (in Danish) here: https://inducks.org/story.php?c=D+94003

The best way to find it for an American collector is in Uncle Scrooge Adventures #33. I don't recall it being all that good, but it's a long time ago now and I'll get it out and read it tomorrow.

Am I the only one who finds it frustrating that the covers usually have nothing to do with the stories inside? Especially those early U$ and WDCS.

Is there a story behind this? Not having a vast knowledge of the GA, was this common among other titles also?

4 hours ago, AJD said:

I have fond memories of finding that story when it first came out. But it's not quite right that it was thae last U$ story that Barks worked on. There was a 1994 story he scripted called 'Horsing around with history', which was drawn for publication by William Van Horn. Details here: https://www.seriesam.com/barks/comicseudk.html#cceu_dk_aac199440-01

You can see a page (in Danish) here: https://inducks.org/story.php?c=D+94003

The best way to find it for an American collector is in Uncle Scrooge Adventures #33. I don't recall it being all that good, but it's a long time ago now and I'll get it out and read it tomorrow.

Thank you.  Ironically, I'm fairly sure I've got the issue somewhere... the cover looks incredibly familiar.  I'll go check, I think I know where the box with my ducks from that era is.  It doesn't look like it's too hard to get a copy, at least.

On 8/14/2020 at 10:20 AM, dikran1 said:

Am I the only one who finds it frustrating that the covers usually have nothing to do with the stories inside? Especially those early U$ and WDCS.

Is there a story behind this? Not having a vast knowledge of the GA, was this common among other titles also?

Sure it was all about selling comics and whatever cover did that the best was what was published. There are some exceptions like some of the Dell Four Color series and DC's All Star Comics but many Golden Age covers had little to do with the inside contents.

11 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I have none of those issues and you posting those beauties is only increasing my desire to pursue!!

Yellowkid has a beautiful set of them. Seeing them got me fired up to give it a shot.

I just got a bunch of high grade stuff on auction at low prices (2-4x cheaper than usual).

1338439219_alamanaquedisney8.thumb.jpg.d5c0a266d318b10511e8b1f9724c89fe.jpg1582352759_alamanquedisney45capa.thumb.jpg.e6caabe2822ebeb1e44f932360fb1257.jpgThese first two are from a series inspired by the "WALT DISNEY COMICS DIGEST" (the cover from the first edition has the same main illustration of WDCD) . It is a underestimate book by most local Disney collectors, with only the very first editions reaching middle prices and only the first one being expensive. Yet, I got these at lower than usual prices and in HIGH grade! Finding high grade stuff of non US stuff is seldonly easy, especially for stuff prior to the 2000s, or perhaps the 90's (being optimistic) Finding a copy that seems to be in NM as is the case of the 28 is just amazing! It was quite successful at the 70's and 80's, averaging between 300000-350000 printed copies by month in the 70's, which likely places it in 4° place among the most sold Disney books in 75,76. These copies are from 72 and 73 .

And if the above title is currently underappreciated, the same cannot be said about the following title! The sales champion of its time, is also the current's day number one title among local collectors! At its prime, it was so successful that got a simultaneous reprint, starting from number one. They keep being alternated on a monthly basis. This is the most easy Disney title to find in High grade due to the high quality material (thick, plasticized cover). Yet, never easy in HG! I just love the covers especially the ones between editions 1-60, ESPECIALLY the ones from 25-45. Luckily, editions after number 20 are not very expensive, and since I got them by prices 2-4x lower than on average, it was a bargain! I first read "Christmas for Shacktown" on the Christmas issue bellow. A few copies I already had in LG, so I couldn't be more satisfied with these findings!

Number 26 from 1976:

natal.thumb.jpg.39f33dc49dd630e9ec62de308fc1dc83.jpg

27 from the same year:

27.thumb.jpg.d7eb27e5d6b59977e1efa1d918f16275.jpg

n°35 from 78

35.thumb.jpg.cf73f8627b7549e869279a88c101939a.jpg

n°36 (This I already had in low grade)572777161_36capa.thumb.jpg.09f4018897a56d8c6d8c2485524d7d9c.jpg

N°37:

37.thumb.jpg.3a93df7442b84ce48f3c7e701fc9a51b.jpg

n°38:

38.thumb.jpg.607e6644765cda77fbe9491a2d3e6fab.jpg

n°39:

1232417514_39capa.thumb.jpg.720849db4baf7b2f829df10033be72c2.jpg

This I already had in Middle Grade. From 79732893391_41capa.thumb.jpg.2960a725e2d727b4ed6230e920e40864.jpg

From the same year:

45.thumb.jpg.a6c57e09ab57d40afed63ad663db00bf.jpg

The last one, from 1980. Stained (and with a blurred photo!) but I still like it!P24-08-20_17_01.thumb.jpg.b7d5da3e42aa650e8990ede238100541.jpg

17 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Yellowkid has a beautiful set of them. Seeing them got me fired up to give it a shot.

You've got some great copies of books that are very hard to find in high grade, I wish they were in my collection.  The Firestone giveaways actually started with Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig in Famous Gang Book of Comics, but the company switched to Disney after the first year.

Edited by Yellow Kid
"Book" ommitted from title and now inserted

Just now, Badger said:

Nice! I love local or small store finds like these. :) 

I must have talked to the owner for a good hour about collecting these books and how much fun it is to find these old Barks books lying in random boxes. I really hope the next generation will appreciate these as much as we do...

Lot of Disneyana collectors out there but not sure if that translates to comic books... My collector group laughs at me whenever I show them these beat up readers, but when they actually READ and SEE the stories, they usually want more! It also doesn’t hurt to show them GPA on the high grade keys 💰💰💰💰

5 hours ago, dikran1 said:

I must have talked to the owner for a good hour about collecting these books and how much fun it is to find these old Barks books lying in random boxes. I really hope the next generation will appreciate these as much as we do...

Lot of Disneyana collectors out there but not sure if that translates to comic books... My collector group laughs at me whenever I show them these beat up readers, but when they actually READ and SEE the stories, they usually want more! It also doesn’t hurt to show them GPA on the high grade keys 💰💰💰💰

Barks readers are fantastic! I still have most of the issues I bought as a kid that are beat to hell but I love to pull them out on holidays and read them.