• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:
13 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Good to see you at the show! I was very happy with the nice copy of WDC&S 32 I obtained from Terry. :) 

Good to see you too Steve. Post your book if you'd like; some of those early Barks' stories didn't get reprinted in the comics.

WDC&S is a GA key, imo, as the first Barks DD 10-pager.  The Buettner cover is also great -- and appropriate to the season!

On 3/21/2018 at 9:16 AM, First Upgrade said:

Working through four magazine size boxes of Duck books, Four Color, WDC & S, Dell, Gold Key, which are predominantly from the Golden Age...original owner books with many featuring subscription stamps, or subscription creases, & all in various conditions...

IMG_20180321_070804~2.jpg

IMG_20180321_070741~2.jpg

Wow!  I dream of finding a collection like this. Some day.:sorry:

I posted this in my journal, where it sparked a little discussion, so I thought I'd put it here as well. This is the first Australian printing of this story, about 6-8 months after the Four Color version.

G11.thumb.jpg.5c55c00dbc584d70ff453a10d865e7d6.jpg

These Australian Disneys typically had better producktion values than the Dell versions - better paper of heavier and whiter stock, and (probably because of that) a better colour strike. Here are the two in a comparative shot (Australian on top):

001.thumb.JPG.072205b7bc4e3f49b33933e1e88ea30d.JPG

On 4/5/2018 at 9:13 AM, Duffman_Comics said:

Didn't the Dell duck books in the fifties have lovely covers - large characters, plain but gently coloured backgrounds, total lack of word balloons and "blurb" allowing for simple but effective gags.

Beautiful book. :applause:

I think I remember reading in one of the Barks interviews that not being able to use any words on the cover often posed a challenge to him -- one that he nearly always met!  I much prefer the Barks covers to the earlier Kelly covers, much as I like Kelly. 

16 hours ago, AJD said:

I posted this in my journal, where it sparked a little discussion, so I thought I'd put it here as well. This is the first Australian printing of this story, about 6-8 months after the Four Color version.

G11.thumb.jpg.5c55c00dbc584d70ff453a10d865e7d6.jpg

These Australian Disneys typically had better producktion values than the Dell versions - better paper of heavier and whiter stock, and (probably because of that) a better colour strike. Here are the two in a comparative shot (Australian on top):

001.thumb.JPG.072205b7bc4e3f49b33933e1e88ea30d.JPG

For a minute there I was thinking the U.S. version actually looked better until I realized that you didn't mean the Australian version was at the top of the frame but was lying on top of the U.S. version. doh! The paper is certainly whiter and the reds are a lot more vivid.

The Golden Helmet is such a great story.  If someone was unfamiliar with Barks and skeptical that a Donald Duck story could possibly have appeal to an adult, you couldn't do much more to convince them otherwise than to give them this story to read.

10 hours ago, AJD said:

I'm very fond of duck books and giveaway comics. That makes this a must have for me. Took a while, but now I have one.

large.DD_atom_bomb.jpg.b8697c51a9e8decf7bd5f733f7260236.jpg

Very cool.  Iirc, it was only reprinted once (although maybe it's been reprinted other times since) and I remember tracking down a copy of the reprint to read it because my copy was slabbed. 

7 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's one I don't have. I've always loved the cover on that one.

I would have preferred a Barks cover. I'm not the biggest fan of Buettner's ducks. I'd have preferred Barks on the cover of FC 108, 147 and 178 too.

One thing that surprised me when I opened this up was that the story is in colour. I guess that shouldn't have been surprising, but I'd only seen it in the B&W Barks library.