• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Badger said:

You know, its interesting. I did not notice the "cover detached" notation until I looked up the certification number. I did not notice it even when you pointed it out to me. The book just captured my attention so thoroughly that I skipped the notation. Doesn't matter ultimately because I would have still bought the book at the price I paid so I'm happy. Still, this is one reason why I am happy CGC still uses the purple label of death. Tough to overlook that purple color.

When someone asks me “what the hell is eye appeal?“ I will show them a scan of your book 😂

Funny thing about WDC&S #32. I bought this copy slabbed as a qualified F+ at a very reasonable price. The annotation was "coupon clipped on interior page". Not ideal, but the eye appeal/$ quotient was worth it. As it happens the qualification should have read "panel clipped from story on interior page". :censored:

large.5972a3885a9c9_wdcs_032.jpg.5d2d1c977aaca24ce922ecbdc949de42.jpg

10 hours ago, AJD said:

Funny thing about WDC&S #32. I bought this copy slabbed as a qualified F+ at a very reasonable price. The annotation was "coupon clipped on interior page". Not ideal, but the eye appeal/$ quotient was worth it. As it happens the qualification should have read "panel clipped from story on interior page". :censored:

I hear you.  A coupon clipped would not have bugged me with that book at the right price. A panel clipped though? :cry:

11 hours ago, AJD said:

I can easily live with things like that if priced real fair. It would matter what panel was cut out though. Out of the Bucky Bug story not the end of the world but out of the Barks story, no thanks. I buy a lot of books for certain stories or the cover. Not crushed if it is out a story I would just thumb through anyway. 

Pretty copy of one I’ve rarely seen. WDCS is one title that has a pretty good survival rate due to the amount printed and saved. But there are a few issues that just seem a little harder to find than others. 

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I can easily live with things like that if priced real fair. It would matter what panel was cut out though. Out of the Bucky Bug story not the end of the world but out of the Barks story, no thanks. I buy a lot of books for certain stories or the cover. Not crushed if it is out a story I would just thumb through anyway. 

Pretty copy of one I’ve rarely seen. WDCS is one title that has a pretty good survival rate due to the amount printed and saved. But there are a few issues that just seem a little harder to find than others. 

Yes, it is a really nice copy - it's nicer in hand than the scan suggests too. I hadn't looked inside for years so I dug it out to remind myself what was missing. I knew it wasn't Barks. Turns out it is a MM one pager and a couple of Taliaferro strips. It's a very odd cutout too.

106157186_WDCS32001.thumb.JPG.eb9490134a5c29eee8266e0c350721ae.JPG

1307570158_WDCS32002.JPG.265102c292322be3d3b0d06240a09c1f.JPG

17 hours ago, AJD said:

Yes, it is a really nice copy - it's nicer in hand than the scan suggests too. I hadn't looked inside for years so I dug it out to remind myself what was missing. I knew it wasn't Barks. Turns out it is a MM one pager and a couple of Taliaferro strips. It's a very odd cutout too.

106157186_WDCS32001.thumb.JPG.eb9490134a5c29eee8266e0c350721ae.JPG

1307570158_WDCS32002.JPG.265102c292322be3d3b0d06240a09c1f.JPG

That's quite a well done cut; likely done by an adult or older teen. Hard to understand why as it is strangely done.

12 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's quite a well done cut; likely done by an adult or older teen. Hard to understand why as it is strangely done.

I'm guessing they wanted the first panel of the second Donald Duck strip for some reason, and wanted it cut very cleanly.  So they cut it out with a little extra space on the edge, and then further trimmed it once it was out.  My guess would be a scrapbook or some sort of art project.  It's also possible the were more interested in whatever device Donald has (a primitive karaoke machine (shrug)) than Donald himself.

That's as far out on a limb as I can go, and probably quite a bit further than is really safe.

15 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Just found this at my LCS, it’s chock full of history about Disney comics. Great reference material! 

41223E9E-2AD5-474E-9056-8A79D8F16532.jpeg

18BF6AA4-4172-4C57-BC02-7F2D3AB695C6.jpeg

Neat, I don't think I ever got a copy of that volume. I'll keep an eye open for that as it would be interesting to read. Of course our own @Yellow Kid can probably answer most questions about old Disney comics. The book Disneyana which came out in the mid-seventies has some great B&W publicity photos of Disney comics. If you see that book you might enjoy reading it.

On 9/5/2020 at 3:41 PM, dikran1 said:

To add to the list of keys, first Pluto (it’s his 90th birthday) comic and first Carl Barks comic work. Large Feature 7 from 1942

0531F95C-A4BD-4B4E-A4C4-C0122DE52643.jpeg

First, Pluto!  Fantastic!  And definitely Bark's first Disney comic work, but I've seen the claim that Barks' first comic work is in Coo Coo Magazine:

s-l1600.jpg

7 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Neat, I don't think I ever got a copy of that volume. I'll keep an eye open for that as it would be interesting to read. Of course our own @Yellow Kid can probably answer most questions about old Disney comics. The book Disneyana which came out in the mid-seventies has some great B&W publicity photos of Disney comics. If you see that book you might enjoy reading it.

Thanks for your kind words, Frank.  Over the years I have let most of my comics go, but I still have my comlete sets of early Disney comics, Barks comics, and related memorabilia.   What I think is the most exciting  thing is that so many other collectors have assembled complete, or nearly complete, sets and that is a real tribute to the genius of Carl Barks.. 

42 minutes ago, Yellow Kid said:

Thanks for your kind words, Frank.  Over the years I have let most of my comics go, but I still have my comlete sets of early Disney comics, Barks comics, and related memorabilia.   What I think is the most exciting  thing is that so many other collectors have assembled complete, or nearly complete, sets and that is a real tribute to the genius of Carl Barks.. 

It really is. I've seen a few new collectors just this year and many of the duck books are starting to go back up in value instead of constantly downward like they were for the past 10 or so. I hope this continues as Barks deserves the continued recognition.