• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

I have tons of readers but I'm also a collector who enjoys nice things 😉

32 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well the great thing about Barks is there is so much out there you can read all of it for next to nothing if you don't mind mid-grade books.

59 minutes ago, tth2 said:

That would bring us back to 2005-06 when 9.2 copies were consistently going for $12k or so.

Those were very good days.  For sellers.

This year might be a good year for sellers, again.

Edited by adamstrange

14 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Those were very good days.  For sellers.

This year might be a good year for sellers, again.

I'd have to say it sure looks like making hay as a seller! Reminds me of that Barks story where Scrooge makes a killing selling food on the farm when everyone else stops working!!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

The sales results for DD #27 and #28 were driven by covers but not stories from Barks.  It makes me wonder what DD #45 and #54, each of which has a great full length story, would sell for in this market.  I;m sure it won't be long before we find out.

25 minutes ago, Yellow Kid said:

The sales results for DD #27 and #28 were driven by covers but not stories from Barks.  It makes me wonder what DD #45 and #54, each of which has a great full length story, would sell for in this market.  I;m sure it won't be long before we find out.

I'd like to see the bidding frenzy if a really nice U.S. 6 showed up (highest on census are two 8.0s, followed by a 7.0).

Edited by sfcityduck

18 minutes ago, Yellow Kid said:

I was looking at my early post four color duck books this weekend. Most of the fifties issues are pretty beat up but in general the covers were not that great so I wonder if prices would suffer from that in this CGC era. Also, when I got up into the seventies era Gold Key books that I had picked up off the newstands I was surprised to notice some books losing color from their storage over the years. I hadn't noticed that before but surely a sign of the inexpensive low quality printing of the time. Some of those books are really well preserved with brilliant colors but then are marred with this strange color loss; any one else notice that from this era?

The forties and fifties Dells are great books and hold up really well though high grade copies are hard to find as we know.

2 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Whereas the #26 was driven by both and got $5200 in 9.2 in 2014. IN 2019 and 2020, the #26 in 9.0 sold twice for more than $1600. Makes you wonder what it would get now.hm I thought $5200, at the time, was ridiculous but now, if I had the money, I would buy it.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Whereas the #26 was driven by both and got $5200 in 9.2 in 2014. IN 2019 and 2020, the #26 in 9.0 sold twice for more than $1600. Makes you wonder what it would get now.hm I thought $5200, at the time, was ridiculous but now, if I had the money, I would buy it.

26 really hits on so many cylinders. Great Barks cover and story not to mention the first issue in the new sequential DD series from Dell. And the Halloween theme doesn't hurt either. I have to post my copy now because it is such a classic book!

441990111_DD26001.thumb.jpg.2c4fd34d31b0aa468e4740245b90b097.jpg

12 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

26 really hits on so many cylinders. Great Barks cover and story not to mention the first issue in the new sequential DD series from Dell. And the Halloween theme doesn't hurt either. I have to post my copy now because it is such a classic book!

441990111_DD26001.thumb.jpg.2c4fd34d31b0aa468e4740245b90b097.jpg

It really is great. My wife loves this book and insists I buy every copy we find in the wild, if it is not beat up. That limits the purchases quite a bit! :roflmao:Still, I have 4 copies.  Now that the prices are going up a LOT she may not insist so much.

DD_26_Crippen_CGC_front.thumb.jpg.f2a9009e519fd46b44d8e2c95fb2fcae.jpg

DD_26_CGC_Front.thumb.jpg.03dbff96991b4230870f868f1fe27a22.jpg

745640-DonaldDuck26.jpg.24ccbd366eab016e7df39d5e2cae6a55.jpg

1273990-Donald26.jpg.21b0483c9c6531b9001400b5006a1883.jpg

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Doesn’t hurt that it’s also an animated short so it attracts Disneyana collectors as well! Love my 26 :cloud9:

8 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Such a great story in DD 54 

16740509787_761927cfb9_b.jpg

40 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

Perhaps I should get these graded?

8816827807_08b843f736_b.jpg

I wouldn't unless you think they have a good chance of being 8.0 (vf) or higher. These books are expensive and rare at 9.0 or higher but not worth the cost of grading at anything less, IMHO. The old rule of thumb about gd being half of vg being half of fine being half of vf being half of nm is dead. now it is vf, at best, is 10% of nm with fine being 25% to 33% of vf. Gd and vg are cheap cheap cheap. The exact percentage will vary according to book so these are just examples of possible value breakdowns.

Edited by Badger