• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

Impossible to beat tth2's opening act, but I've been pretty happy with this 9.0 copy of Scrooge's first appearance. I've been offered an upgrade so PM me if anyone is interested. Just for reference, I believe it cost something like $2,000 at Heritage a few years back (you can look it up at their site) but - as should be obvious - I am not into this for the profit.

fc178_90_1000.jpg

fc178_90b_1000.jpg

Since it's been more than 18 months since last time, and since I've made a number of upgrades since then, I'll take the liberty to repeat my plea for Mickey Mouse Magazines. The scans below show part of my upgrades in the past 3 years. I've bought pretty much everything I could find and assembled a set of the best available copy of each issue. A large chunk of these are from various sets of file copies. I am particularly interested in VF or better copies from the 5th and last year which, curiously, has been the most elusive (I have a near complete VF run of the first 4 years). I'll pay well for any copy that will allow me to upgrade.

mmv11h_s.jpgmmv11_s.JPGmmv12_s.jpgmmv13_s.jpg

CE_M1-4_s.jpgmmv14_s.jpgmmv15_s.jpgmmv16_s.jpg

mas16_s.jpgmmv17_s.jpgmas17_s.jpgmmv18_s.jpg

CE_M1-8_s.jpgCE_M1-9_s.jpgmmv19_s.jpgmmv110_s.jpg

CE_M1-10_s.jpgmmv110_201.jpgmas110_s.jpgmmv111_s.jpg

mas111_s.jpgCE_M1-12_s.jpgmmv112_s.jpgmmv112b_s.jpg

mas112_s.jpgCE_M2-1_s.jpgmmv21_s.jpgCE_M2-2_s.jpg

mmv22_s.jpgmas22_s.jpgmmv23_s.jpgmas23_s.jpg

CE_M2-4_s.jpgmmv24b_s.jpgmmv24a_s.jpgmas24_s.jpg

CE_M2-5_s.jpgmmv25_s.jpgmas25_s.jpgCE_M2-6_s.jpg

mmv26_s.jpgmas26_s.jpgmmv27_a_s.jpgmmv27_s.jpg

mas27_s.jpgCE_M2-8_s.jpgmmv28_s.jpgmas28_s.jpg

mmv29_a_s.jpgmmv29_s.jpgmas29_s.jpgmmv210_s.jpg

CE_M2-10_s.jpgCE_M2-11_s.jpgmmv211_s.jpgmmv211_ext.jpg

mas211_s.jpgmmv212_s.jpgCE_M2-12_s.jpgmas212_s.jpg

mmv213_s.jpgCE_M2-13_s.jpgmas213_s.jpgCE_M3-2_s.jpg

mmv32_s.jpgmas32_s.jpgmmv33_705_s.jpgmmv33_s.jpg

mas33_s.jpgCE_M3-4_s.jpgmmv34b_s.jpgmmv34a_s.jpg

mmv34ebaya_s.jpgmas34_s.jpgCE_M3-5_s.jpgmmv35_s.jpg

mmv35_55_s.jpgmmv36_s.jpgmas36_s.jpgCE_M3-7_s.jpg

mmv37_s.jpgmas37_s.jpgmmv38_s.jpgmas38_s.jpg

CE_M3-9_s.jpgmmv39_s.jpgmmv310_s.jpgmas310_s.jpg

mmv310b_s.jpgCE_M3-11_s.jpgmas311_s.jpgCE_M3-12_s.jpg

mmv312_s.jpgmmv312_55_s.jpgmas312_s.jpgmmv41b_s.jpg

mmv41a_s.jpgmas41_s.jpgmmv42_s.jpgmmv42c_s.jpg

mmv42_ext.jpgmas42_s.jpgmas42_s.jpgCE_M4-3_s.jpg

mmv43_s.jpgmas43_s.jpgmmv44_s.jpgmas44_s.jpg

mmv45_s.jpgmmv45b_s.jpgmas45_s.jpgCE_M4-5_s.jpg

mmv46_s.jpgCE_M4-6_s.jpgmas46_s.jpgmas47_s.jpg

CE_M4-7_s.jpgmmv47_s.jpgmmv47a_s.jpgmmv48_s.jpg

mas48_s.jpgmmv49b_s.jpgmmv49_55_s.jpgmmv49a_s.jpg

mas49_s.jpgCE_M4-10_s.jpgmmv410_s.jpgmas410_s.jpg

mmv411_s.jpgmmv411_55_s.jpgmas411_s.jpgCE_M4-12_s.jpg

mmv412_s.jpgmas412_s.jpgmmv51_s.jpgmas51_s.jpg

mmv52_55_s.jpgmmv52_s.jpgmas52_s.jpgmmv53b_s.jpg

mmv53a_s.jpgmas53_s.jpgmmv54b_s.jpgmmv54a_s.jpg

mas54_s.jpgmmv55_s.jpgmmv55_55_s.jpgmas55_s.jpg

mmv56_s.jpgmmv57_s.jpgmmv58_s.jpgmmv59_s.jpg

mv512_sd_s.jpgmmv512_s.jpg]wdcs1_s.jpg]]wdcs2_s.jpg

