• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Badger said:

It really is. I've seen a few new collectors just this year and many of the duck books are starting to go back up in value instead of constantly downward like they were for the past 10 or so. I hope this continues as Barks deserves the continued recognition.

I’ve never had more fun collecting comics than this past year after having discovered Barks!
Sorry for driving up prices 😂

Found a bunch of Dell Giants over the weekend. For a Disney fanatic/historian, these are the 4 I can’t wait to go thru! Though I doubt they will be historically accurate depictions of the park 😂
Got a whole stack of Xmas parades, beach parties, vacations, etc. This should be a fun week 😊

F1856EE5-25AB-4ACC-8E15-7F1D5FDDA1C8.jpeg

3 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Found a bunch of Dell Giants over the weekend. For a Disney fanatic/historian, these are the 4 I can’t wait to go thru! Though I doubt they will be historically accurate depictions of the park 😂
Got a whole stack of Xmas parades, beach parties, vacations, etc. This should be a fun week 😊

F1856EE5-25AB-4ACC-8E15-7F1D5FDDA1C8.jpeg

I loved finding all those Dell Giants as a kid and still have all of these except the Mickey Mouse book. They are really marketing pieces and have very little to do with the original park but you'll occasionally find some interesting splash panels of the rides or park features. Honestly the early pre-Disneyland Giants are much better in terms of story and content; particularly those with Barks' work.

9 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I loved finding all those Dell Giants as a kid and still have all of these except the Mickey Mouse book. They are really marketing pieces and have very little to do with the original park but you'll occasionally find some interesting splash panels of the rides or park features. Honestly the early pre-Disneyland Giants are much better in terms of story and content; particularly those with Barks' work.

Gotta admit there are some cool old maps of Disneyland with the original rides and the painted covers are very nice but the stories inside are lacking.

Donald in Disneyland is probably the best of these four. Gonna hit the Xmas parades next. I’m sure there’s Barks goodness in those 

1 hour ago, dikran1 said:

Gotta admit there are some cool old maps of Disneyland with the original rides and the painted covers are very nice but the stories inside are lacking.

Donald in Disneyland is probably the best of these four. Gonna hit the Xmas parades next. I’m sure there’s Barks goodness in those 

The first two issues of Christmas Parade both have fantastic Barks' stories. That and the first Vacation Parade are really some amazing work. Other giants that contain some interesting work include Silly Symphony and the odd movie adaptation like Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp and my favorite the elusive Giant Giant Peter Pan Treasure Chest. Some of the later Giants had some interesting concepts like Daisy and Uncle Scrooge Showboat and Uncle Donald and his nephews Dude Ranch. Also the later Disneyland USA has a great painted cover.

9 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

A few new pickups that I've probably posted elsewhere already, but who can remember stuff like that...hm

50381763037_879a41368f_c.jpg

Great books. Is there a story that explains the elephant? One, why is he going around caroling and, two, why is he so mad at Donald?

25 minutes ago, Badger said:

Nice! Love the frame and matte!

The scan doesn't pick it up well but it's signed by Barks, numbered and dated 1981. This is the first Barks signature I've ever owned. 

On 8/14/2020 at 6:19 AM, AJD said:

I have fond memories of finding that story when it first came out. But it's not quite right that it was thae last U$ story that Barks worked on. There was a 1994 story he scripted called 'Horsing around with history', which was drawn for publication by William Van Horn. Details here: https://www.seriesam.com/barks/comicseudk.html#cceu_dk_aac199440-01

You can see a page (in Danish) here: https://inducks.org/story.php?c=D+94003

The best way to find it for an American collector is in Uncle Scrooge Adventures #33. I don't recall it being all that good, but it's a long time ago now and I'll get it out and read it tomorrow.

Never did find my copy, if I did have one.  But got a copy in today, in any case:

Uncle Scrooge Adventures 33.jpg