• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 50 Copper Books in Overstreet
7 7

402 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Cry For Dawn makes sense. But G.I. Joe 155; other than having a low print run, is there anything key about it? There are plenty of last issues with low print runs

I'd be more concerned that G.I. Joe #155 is from December 1994, and doesn't qualify for the list at all.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:51 PM, Brock said:

Hello all -

It's that time of year, as I call on all boardies to help me put together an annual "crowd-sourced" list of the Top 50 Copper Age keys for the annual Overstreet Price Guide. What are the key books of this era? What books need to be added based on this year’s market – and which books from previous years get the boot? 

For this list, we're working from a (rough) 1982 to 1992 timeline here. Last year's list (which appears on p. 117 of the Guide) included the following books:

• Albedo #2
  • Amazing Spider-Man #238, #252, #298, #300, #316
  • Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #320
  • Batman #357, #404, #428
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1
  • Batman: The Killing Joke
  • Bone #1
  • Caliber Presents #1
  • Comico Primer #2
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths #7
  • The Crow #1
  • Daredevil #181
  • DC Comics Presents #47
  • Evil Ernie #1
  • G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1, #21
  • Harbinger #1
  • Incredible Hulk #271, #340
  • Marvel Graphic Novel #4
  • Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8
  • Miracleman #15
  • New Mutants #87, #98
  • Punisher (limited series) #1
  • Sandman #1, #8
  • Spectacular Spider-Man #64
  • Silver Surfer #34
  • Spawn #1
  • Suicide Squad #1
  • Superman #75
  • Swamp Thing #21, #37
  • Tales of the New Teen Titans #44
  • Thor #337
  • Transformers #1
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1
  • Uncanny X-Men #221, #266
  • Warrior (UK Magazine) #1
  • Watchmen #1
  • Wolverine (limited series) #1
  • X-Factor #6

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

As always, while I'll use some "editorial oversight", I promise to do my best to reflect the consensus of the discussion...

Transformers 1?  Gi Joe?  What world is this, the 1980s?!

Personally, i'm a fan of 2 indie books I don't see listed much.  I, Lusipher 1, and Cry for Dawn 1.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Silver Surfer 44, Thanos Quest, or Infinity Gauntlet 1 might need some consideration for the next year.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:02 AM, mrwoogieman said:

ASM 361 - published 4/92

+1

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It's unimportant. The only thing it has going for it is that it's a last issue. the stupid cover.

Fixed, because 48 is not 50. And emphasized, because the first part is very accurate.

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
18 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It's unimportant. The only thing it has going for it is that it's a last issue. the stupid cover.

Fixed, because 48 is not 50. And emphasized, because the first part is very accurate.

Agreed. And only because perverts decided Alf was trying to violate the seal. He's not. The seal's just trying to get away. It's an awkward pose, to be sure, but I highly, seriously doubt that Dave Manak drew some sort of sexual innuendo in that cover. Plus, without getting too graphic...the position is completely wrong, assuming Alf with anthropomorphic anatomy.

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Agreed. And only because perverts decided Alf was trying to violate the seal. He's not. The seal's just trying to get away. It's an awkward pose, to be sure, but I highly, seriously doubt that Dave Manak drew some sort of sexual innuendo in that cover. Plus, without getting too graphic...the position is completely wrong, assuming Alf with anthropomorphic anatomy.

I'm not as certain that it's completely unintentional, though I'll admit it's possible.

Either way, all those infamous innuendo covers sell, well... because perverts.

Of course, I never understood why "lingerie panels" were always noted by OSPG with Golden Age books, but... because perverts. Like people never saw a Sears catalog before 1987...

I don't make the market, I just live in it. But I'll agree that while Alf 48 is a cuiriosity, it's not really a key.

5 hours ago, Brock said:

I'm not as certain that it's completely unintentional, though I'll admit it's possible.

Of course, I never understood why "lingerie panels" were always noted by OSPG with Golden Age books, but... because perverts. Like people never saw a Sears catalog before 1987...

I don't make the market, I just live in it. But I'll agree that while Alf 48 is a cuiriosity, it's not really a key.

As long as we're all in agreement that it doesn't belong, I'm not a stickler as to why

9 hours ago, Brock said:
9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah, this is pretty much my sentiment. :) Same with all the "bondage" covers. Batman #129 is a "bondage" cover...? Really...? ANY picture of ANYONE tied up is a "bondage" cover, with what that implies....? Ok, sure, books like Wonder Woman #205 are obvious innuendos...but even uber famous Brenda Starr #14 (#2) is a bondage cover...?Just because there's a woman handcuffed to a radiator in (admittedly) torn clothes...? It's a radiator. What's the sexiness of being handcuffed to a radiator...?

I think SOME of those innuendo covers were legit...maybe the "Beat Off" cover...but things like The Rifleman #10 and the like aren't actually innuendos. 

Fun, sure....but I don't think anyone took that picture....in 1958....and meant to imply what it implies. I'm no anthropologist, but I suspect comic book editors at Dell weren't familiar with slang for erections and the suggestive angle of the photo.

Could be wrong...could be...but I don't think I am.

Perverts. :D

On 12/25/2018 at 12:06 PM, Brock said:

On 12/15/2018 at 3:24 AM, waaaghboss said:

Transformers 1?  Gi Joe?  What world is this, the 1980s?!

Personally, i'm a fan of 2 indie books I don't see listed much.  I, Lusipher 1, and Cry for Dawn 1.

I’m surprised amazing spiderman 299 doesn’t get more love. It’s the first time we actually see venom drawn by McFarlane (298 you only see his hand) and I would argue this is venoms most famous panel ever drawn. 

D06DCBAE-6335-4E1F-92B1-366ABD8B53AE.png

Edited by jason4