• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 50 Copper Books in Overstreet
7 7

402 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Dude you can only sell so many Infinity Gauntlet sets, c'mon man.

I've actually been a bit slow on selling IG sets because for some reason I still believe the next Avengers movie will be called Infinity Gauntlet.  Probably will come back to bite me.  Been selling Infinity War and Crusades like they are hot cakes. 

Thanos Quest has always been much tougher to find then the other sets which is probably due to it having a much better story then the rest.

Edited by 1Cool

On 8/6/2018 at 6:56 PM, PeterPark said:

Thor 337 has no bronze feel to me whatsoever. I know people love to say how it seems some titles go bronze or copper or silver or whatever at different times, if anything I would say Thor 337 is the start of its copper age. I may also be in the minority in this, but if the period is only 7-8 years, that seems more a phase than an age. Are we to think 4 more ages have come and gone (or almost gone) since the copper age?

I agree with this completely, and have said similar before. 1984-1991 is a phase, not an age.

DoS was the quintessential Copper, as was Knightfall...as was Fall From Grace, really....all of those are "outside" the arbitrary cutoff for Copper at 1991.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

DoS was the quintessential Copper

Doctor O'Strange? :baiting:

The once sacrosanct ages have become as feeble as virgin choir boys :blush:

Edited by divad

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I agree with this completely, and have said similar before. 1984-1991 is a phase, not an age.

DoS was the quintessential Copper, as was Knightfall...as was Fall From Grace, really....all of those are "outside" the arbitrary cutoff for Copper at 1991.

Yup. As with the beginning of the Copper Era, there are many things which mark the transition of the end over the course of a couple of years -- the Supes and Bats storylines feel like the hard endpoint of what much of the age was building towards, so that stretches Copper to late 93. I think the founding of Image in 1992 is one of the big markers for the next era, then consider the onslaught of bad-girl books (Lady Death first appeared in 1991) as well as the gimmick cover overload which also started in 1991. Those 3 things all scream "Nineties" to me, so starts to feel outside of Copper. I almost want to put Sandman in the next era as well. Started in 1989 and was really building on the foundation Moore laid much earlier, but was, to me, leaps and bounds ahead of most anything else released at the time. Also was heavily influential in DC's launch of Vertigo in 1993, so photo-Chromium Age (if that's what we're calling it, although it really sounds like an insult to call Sandman a Chromium Age book). The problem is that this in-between era which comes after Copper still hasn't quite found an identity (Era X) and, thus, it's hard to figure out when it starts if it hasn't really found a definition yet.

10 hours ago, valiantman said:

Easy.

1980s comics

1990s comics

Those are the names.

Forget ages. They're over. :)

I get that you're a numbers guy, but Art and Literature are almost universally categorized by eras and genres, not decades. Try to put Ingres and Delacroix in the same room and tell them they're both 1820's artists. It'd be a brawl. Comics are both Art and Literature, so it's only natural that fans/scholars would categorize them the same way. As one of the most knowledgeable members of the boards, your time and input would be quite valuable by contributing to the discussion of which characteristics (beyond New Year's Day of 1980 and 1990) help define certain time periods rather than just stonewalling it with the same response. 

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I get that you're a numbers guy, but Art and Literature are almost universally categorized by eras and genres, not decades. Try to put Ingres and Delacroix in the same room and tell them they're both 1820's artists. It'd be a brawl. Comics are both Art and Literature, so it's only natural that fans/scholars would categorize them the same way. As one of the most knowledgeable members of the boards, your time and input would be quite valuable by contributing to the discussion of which characteristics (beyond New Year's Day of 1980 and 1990) help define certain time periods rather than just stonewalling it with the same response. 

Your argument doesn't work because the existing comic ages are defined by years.  Your example of 1820 doesn't work because 1952 is Golden Age whether you're talking about superheroes, pre-code horror, westerns, or ducks.

They're all Golden Age, despite extremely different characteristics.

1980s comics are definitely varied, but they're all 1980s comics.

