• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

Seeing garth's VP1 makes me wish I had copy of this great story to read. I'm looking forward to the new 30 volume Scandinavian Carl Barks Library that's to be released over the next year - the quality supposedly will be far superior to the US editions.

I've posted my "A" copy of MM Mag V1#8 previously. Here is another nice copy of this great cover (which I unfortunately had to sell).

CE_M1-8_900.jpg

Will the Scandinavian Barks collection include the "Atom Bomb" story, I wonder?

I'm tempted to scan the whole story and post it, but the book's tucked away now and I don't really relish laying it flat on the scanner anyway.

I saw a copy up for sale the other day on eBay, with half the cover missing... looked like it was going to sell for peanuts. I shoulda bought it just for scanning the interior!

Love those MM mags... I've considered trying to collect those, but gotta stay on target with the Barks complete run quest..! (Still got a long ways to go...)

Those are some beauties!! That file copy is awesome.

Here's a grail I picked up recently:

Nice Vacation Parade! I just bought a reprint of the book yesterday (it just came out) - I'll let you know what I think. gossip.gif

Those are amazing copies of # 22. I also like patriotic covers. I'd have many requests for scans but I'll stick to just one. Anyone has a scan of a nice copy of # 58 = V. 5 # 10 - July 45 issue. That would be greatly appreciated.

Four Color 62 is my favorite Golden Age comic of all time. In terms

of giant leaps in art, storytelling, and character development only

FC 386 comes close. I am just negotiating a deal on a copy for my

own collection.

Here is another recently arrived WDC&S file copy. Another vastly

underrated patriotic cover and one of my favorites among the pre-Barks

issues. Can't wait for my file copy of #31 to arrive.

wdcs20_met_900.jpg

Hkp, the bright colors on that Vol. 2 No. 8 are something else. Your Disney books are incredible; I've never seen so many in such amazing condition.

Ft88, I've really been enjoying your books too. Keep posting.

Edited by RareHighGrade

Simply Positively Stunning 893whatthe.gif This one is also on my patriotic list as well as a few other looney tunes: 18, 20 which are respectively April and June 1942 (that is they bookend the WDCS you just posted) and 33.

Hey guys, I'm a coin collector who once in a while likes to look at comic covers. I especially like this thread because I (perhaps like many coin collectors) have a soft spot for Uncle Scrooge.

Regardless, I have a couple of questions concerning the value of the duck books:

1) Does it affect the value of a book if the main story in the book is later reprinted?

2) Does it affect the value of a book if the cover is later reprinted?

Thanks in advance for answers. And, PLEASE keep on posting covers--they are really neat to see!

Mark

Hey guys, I'm a coin collector who once in a while likes to look at comic covers. I especially like this thread because I (perhaps like many coin collectors) have a soft spot for Uncle Scrooge.

Regardless, I have a couple of questions concerning the value of the duck books:

1) Does it affect the value of a book if the main story in the book is later reprinted?

2) Does it affect the value of a book if the cover is later reprinted?

Thanks in advance for answers. And, PLEASE keep on posting covers--they are really neat to see!

Mark

Welcome to the boards!

It's nice to see casual visitors drop by.

I had no idea Scrooge was noticed by coin collectors but I'm glad he is.

In general, re-printing does affect the value of comics. In the case of Duck books, I'm not sure that they aren't the exception. Carl Barks, creator of Uncle Scrooge, is considered one of the finest story-tellers in comics -- many consider him in the top 3. His work has been continuously re-printed around the world so that kids of every generation starting with the 1940s are exposed to his work. Thus, there is a continuous demand from collectors joining the hobby for these books, causing a very gradual rise in demand. (Superheros rule in terms of comic pricing, they have had more dramatic increases than Duck books.)

As slabbed comics make further inroads into the collecting community you may see the reprint issue go away. It's a bit dodgy trying to read the comic through the slab.

No posts for a week? frown.gif

Here's another modern Don Rosa cover from my collection

dda8.jpg

AAARGH frustrated.gif...those boys at CGC really missed on this one... it's not a Rosa cover it's a GA Carl Barks cover.

Story in this book was made by Rosa and inspiration came from this old cover. Markings on the handbag were added.

Anyway nice book!