• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 50 Copper Books in Overstreet
7 7

402 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I don't think we "need" ages, but we have them all the same. It wouldn't make any difference to me if they went away, but that genie isn't going back into the bottle, so if we are, as a hobby, going to bandy these terms about, it serves us to make them a little more accurate. 

Golden Age

Silver Age

Bronze Age

1980s comics

1990s comics

Etc.

Best of both worlds. (thumbsu

10 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I don't think we "need" ages, but we have them all the same. It wouldn't make any difference to me if they went away, but that genie isn't going back into the bottle, so if we are, as a hobby, going to bandy these terms about, it serves us to make them a little more accurate. 

I think the "ages" already are going away.  Golden Age collectors no longer tend to view the term Golden Age to be all that useful.  They now use terms like "pre-Code," "pre-war," "WWII," "post-war," 1930s, 1950s, with a lot more regularity than merely saying Golden Age.  

Why?  Because "pre-code" is much more relevant to describe content and desirability than Golden Age when it comes to Crime, Horror and Romance genres.  "Pre-War" and "1930s" denotes a next level of rarity and desirability over mere Golden Age.  "WWII era" is more descriptive of content than the broader GA term.  This gets even more micro when talking about specific titles - e.g. pre-Robin tecs or Barks WDC&S, etc.  

I envision a future where I think most comic collectors will recognize that the "ages" terms are just a historical oddity that serve only a limited purpose.  The focus will shift to more easily understood and descriptive terms, and we will talk about comic collecting and history without the need to be limited by terms a few DC superhero fans coined over 50 years ago.   

13 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I think the "ages" already are going away.  Golden Age collectors no longer tend to view the term Golden Age to be all that useful.  They now use terms like "pre-Code," "pre-war," "WWII," "post-war," 1930s, 1950s, with a lot more regularity than merely saying Golden Age.  

Why?  Because "pre-code" is much more relevant to describe content and desirability than Golden Age when it comes to Crime, Horror and Romance genres.  "Pre-War" and "1930s" denotes a next level of rarity and desirability over mere Golden Age.  "WWII era" is more descriptive of content than the broader GA term.  This gets even more micro when talking about specific titles - e.g. pre-Robin tecs or Barks WDC&S, etc.  

I envision a future where I think most comic collectors will recognize that the "ages" terms are just a historical oddity that serve only a limited purpose.  The focus will shift to more easily understood and descriptive terms, and we will talk about comic collecting and history without the need to be limited by terms a few DC superhero fans coined over 50 years ago.   

Works for me! I agree, I am never going to just search "Golden Age", but I may very likely search "precode horror" or "pch". 

20 hours ago, valiantman said:

Golden Age

Silver Age

Bronze Age

1980s comics

1990s comics

Etc.

Best of both worlds. (thumbsu

Don't like it.  My slight OCD needs consistency:cry:.

Get rid of "age".  Make it simple...1950s comics, 1960s comics, etc.  That's the most common sense solution:sumo:.

Hello all -

It's that time of year, as I call on all boardies to help me put together an annual "crowd-sourced" list of the Top 50 Copper Age keys for the annual Overstreet Price Guide. What are the key books of this era? What books need to be added based on this year’s market – and which books from previous years get the boot? 

For this list, we're working from a (rough) 1982 to 1992 timeline here. Last year's list (which appears on p. 117 of the Guide) included the following books:

• Albedo #2
  • Amazing Spider-Man #238, #252, #298, #300, #316
  • Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #320
  • Batman #357, #404, #428
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1
  • Batman: The Killing Joke
  • Bone #1
  • Caliber Presents #1
  • Comico Primer #2
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #7
  • The Crow #1
  • Daredevil #181
  • DC Comics Presents #47
  • Evil Ernie #1
  • G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1, #21
  • Harbinger #1
  • Incredible Hulk #271, #340
  • Marvel Graphic Novel #4
  • Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8
  • Miracleman #15
  • New Mutants #87, #98
  • Punisher (limited series) #1
  • Sandman #1, #8
  • Spectacular Spider-Man #64
  • Silver Surfer #34
  • Spawn #1
  • Suicide Squad #1
  • Superman #75
  • Swamp Thing #21, #37
  • Tales of the New Teen Titans #44
  • Thor #337
  • Transformers #1
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1
  • Uncanny X-Men #221, #266
  • Warrior (UK Magazine) #1
  • Watchmen #1
  • Wolverine (limited series) #1
  • X-Factor #6

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

As always, while I'll use some "editorial oversight", I promise to do my best to reflect the consensus of the discussion...

Well, 1st thought - it's been shown that ASM #301 is a much tougher book than #298. hm

Bats #423 is worthy of your consideration. :grin:

And Suicide Squad #1 . . . Just. Doesn't. Belong. :sumo:

Daredevil #254 has clearly replaced #181 as the CA darling . . . :whistle:

And lastly, Thor #411 & 412 are worthy of serious consideration, if not now, when? :acclaim:

Edited by divad

On 11/6/2018 at 1:31 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Don't trust ANYONE'S word completely. Everyone makes mistakes.

I still have about a short box of all flavors. Waiting for Miller to come down to earth. Probably now. 

As far as the printing issues, no, doesn't affect them at all. 

27 minutes ago, divad said:

Well, 1st thought - it's been shown that ASM #301 is a much tougher book than #298. hm

And Suicide Squad #1 . . . Just. Doesn't. Belong. :sumo:

Replace it with Wonder Woman 72.

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Silver Surfer 44, Thanos Quest, or Infinity Gauntlet 1 might need some consideration for the next year.

If we're including 1992, Eternal Warrior #1 & Rai #0 should be considered, now that the Bloodshot movie is in production.

Who gets the boot? I would say Transformers #1 or Suicide Squad #1 can go.

I know you meant Eternal Warrior 4 here, but...maybe wait until the movie comes out first? Not saying those Valiants won't warrant consideration for a year or two, but I doubt either would still be on the list four years from now.

and I'd be hard-pressed to drop Transformers # 1, given that it's inspired seven movies so far and is still going strong (with _great_ reviews for Bumblebee).

It may no longer be en vogue among speculators because it's old news but it remains a major key.

I also think X-Factor 6 can go. I'm old-school and always thought X-Factor 24 was a bigger key anyway, but with the movie in our rear-view and prices having tanked, I don't see # 6 coming back anytime soon. I reckon I'll be saying the same about Spectacular Spider-Man 64 next year once the show's been cancelled.

Edited by Gatsby77

12 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Is Marvel Age 41 hot simply because of the Stan Lee cover? If so, I wonder why we don't see similar action for Marvel Vision 4.

Sometime last year these started to sell well as signed slabs, once it was known that this book sells well with stan signing it, it started selling well raw... I can think of many Stan cover comics that do well, my personal favorite was Comic Reader #179, which is actually not my favorite now anymore since he passed