• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Came across this while looking in a box for something completely different.  Can't say I'm impressed by Mickey & Minnie on the cover, but there's a Barks story inside.

Disneyland_Birthday_Party.jpg

I used to love buying those giants as a kid to see what surprises awaited inside. Finding a Barks story was always the goal; they were pretty plentiful in the wild back then going to pocket change but they usually were rough as shown as they were read to death by the kids.

40 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I used to love buying those giants as a kid to see what surprises awaited inside. Finding a Barks story was always the goal; they were pretty plentiful in the wild back then going to pocket change but they usually were rough as shown as they were read to death by the kids.

Tell me about it.  I got this one at the same time I got a copy of Uncle Scrooge goes to Disneyland and a couple others; they were all in the 5 dollar range or so around 2006.  So, still cheap.  But the USgtD was missing the first page, which I didn't notice until I got home and did a page count.  The Barks story in that one is intact, so it was still good reading, but your point about how rough they are holds.

Oddball question I may have asked before:  Does anybody have a list of which Dell Giants have Uncle Scrooge stories by Barks?  I'm specifically looking for the ones where he's the credited character on the feature; not just staring in, say, a Donald story.  So Christmas Parade #9 wouldn't count; because the story is labeled a Donald Duck story even if Scrooge plays a major role.  I know there's the the one in the Disneyland Birthday Party; it's actually credited to US & Gyro but I'm good with the shared credit.  There's also the story in the US goes to Disneyland.  And I believe there are stories in Summer Fun #2 and Mickey Mouse Almanac.  Does anybody know of any others?

I was reading and simultaneously comparing the coloring of the first story of WDCS 85 with the Fantagraphics recent restauration, with Gladstone's one and with a modern one from my country (apparently loosely based on Gladstone's one).

Incredible how poor Fantagraphics was compared to the other three. By far the worst one.

15 hours ago, dikran1 said:

no idea what’s inside, any help? 😂

Is it really the first Donald book? And if so, why is it so inexpensive?

Centerfold pictured...text story accompanied by illustrations.

It has been identified as the first book ever devoted to Donald Duck.

The sales price is often correlated with condition. Lower grade examples tend to be 'inexpensive' while higher grade examples tend to be 'more' expensive(See attached example). Although, if you know where to look, then bargains can be found out in the wild... 

20200724_184650.jpg

20200729_120418.png

2 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

Centerfold pictured...text story accompanied by illustrations.

It has been identified as the first book ever devoted to Donald Duck.

The sales price is often correlated with condition. Lower grade examples tend to be 'inexpensive' while higher grade examples tend to be 'more' expensive(See attached example). Although, if you know where to look, then bargains can be found out in the wild... 

20200724_184650.jpg

20200729_120418.png

Just what I wanted to know! Thanks a bunch for the info. I suppose it not being an actual “comic” plays in the value determination also. But still I’m very happy to own a copy!

Now let’s keep all this awesome Duck stuff between us until I collect everything I need without tons of Millennials competing 🤫 😂

In today.  Not terribly major, but as far as I know "Go Slowly, Sands of Time" is the last new Uncle Scrooge story Barks worked on, and this is its first US publication.  (If I'm wrong I would love to be corrected.)  I know the original version appeared as a text piece, and this is just an adaptation of that.  Even with all the qualifiers, still fun:

Uncle_Scrooge_216.jpg

Ok so I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole of figuring out Donald’s “first appearance”.

My conclusion is the June 1934 Good Housekeeping magazine. It’s the preview of Wise Little Hen, his first animated appearance. 2 panels and not named, could be a cameo 🤔😂

I’m ignoring the Mickey Mouse book where he’s just a random duck. 

Was there anything earlier?  

On 8/6/2020 at 10:39 PM, OtherEric said:

In today.  Not terribly major, but as far as I know "Go Slowly, Sands of Time" is the last new Uncle Scrooge story Barks worked on, and this is its first US publication.  (If I'm wrong I would love to be corrected.)  I know the original version appeared as a text piece, and this is just an adaptation of that.  Even with all the qualifiers, still fun:

Uncle_Scrooge_216.jpg

Those Gladstone comics were pretty fun when they came out in the mid to later eighties. It was great to see the new Don Rosa material along with other classic US and European artists. Fun runs topped off by the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck!

On 8/6/2020 at 11:39 PM, OtherEric said:

Uncle_Scrooge_216.jpg

Love the Gladstone books. I've carted my collection from the center of the country to one coast and then back close to the other coast. Its one of the few runs I have never sold and rebuilt because it was just so awesome in my opinion. I did buy this copy from Heritage to go with my original copy because its price was less than I could have had my copy graded. So now I have one grade copy and one copy to read which i am going to go do now that you reminded me of it. :) 

US_216_CGC_Front.jpg

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Love the Gladstone books. I've carted my collection from the center of the country to one coast and then back close to the other coast. Its one of the few runs I have never sold and rebuilt because it was just so awesome in my opinion. I did buy this copy from Heritage to go with my original copy because its price was less than I could have had my copy graded. So now I have one grade copy and one copy to read which i am going to go do now that you reminded me of it. :) 

US_216_CGC_Front.jpg

Finished the story and it is good! :) One thing I love about the Gladstone reprints is that it is obvious they love the content. Many times there will be interior text pieces that talk about the stories or expand on Carl Barks' legend. This one is no different.

RCO002_1464696317.jpg