• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

Speaking of Ducks did anyone else follow Malcolm Willits' bound volume of Christmas and Vacation Parade #1-2 in Sunday's Heritage Auction? It had a nice front page signature by Barks. I was interested but it got too pricey and then I was shocked to see the final hammer at $3600!

Take a Look!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

7 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Speaking of Ducks did anyone else follow Malcolm Willits' bound volume of Christmas and Vacation Parade #1-2 in Sunday's Heritage Auction? It had a nice front page signature by Barks. I was interested but it got too pricey and then I was shocked to see the final hammer at $3600!

Take a Look!

4320 with bp, whoa.  

The note from barks was touching.  

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 7:47 PM, AJD said:

So here's a bit of fun. This is WDC&S #193. The artist (GCD says Paul Murry) has included a fake newspaper headline about a sugar crop failure and 'candy crisis'.

690204425_WDCS193.thumb.jpg.a38dbb87b2c50035278aae5db9084d29.jpg

The Australian editions of Disney books often replaced "Americanisms" with local dialogue, visible as obvious paste-ins. The reprint of this issue has favor --> favour in several places, for example. But in this case I suspect there was a discussion that went like this:

D: Hey, Bruce, do you know of any local papers called the Morning Star?

B: Nah, Doug, never heard of it. Must be a Yank paper.

D: Hmm, that's what I thought - better replace it with something. Have you got today's Tele handy?          (Daily Telegraph)

B: Yeah, but I haven't read it.

D: That's OK, just give me a chunk of a bit you won't read. The classified ads will do.

B: No worries, here ya go... *rip*.

D: Hey, what's a lubritoriam?

No205.jpg.1a08d9b8ed5fd167bd150a5bd2ea8f7b.jpg

831810257_No205inset.jpg.8e8b718aaec06fb5d68e8583d7cc30c4.jpg

Lub job is an oil change, the guy who does the work or the garage where it is done.

On 12/8/2020 at 1:05 PM, comicginger1789 said:

15 years ago this thread was one letter away from becoming an area with a bunch of very inappropriate images...

Thankfully, 15 years later, we can all gaze upon each other's ducks and do so with joy. No harm, no fowl. 

What letter was that?  :taptaptap::whatthe:

On 12/7/2020 at 11:32 AM, waaaghboss said:

4320 with bp, whoa.  

The note from barks was touching.  

I think that volume went cheap!  Back in 1960, Willits was the first person to learn Barks' name and address.  That volume is an incredibly significant bit of comic history documenting, in Barks' own hand, the moment when the "good duck artist" was discovered by the nascent comic fandom then coalescing, and, most importantly, how much it meant to him!  That volume, my friends, is a foundational historical document regarding the birth of comic fandom and the ground zero for the then anonymous Carl Barks' becoming one of Disney's biggest legends.  

Too cheap?  No ... a steal.  Wish it were mine.

On 12/18/2018 at 8:47 PM, sfcityduck said:

Another WDC&S subscription variant from the same OO collection.  Also a keeper for me in 9.0 white ( 1 of 4; two 9.4 and two 9.2 higher) with a nice Barks cover:

image.thumb.png.e6cf53767368b9574defa23be93bc66c.png

As I mentioned above, CGC noted in the grading comments that there was a "stamp" with the subscribers name and address on the back cover.  I really hope that does not mean they downgraded it because it was a subscription variant.  That'd be adding injury to the insult of not noting subscription variants as such.

Why would this be a variant rather than just a copy with a subscription mailing sticker on it? 

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Why would this be a variant rather than just a copy with a subscription mailing sticker on it? 

Two reasons:

(1) WDC&S of this period do not have subscription mailing stickers, they have a printed (dot matrix?) address in a special rectangular white space left on the back cover (and later the front for a short while) for that purpose.

(2) WDC&S of this period often not only have the white space for the address on the back cover which is not present in regular copies, but also different back cover art.

They are true variant printings.  Here's what Heritage has to say about a subscription variant of issue 137:

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #137 (Dell, 1952) CGC NM 9.4 White pages. A subscription copy in Near Mint is a remarkable find indeed! This has an address printed on the back and a different ad from the one that appeared on newsstand editions. Yet it has no subscription crease! Tied with one other copy (which only has off-white pages) for CGC's highest-grade for the issue, this is just the fourth certified copy that we have ever encountered, and is quite possibly the nicest copy of #137 in existence. Carl Barks provided the cover art, and a Donald Duck story and art for this impressive duck-filled issue. Huey, Dewey, and Louie appear. Overstreet 2018 NM- 9.2 value = $215. CGC census 11/18: 2 in 9.4, none higher.

That copy of 137, by the way, sold for 14x the guide value for a 9.2.

Here's a back cover showing the printed address on a subscription variant of WDC&S 97:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

I think that volume went cheap!  Back in 1960, Willits was the first person to learn Barks' name and address.  That volume is an incredibly significant bit of comic history documenting, in Barks' own hand, the moment when the "good duck artist" was discovered by the nascent comic fandom then coalescing, and, most importantly, how much it meant to him!  That volume, my friends, is a foundational historical document regarding the birth of comic fandom and the ground zero for the then anonymous Carl Barks' becoming one of Disney's biggest legends.  

Same here!

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Yes, but would you have paid that price?

3 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yes, but would you have paid that price?

I would have if I had been detailed enough to read the description.  Instead, I saw "bound volume," thought that is sort of neat, and missed the notation about the Barks inscription.  If only I had known ...!

That volume deserved some hype!

Edited by sfcityduck