• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

I think the IDW Donald Duck books are excellent, which is no surprise, as I think that their entire line of reprint books is first class. The upcoming Silly Symphonies four book series will be outstanding and will include the great Bucky Bug war with the ants sequence as well as all of the early Donald Duck strips before he got his own title.

That's certainly a series I will buy as I've always been a Bucky Bug fan. I think that strip is somewhat underrated.

I think the IDW Donald Duck books are excellent, which is no surprise, as I think that their entire line of reprint books is first class. The upcoming Silly Symphonies four book series will be outstanding and will include the great Bucky Bug war with the ants sequence as well as all of the early Donald Duck strips before he got his own title.

That's certainly a series I will buy as I've always been a Bucky Bug fan. I think that strip is somewhat underrated.

Thanks for the tip, YK. I've added it to my wishlist.

Those are some beautiful copies, sqeggs.

Looking at the last cover, it seems somewhat of a paradox how Barks often used valuable collectible stamps in his work, yet, today, comic books have been playing a much bigger role in popular culture for the past generation.

Looking at the last cover, it seems somewhat of a paradox how Barks often used valuable collectible stamps in his work, yet, today, comic books have been playing a much bigger role in popular culture for the past generation.

Good point. Stamp collecting figures prominently, of course, in the plot of FC 422, which is one of my favorite Barks stories and the first FC that I ever bought. Still have that copy 40 years later.

I think stamp collecting was a pretty widespread hobby among kids in the 1950s. My older brother had a stamp album. I believe some parents used to push their kids to get involved with it because it was supposedly educational as kids collected stamps showing historical figures or stamps from other countries.

That's an interesting contrast to comic books which, by the broader public in the mid 1950s, must have been considered just about the least educational medium available to children.

That's an interesting contrast to comic books which, by the broader public in the mid 1950s, must have been considered just about the least educational medium available to children.

That's true of many parents' opinions of comics, particularly pre-code, I would guess. In my working class neighborhood, though, most kids seemed to read comics and sometimes had few, if any, other books in the house. I would hazard a guess that many of those kids honed their reading skills on comics in a way they otherwise wouldn't have. And in those post-code times, the content of the comics would have seemed pretty innocuous to even the most skeptical parents.

I don't remember my parents objecting to the stories in any of my comics, although I also don't remember them looking at them all that closely :D

Good point. Stamp collecting figures prominently, of course, in the plot of FC 422, which is one of my favorite Barks stories and the first FC that I ever bought. Still have that copy 40 years later.

I think stamp collecting was a pretty widespread hobby among kids in the 1950s. My older brother had a stamp album. I believe some parents used to push their kids to get involved with it because it was supposedly educational as kids collected stamps showing historical figures or stamps from other countries.

My Mom inherited a stamp album from her Aunt that was put together around 1915. It is quite nice and the stamps are really quite beautiful and interesting. It contains stamps from around the world dating from around 1800-1915. There are many interesting pieces highlighting American history along with stamp types that no longer exist like playing card stamps, legal document stamps and special delivery stamps.

While it doesn't have the allure of the comics it is certainly fun to pull out and peruse a bit of world history. The make up of Europe is quite interesting as this was pre WWI and a different world.

Collecting stamps in the 1950's was far more popular than it is today. Coin collecting was even more popular because kids had those inexpensive blue Whitman folders and tried to fill all of the spaces. I can't tell you how many rolls of cents I went through before I eventually completed the Lincoln Cents folder just from coins in circulation. Comic book collecting was in its infancy, and in 1957 I only had one other friend who was also a collector. Today those trends have totally reversed. The big question now is what will be collected 20 years from now with the death of paper media almost inevitable.

Today, I am more optimistic about the future of comic book collecting than I was 10 years ago. Somehow, the ideas that are embedded in the ink printed on that old paper seem to be transcending the gap to the digital generation far better than I had feared. In fact, I think it is fair to say that comic book characters play a more dominating role in popular culture today than literature does. Even more importantly, comic book characters are ideally suited for interactive/immersive digital media and, with the emergence of virtual reality in consumer electronics, we have only scratched the surface of an immense unexplored potential. This trend will continue to raise awareness of the original first appearances of popular characters, not only in the Western world, but across the world where computer games and immersive 3d movies will have a reach that comic books never could compete with. If vintage comic books had been printed on vellum or papyrus, my guess is that there would still continue to be a growing demand for those featuring well known characters. Not because of what they look like or how they were constructed, but because people will want to own rare and desirable items that represent the coolest, most brilliant ideas, anyone has come up with.

Edited by tb

A relevant article to the topic -- though not specifically about ducks.

"Comic Books Have Made a Huge Comeback in the Past Five Years"

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/03/comic-books-have-made-a-huge-comeback-in-the-past-five-years/

Today, I am more optimistic about the future of comic book collecting than I was 10 years ago. Somehow, the ideas that are embedded in the ink printed on that old paper seem to be transcending the gap to the digital generation far better than I had feared. In fact, I think it is fair to say that comic book characters play a more dominating role in popular culture today than literature does. Even more importantly, comic book characters are ideally suited for interactive/immersive digital media and, with the emergence of virtual reality in consumer electronics, we have only scratched the surface of an immense unexplored potential. This trend will continue to raise awareness of the original first appearances of popular characters, not only in the Western world, but across the world where computer games and immersive 3d movies will have a reach that comic books never could compete with. If vintage comic books had been printed on vellum or papyrus, my guess is that there would still continue to be a growing demand for those featuring well known characters. Not because of what they look like or how they were constructed, but because people will want to own rare and desirable items that represent the coolest, most brilliant ideas, anyone has come up with.

I would agree with this. I also even sometimes enjoy adding an old stamp to my collection, generally a US issue, though I also like Australia. And as far as coins go (at least for those made of gold and silver) they will always maintain a level of interest, until the alchemists find a way to manfacture them to be cheaply available on demand. :)