Thanks, RHG. The prize of the set will probably always be the book you sold me. I can't imagine there's a nicer MM Mag in existence. Unfortunately, I no longer have all the lower grade copies. Not because I had or wanted to sell them, but I just found it unethical to keep piles of high grade books that other collectors were looking for. I still have many duplicate file copies, though - these are just too nice and undervalued to sell.

---

Unrelated, talking a bit about contents instead of labels, the FC 178 and MOC 41 that I posted above both happen to be among the earliest appearances of Scrooge McDuck. I can't remember the exact order(?), but these two issues, WDC&S 98 (see tth2's first post), FC 189, ... all show an early, simple, mean, old and frail looking Scrooge. This crude, unrefined character is to me one of the most fun and charming traits about this period in duck evolution. When duck fans treasure FC 386 ("Only a Poor Old Man") so much, it is because this was the key issue that transformed him into the more mellow, well know character he has remained ever since. It is actually an unusual key in that it is neither a first issue nor a first appearance. Still, as far as I know, tth2's copy brought the highest price ever paid for a post-1950 duck book to date (actually, I only know of two post-WW2 books that have sold for more). To fully appreciate the importance and genius of the story, I'd warmly recommend reading through the Scrooge stories that led up to it, starting with FC 178.

When duck fans treasure FC 386 ("Only a Poor Old Man") so much, it is because this was the key issue that transformed him into the more mellow, well know character he has remained ever since. It is actually an unusual key in that it is neither a first issue nor a first appearance. Still, as far as I know, tth2's copy brought the highest price ever paid for a post-1950 duck book to date (actually, I only know of two post-WW2 books that have sold for more).

foreheadslap.gif These are not the types of records I like to set! blush.gif Anyways, I imagine one of the post-WW2 books you`re referring to is my FC 178. What is the other issue?

To fully appreciate the importance and genius of the story, I'd warmly recommend reading through the Scrooge stories that led up to it, starting with FC 178.

If you could list all of the Scrooge appearances from FC 178 to 386, I`m sure these boards would be highly indebted to you.

> Anyways, I imagine one of the post-WW2 books you`re referring to is my FC 178. What is the other issue?

Oops, I forgot about that one. The two other books are both gorgeous CGC graded Four Colors. I'd love to talk about them but unfortunately they sold in private transactions between people who prefer to remain anonymous. I am working with them on something that would allow these and many other gems to viewed by everyone. For now, though, it is best if I don't say anything. Hope you'll understand.

> If you could list all of the Scrooge appearances from FC 178 to 386, I`m sure these boards would be highly indebted to you.

