• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2020 at 4:31 AM, dikran1 said:

I’ve never had more fun collecting comics than this past year after having discovered Barks!
Sorry for driving up prices 😂

It's surprising how just 1 or 2 collectors can affect the prices of books.  There was a recent auction of some prewar books, where the last 40% or so of a books bids were between 2 bidders.   If one of the 2 just sat it out, I'd have some nice king comics for half of what they ended up going for :devil:

13 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Just finding some of the Giants complete is about all I hope for on some of them.  That one presents pretty nicely despite the obvious creases and spine issues.  Nice pickup!

My LCS has 4 long boxes of Dell giants, most of which are in 2.0.  It was tough to find 5 issues in decent shape that I knew I didn't have (or needed to upgrade), and he sold them to me for around $5 each, although I had to pay $10 for that upgrade issue.  Despite how some collectors are driving a few prices up, I think there are still too many Dells for the market, and prices will always be low for the patient collector.  And, I wouldn't call myself a Dell collector, but I love some of those early Disney giant covers...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

14 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

More new Dell Giants today...

50630350113_e07306587d_c.jpg

50631092906_1e6eb0c8d8_c.jpg

These two were a couple of my favorite rummage sale finds as a kid; still have them both. I was also enamored with the Daisy Duck and Uncle Scrooge Showboat giant. Who came up with that idea! 

5 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

These two were a couple of my favorite rummage sale finds as a kid; still have them both. I was also enamored with the Daisy Duck and Uncle Scrooge Showboat giant. Who came up with that idea! 

I don't know, but I guess I need to look for that one now...hm

9 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I don't know, but I guess I need to look for that one now...hm

If it were handy I'd pull and scan it for you but it's buried right now. I looked it up on GCD and it is the last of this particular Dell Giant series. Tony Stobl did the art on the lead story which I recall being a cut above most other non-Barks Scrooge tales.

2 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

If it were handy I'd pull and scan it for you but it's buried right now. I looked it up on GCD and it is the last of this particular Dell Giant series. Tony Stobl did the art on the lead story which I recall being a cut above most other non-Barks Scrooge tales.

I looked it up on ebay and the prices are all over the place...I think a lot of dealers are going to be sitting on that book for a long time...:roflmao:

However, I was very surprised at prices for the Mickey Mouse Club Parade.  I guess I got very lucky finding that one...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

Here's my stack of original ducks bought back in the early seventies for a few bucks each from the pages of the Buyer's Guide. These have all been upgraded but it is fun to keep the stack around and read them on occasion. What would be your pick to read? I think I'll either read Voodoo Hoodoo or Ancient Persia this weekend.

1950042029_OldDucks.thumb.jpg.fd1a573d6878783d95203a788308d95c.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

1 minute ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Here's my stack of original ducks bought back in the early seventies for a few bucks each from the pages of the Buyer's Guide. These have all been upgraded but it is fun to keep the stack around and read them on occasion. What would be your pick to read? I think I'll either read Voodoo Hoodoo or Ancient Persia this weekend.

1950042029_OldDucks.thumb.jpg.fd1a573d6878783d95203a788308d95c.jpg

Sheriff of Bullet valley and Bear Mountain! :whee:

On 11/22/2020 at 2:53 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

OK, I took your advice and got one at my LCS today. $4...  :whee:

50643463701_1e9ae5b6cc_c.jpg

42 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow Daisy doesn’t make the count down under!

Australian Disneys often had covers redrawn to include Uncle Scrooge when he wasn't in the original US drawing, or to make him more prominent because he was a hugely popular character here. In this case they dropped Daisy from the title, replaced her with the more popular Donald in the image and made it an 'Uncle Scrooge' book.