• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Love some of the nice examples posted; these books must have been gorgeous in a minty pile on the stands!

I know, right? Its odd but you rarely see any of the Disney books in old pictures of newsstands. I wonder if they were distributed differently? I know when I was growing up I could only find them in Gambles and Walgreens.

13 hours ago, Badger said:

I know, right? Its odd but you rarely see any of the Disney books in old pictures of newsstands. I wonder if they were distributed differently? I know when I was growing up I could only find them in Gambles and Walgreens.

Good point. I don’t remember seeing many on all the old newsstand photos I have ever seen. Considering, how many copies that were sold and the fact that that there are so many surviving copies. 

I remember as a kid in the dawn of the SA, going to the newsstand, seeing mostly DC, Marvels, non-Disney Dell & Gold Key and the occasional Charlton. Hardly any Disney’s. Maybe, I didn’t really care and didn’t notice. I do remember Harvey’s although I never bought any. 

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Good point. I don’t remember seeing many on all the old newsstand photos I have ever seen. Considering, how many copies that were sold and the fact that that there are so many surviving copies. 

I remember as a kid in the dawn of the SA, going to the newsstand, seeing mostly DC, Marvels, non-Disney Dell & Gold Key and the occasional Charlton. Hardly any Disney’s. Maybe, I didn’t really care and didn’t notice. I do remember Harvey’s although I never bought any. 

Yeah, I remember seeing Casper and Nightmare along with Marvel and DC mags at places like Circle K and 7/11 but never Disney.hm

13 hours ago, Badger said:

Disney did a healthy subscription business, but I believe most of the copies you see for sale these days are the non-subscription copies.  My grandfather managed a Woolworth's, and they had a lot of Dells and Disney comics in the later 1940s and early 1950s based on my Dad's collection.  I suspect that the Walgreens, Woolworths, and other corner pharmacy/store outlets were probably a better distribution point for getting sales to kids than the newsstands.  

12 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Disney did a healthy subscription business, but I believe most of the copies you see for sale these days are the non-subscription copies.  My grandfather managed a Woolworth's, and they had a lot of Dells and Disney comics in the later 1940s and early 1950s based on my Dad's collection.  I suspect that the Walgreens, Woolworths, and other corner pharmacy/store outlets were probably a better distribution point for getting sales to kids than the newsstands.  

That lines up with what I remember so I have to agree!  :)  I forgot about Woolworths. In addition to Disney they also had Charlton and Dell TV comics. The old 5 and Dime also had Disneys in addition to comic bags that had 2 issues of Star Trek.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

That lines up with what I remember so I have to agree!  :)  I forgot about Woolworths. In addition to Disney they also had Charlton and Dell TV comics. The old 5 and Dime also had Disneys in addition to comic bags that had 2 issues of Star Trek.

Woolworths had a wide array of comic publishers in the time period of my Dad's collection, including DC, Fawcett, Fiction House, Z-D, etc.

20 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Woolworths had a wide array of comic publishers in the time period of my Dad's collection, including DC, Fawcett, Fiction House, Z-D, etc.

In my time period, early to late 70s, Woolworth had lots of Charlton and Disney. If memory serves they only carried 2 for x cents or 3 for x cents bags of other publishers. I remember finding one store in Las Cruces that went crazy on bags of Marvel comics. They had easily a thousand of these bags but there were only two or 3 combinations of books. In particular I remember that Power Man Iron Fist #66 was in the bags. I picked up 10 because it was a hot book at that time. This would have been 1980/81.

Edited by Badger
two to

33 minutes ago, Badger said:

In my time period, early to late 70s, Woolworth had lots of Charlton and Disney. If memory serves they only carried 2 for x cents or 3 for x cents bags of other publishers. I remember finding one store in Las Cruces that went crazy on bags of Marvel comics. They had easily a thousand of these bags but there were only two or 3 combinations of books. In particular I remember that Power Man Iron Fist #66 was in the bags. I picked up 10 because it was a hot book at that time. This would have been 1980/81.

My Dad's comics date to late 1940s early 1950s.  I started buying comics in the mid-70s.  Initially from spinner racks at Safeway, 7-11, etc.  By 1979-1980, I'd been introduced to my local comic book store.  

1 minute ago, dikran1 said:

Am I the youngest guy in the room? 😊 I never read any of these as a kid, my only connection to the ducks was DuckTales (woo hoo) in the 80s!

My collection has been making up for lost time though! 😉

I watched Ducktales in College. Does that count? :) 

1 hour ago, DavideD said:

As far as I know it is... great you posted probably my all-time favourite cover... I'll post my copy asap!

That book so rarely shows up for sale☹️

So for newer collectors (like myself), I’m putting together the key list of Duck books with photos of the books (cuz some of them have no numbers or have covers that have nothing to do with content so you might just thumb right by a key...) 

First Donald

First Mickey (yeah yeah...)

First Nephews

First Scrooge

First Daisy

First covers

First Beagle Boys

First Flintheart Glomgold

First Gladstone Gander

First Magica De Spell
First Gyro Gearloose

First Junior Woodchucks

First in title (Barks work, appearances, Four Color, WDCS...)

Major or classic storylines  

Should be a fun little challenge and I’m sure will help out the novices. Let me know if I’m missing any categories! 😊