I look at the period generally considered "Copper" as the first half of Copper. The second half is characterized by the rise and fall of new superhero universes (Valiant, Image, Comic's Greatest World, Milestone, Ultraverse, etc.) and probably ends around the time that those new superhero univreses disappeared and Marvel relaunched some of their oldest titles (Avengers, FF, ASM, etc.). I'd say that the age that followed that runs from about that time to around the launch of New 52, Marvel Now, Valiant Entertainment, etc. Time works well for the span of an age.

5 hours ago, valiantman said:
6 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Your argument doesn't work because the existing comic ages are defined by years.  Your example of 1820 doesn't work because 1952 is Golden Age whether you're talking about superheroes, pre-code horror, westerns, or ducks.

They're all Golden Age, despite extremely different characteristics.

1980s comics are definitely varied, but they're all 1980s comics.

It's not an argument, it's a lofty, romantic discussion. :grin:

Here's my 2c from this article:

• Golden Age: 1938 (Action Comics #1) to 1955
  • Silver Age: 1956 (Showcase #4) to 1969
  • Bronze Age: 1970 (Green Lantern #76) to 1979
  • Copper Age: 1980 to 1991
  • Modern Age: 1992 (Youngblood #1) to present day

The 25-year Modern Age seems too broad; I think there should be a delineation somewhere in the late-'90s/early-'00s. Perhaps the Marvel turnaround starting with Marvel Knights' Daredevil #1 (1998), Joe Quesada becoming Marvel EIC (2000), or the new breed of Image creator-owned titles starting with Walking Dead #1 (2003). If so, then the new Ages could look like this:

• Modern Age: 1992 (Youngblood #1) to 2002
  • Digital Age: 2003 (Walking Dead #1) to present day

‘Digital’ Age seems apt due to digital production and consumption becoming increasingly prevalent during this period.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:38 PM, O. said:

Here's my 2c from this article:

• Golden Age: 1938 (Action Comics #1) to 1955
  • Silver Age: 1956 (Showcase #4) to 1969
  • Bronze Age: 1970 (Green Lantern #76) to 1979
  • Copper Age: 1980 to 1991
  • Modern Age: 1992 (Youngblood #1) to present day

The 25-year Modern Age seems too broad; I think there should be a delineation somewhere in the late-'90s/early-'00s. Perhaps the Marvel turnaround starting with Marvel Knights' Daredevil #1 (1998), Joe Quesada becoming Marvel EIC (2000), or the new breed of Image creator-owned titles starting with Walking Dead #1 (2003). If so, then the new Ages could look like this:

• Modern Age: 1992 (Youngblood #1) to 2002
  • Digital Age: 2003 (Walking Dead #1) to present day

‘Digital’ Age seems apt due to digital production and consumption becoming increasingly prevalent during this period.

Like this breakdown a lot...I might argue on 1991's release of Valiant's Magnus: Robot Fighter #1 as the beginning of the "Modern Age" (I personally like Chromium Age better). For me, both Valiant and Image began the comic craze of the 90's before the crash...but Valiant came first.

1 hour ago, Not A Clone said:

So what is generally considered the ASM copper age? 

How about #238-#360? 

1st Hobgoblin would be the start of the age, and the end of the age would be just before Carnage debuts. Carnage seems like a "modern" starting point for ASM.

9 hours ago, joecgcmaniac said:

How about #238-#360? 

1st Hobgoblin would be the start of the age, and the end of the age would be just before Carnage debuts. Carnage seems like a "modern" starting point for ASM.

Sounds good to me!

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

Death of Superman seems like a good starting point for modern age 1993-present  

Death of Superman is without question the end of the Copper Age. Copper, like Bronze, has several places where you can say "hmm, that's it". The start of Valiant maybe, the end of the McFarlane Spider-Man run, etc. etc., but definitely Superman 75. The next summer's Marvel books are all not Copper - ASM 375, etc.

47 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Death of Superman is without question the end of the Copper Age. Copper, like Bronze, has several places where you can say "hmm, that's it". The start of Valiant maybe, the end of the McFarlane Spider-Man run, etc. etc., but definitely Superman 75. The next summer's Marvel books are all not Copper - ASM 375, etc.

How are they not Copper? What’s different?