Pre-FC 386 Barks stories featuring Scrooge off the top of my head:

FC 178 "Chistmas on Bear Mountain"

fc178.jpg

FC 189 "Old Castle's Secret"

fc189.jpg

WDC&S 98 10 pager

March of Comics 41 "Race to the South Seas"

moc41.jpg

FC 238 "Woodoo Hoodoo"

fc238.jpg

FC 263 "Trail of the Unicorn" (2nd story)

FC 282 "Pixilated Parrot"

FC 291 "Magic Hourglass"

fc291.jpg

FC 367 "Christmas for Shacktown"

fc367.jpg

I wonder if any artist other than Barks used Scrooge in a story between 1947-52(?)

----

Edit: Scrooge: thanks for the scans below!

Edited by hkp

FC 379 - "Southern Hospitality"

Pre dates 386 by a few months and has a prominent Scrooge cover and story no less plust it is not drawn by Barks. Besides the fact that it is fairly politically incorrect.

FC 386 matches WDCS 138 so any WDCS stories with Scrooge such as 134 with the first beagle boys predate the 386.

http://www.brucehamilton.com/anotherrainbow/scroogelist.html

> FC 379 - "Southern Hospitality"

>

> Pre dates 386 by a few months and has a prominent Scrooge cover and story no

> less plust it is not drawn by Barks. Besides the fact that it is fairly

> politically incorrect.

Interesting, I am not sure I ever read this story (don't think it was published in Denmark where I grew up). If anyone has it, I'd be curious to hear about Scrooge's personality. Also, how was it politically incorrect? Barks' stories up to this time had basically portrayed him as a lonely, frail, and mean old miser closely inspired by the Dickens story. About his only purpose in the early stories was to figure out who deserved to inherit his fortune. With FC 386, the character became much more rounded.

---

Edit: Re: "Back to the Klondike"/FC 456 below, a friend and I have been trying to locate original artwork for years without success. If I remember correctly, 4 censored pages are known to have survived(?). An example from this story is notably missing from my Barks OA collection and at the very top of my want list. We'll pay $30,000-$45,000 for a complete page.

Edited by hkp

>

> less plust it is not drawn by Barks. Besides the fact that it is fairly

> politically incorrect.

Interesting, I am not sure I ever read this story (don't think it was published in Denmark where I grew up). If anyone has it, I'd be curious to hear about Scrooge's personality. Also, how was it politically incorrect? Barks' stories up to this time had basically portrayed him as a lonely, frail, and mean old miser closely inspired by the Dickens story. About his only purpose in the early stories was to figure out who deserved to inherit his fortune. With FC 386, the character became much more rounded.

hpk,

FC 379 was an entry in the Month Thread Linky Poo

Here are the scans from the book -

814063-FC379Story1s.jpg

814063-FC379Story1Page1s.jpg

814063-FC379Story1Page2s.jpg

814063-FC379Story1Page3s.jpg

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 4, Complimentary Copy. Gerber "9", listed as "Very Rare" by Overstreet with five known copies (this is the fifth copy, for years Overstreet listed four copies known). This is also for sale, please see the Marketplace for more info.

wdcs4front.jpg

wdcs4back.jpg

>

> less plus it is not drawn by Barks. Besides the fact that it is fairly

> politically incorrect.

---

Edit: Re: "Back to the Klondike"/FC 456 below, a friend and I have been trying to locate original artwork for years without success. If I remember correctly, 4 censored pages are known to have survived(?). An example from this story is notably missing from my Barks OA collection and at the very top of my want list. We'll pay $30,000-$45,000 for a complete page.

Politically incorrect as it depicts a slave type cover. Not over the top but Disney will never reprint it. Speaking of that, is there such a list as covers / stories that Disney won't reprint (or won't allow reprinted) I know this FC 379, WDCS 124 (ether) and the halloween Donald Four Color are on the "banned" list. Any others?

There have to be a couple Africa stories which don't depict tribesmen in a flattering light. I'm curious is there is an actual list from Disney.