• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, AJD said:

large.1550980580_WDCS014.jpg.e878e49f75eed4bd94d6bcfbcb9682ca.jpgFar from the highest grade duck book I own, but this one got me to 96/100 of the first century. I'm down to 1, 2, 3 and 5. Easy peasy. lol

Congratulations. I haven't seen that one too often. Boy the remaining books will be tough; good luck on the search!!

On 12/11/2020 at 2:48 PM, sfcityduck said:

The Willits letter to Barks is dated May 25, 1960.  Barks' responded on June 2, 1960, by inviting Willits to come visit.  Willits did visit.  The notation on the Bound volume presented by Barks to Willits makes clear that Willits visited Barks later in June 1960 (which makes perfect sense since Barks sent the invitation on June 2, 1960, and I would not expect Willits to have sat on the invite).  So I don't see the mystery.  

Memories can be inaccurate, which is why I tend to trust the dates on documents more.

Interesting bit of history.  Very cool.  In 1974, my friend Pat Ford and I knocked UN-announced on Bark's door in Goleta, CA.  I don't know how we learned his address, but he invited us into the living room and graciously signed some of our Disney comics.  He also spoke with us for at least a half hour.  He was a really nice guy.  He probably didn't mind the intrusion since he was retired at that time and just doing special request oil paintings.  I wish I had spent the money on a painting back then...In fact, I wish I'd bought a house in Goleta back then, but I digress...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

3 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Interesting bit of history.  Very cool.  In 1974, my friend Pat Ford and I knocked UN-announced on Bark's door in Goleta, CA.  I don't know how we learned his address, but he invited us into the living room and graciously signed some of our Disney comics.  He also spoke with us for at least a half hour.  He was a really nice guy.  He probably didn't mind the intrusion since he was retired at that time and just doing special request oil paintings.  I wish I had spent the money on a painting back then...In fact, I wish I'd bought a house in Goleta back then, but I digress...

What a cool story.  You’re lucky he didn’t age into Clint Eastwood and greet you at the door with a shotgun.

3 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Pretty fun; Goleta is a small place. Was he living in the hills or just in a smaller development in the town.

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Pretty fun; Goleta is a small place. Was he living in the hills or just in a smaller development in the town.

He lived in a nice housing tract in the flat area below the hills.  I think it was a corner house.

22 hours ago, AJD said:

large.1550980580_WDCS014.jpg.e878e49f75eed4bd94d6bcfbcb9682ca.jpgFar from the highest grade duck book I own, but this one got me to 96/100 of the first century. I'm down to 1, 2, 3 and 5. Easy peasy. lol

Congratulations on another step down the yellow brick road.  You're almost there, Andrew, it's just a matter of time.  I completed my set by getting  a copy of #2 from a young convention dealer, Steve  Geppi, at a Chicago Con in the early 1970's.  I look forward to seeing that you completed the run.

27 minutes ago, Yellow Kid said:

Congratulations on another step down the yellow brick road.  You're almost there, Andrew, it's just a matter of time.  I completed my set by getting  a copy of #2 from a young convention dealer, Steve  Geppi, at a Chicago Con in the early 1970's.  I look forward to seeing that you completed the run.

Don't hold your breath Rich. lol 

10 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

The first time I met Steve Geppi was when Seuling moved his summer convention from New York to Philadelphia. Geppi bought an original owner collection that day and was displaying books like Detective 27 and Batman 1 he had just purchased. He was really nice to me and while there was no way I could afford those books he was really generous with his time and talking about them. Great memory.

I just bumped this in the "Anybody know where this art is?" thread. Maybe someone here can help? 

"  On 3/5/2020 at 10:07 AM, Pickie said:

I'm seeking additional pages by Daan Jippes from the story "Donald Duck's Atom Bomb" (Barks 1946/recreation by Jippes 1975). There are 8 pages altogether, I have page 7 (panel from that page).

IMG-20191127-WA0000.jpg.2f5c61a08c9eb27f17c5392db582fd2e.jpg

There's page 3 on CAF.com. I look especially for page 1. hm 

Expand  "

9 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I always like when you find clues on books as to their owner or origin. I noticed this early WDCS on my EBay alert this morning and it had a unique stamp. With a cross street like Snelling and MInnehaha I figured it had to be Minnesota and a quick Google search located the corner in St. Paul with a pharmacy still in business! This book can probably tell some tales!!

image.thumb.png.16f4bc5174f0474bf4c5699b66564261.png

image.png.1b5de3dd05621a38db26d9e99d84bdc9.png

image.thumb.png.a9841eda5e9de847729dc9650ec24e1a.png

What a cool stamp. The address even sounds Disneyesque. :luhv: