• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 50 Copper Books in Overstreet
7 7

402 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Hard to take your word on McFarlane 

His recall is the same as mine.  It was the era of the hot artist, and McFarlane was the sine qua non of the trend.   Even B listers like Ron Lim and Larry Stroman got some love.

On 4/4/2019 at 11:36 PM, bababooey said:

I recall the Venom intro issue as being an ending of the long drawn out 'black costume' saga...however from the Tom Defalco Comic Creators on Spider-man interview with Todd McFarlane there's a question about issues 298-300 and Venom's creation/design that's followed up with "Did you anticipate the enormous response the readers had toward Venom?"   It's on page 148, I'm too lazy to post a pic of the page or type out the response but here's the cover of the book. 

My recollection of why these early issues were valuable always related to first McFarlane with both 298 & 300 rising together at the same time...I'm sure there was some initial buzz over the new Spidey villain who was introduced in an anniversary issue because he was basically a bigger stronger and ruthless Spider-man.  So I'd say six months after ASM 300 came out it had three things going for it in this order 1. McFarlane art (w/inks) 2. Anniversary issue 3. Venom full intro.  

Front Cover

I'm sure creators have the same problems we do remembering things accurately but here's the excerpt I mentioned, Tom DeFalco is conducting the interview.

20190407_133501.jpg

19 minutes ago, 500Club said:

His recall is the same as mine.  It was the era of the hot artist, and McFarlane was the sine qua non of the trend.   Even B listers like Ron Lim and Larry Stroman got some love.

He's just taking a cheap shot because he can get away with it. It's the agony of the eternally offended. :cloud9:

On 4/1/2019 at 5:42 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

So am I. Back in the late 80s/early 90s...pre-internet, remember...every store I went to on a regular basis....and that was every store in the San Francisco Bay Area...used the Update to price their books. Because there was no mechanism for collectors to sell to each other, they didn't have much choice but to pay those prices.  

FTFY

pre-web, comic collectors were on rec.arts.comics on Usenet.   Buying and selling on rec.arts.comics.marketplace. :preach:

Edited by Warlord

59 minutes ago, Warlord said:

FTFY

pre-web, comic collectors were on rec.art.comics on Usenet.   Buying and selling on rec.arts.comics.marketplace. :preach:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh....it's a stretch. Widespread internet didn't become a "thing" until 1994/1995. Prior, it was limited to schools and research facilities. 

Sure, there were people on Usenet...but how many? A couple hundred?

More importantly, which store would be using Usenet transactions to price their books?

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh....it's a stretch. Widespread internet didn't become a "thing" until 1994/1995. Prior, it was limited to schools and research facilities. 

Sure, there were people on Usenet...but how many? A couple hundred?

Interesting question.  I'd like to know how many people used Usenet.   But it was an internet.  Not a web, and not a widespread internet if you want to throw in that qualification.  But it was an avenue used by collectors buying/selling to other collectors.   For instance, the Valiant frenzy lit up racm!

I"m sure the Venn diagrams of fandom and usenet overlap a fair amount, bit only with a certain age group. I'd wager it didn't have a tremendous impact on the market, but I'm still curious. I didn't get on the newsgroups until we had decent internet at work until 97?  I confess it wasn't really something I gave much thought until ebay came around.  I imagine theres a whole pre-eBay and or pre-widespread internet aspect of fandom that's just been lost, with no real history to be be shared or researched unlike all the older fandom in print form. I mean who has copies of all the usenet posts from 1994? (shrug)

13 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I"m sure the Venn diagrams of fandom and usenet overlap a fair amount, bit only with a certain age group. I'd wager it didn't have a tremendous impact on the market, but I'm still curious. I didn't get on the newsgroups until we had decent internet at work until 97?  I confess it wasn't really something I gave much thought until ebay came around.  I imagine theres a whole pre-eBay and or pre-widespread internet aspect of fandom that's just been lost, with no real history to be be shared or researched unlike all the older fandom in print form. I mean who has copies of all the usenet posts from 1994? (shrug)

paging @drbanner

Just now, FlyingDonut said:

paging @drbanner

You rang?

Anyone wanna sell me some HG Neal Adams DC's? Dang I'm old! :preach:

I don't think I used RACM until '96, here's a good post from 1995 that discusses the status of the rec.arts.comics going back to 1990 - Welcome to rec.arts.comics: Introduction.

23 hours ago, Warlord said:

Interesting question.  I'd like to know how many people used Usenet.   But it was an internet.  Not a web, and not a widespread internet if you want to throw in that qualification.  But it was an avenue used by collectors buying/selling to other collectors.   For instance, the Valiant frenzy lit up racm!

No question. But the point was, it wasn't well known, it wasn't widely used, and there wasn't an avenue for an average collector (like me) to sell without the local comic shop middle man. All that would change with eBay a few years later. 

I was on rec.arts.comics in, I want to say 1994. I wish I'd known about it sooner. I remember a discussion about Gen 13 in early 1995....boy was I an idiot...where people were saying "there's 13 covers to the first issue!!"

I, not knowing that a new #1 had been solicited, promptly responded "no there's not! There's just a first and second print. You people crazy!"

Oops.

:blush:

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

10 hours ago, drbanner said:

You rang?

I don't think I used RACM until '96, here's a good post from 1995 that discusses the status of the rec.arts.comics going back to 1990 - Welcome to rec.arts.comics: Introduction.

😮 wow, I just read a large chunk of that intro- remember when the inter webs was The this shiny, gleaming tower on a hill full of promise, knowledge, and civility?  What were we thinking???? :screwy:

hey, @RockMyAmadeus did you see a rec arts group for Venom in there? No? Me nether. :nyah: You got Elfquest though. 

We should throw the internet away and start over again - we $&#@/! It all up. Text only, and posting a picture costs a dime. An actual dime, in a little coin slot on the side of the computer, and it only holds 50 dimes. When it’s full you gotta turn it in to the business center at the grocery store and get a new free dime picture meter cartridge. 

16 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

😮 wow, I just read a large chunk of that intro- remember when the inter webs was The this shiny, gleaming tower on a hill full of promise, knowledge, and civility?  What were we thinking???? :screwy:

hey, @RockMyAmadeus did you see a rec arts group for Venom in there? No? Me nether. :nyah: You got Elfquest though. 

We should throw the internet away and start over again - we $&#@/! It all up. Text only, and posting a picture costs a dime. An actual dime, in a little coin slot on the side of the computer, and it only holds 50 dimes. When it’s full you gotta turn it in to the business center at the grocery store and get a new free dime picture meter cartridge. 

Good gravy. Reading some of that gave me a headache. So much attempting to control behavior. Well meaning, well intended, and the road to somewhere is paved with those. Gross. 

However, this in particular caught my eye, among a few other things, and made me smile:

"September 
  Traditionally the time the net sees an influx of newbies as college
  freshlings get accounts. This is now distinguished as Actual September (the
  actual month of September) and Virtual September, which occurs when a pay
  service such as AOL or Compuserve causes a large number of newbies to gain
  access to Usenet. There is also the theory that Septemeber 1993 never ended,
  and the net is now in a state of Perpetual September."

...and, as would prove to be the case as this was being written, this turned out to be true. Sept, 1993 was also the very first time I was introduced to the internet, as a new minted college Froshmore (I'd already completed most of my GE requirements in JC.) It really distinguishes the time between when the net was primarily a tool for educational, bureaucratic, and military purposes, and became the vast wasteland cesspool garbage pit truly universal experience that changed mankind forever.

The net is now, indeed, in a state of Perpetual September.

17 hours ago, drbanner said:

You rang?

Hey now,   I sold many a comics on RACM back in the day.  This is how I met Dr. Banner. I sold books on there for many years until EBAY came along. I used to run really cool auctions.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:19 AM, Lazyboy said:

:screwy:

TMNT had a large impact on the comic industry before it became the huge multimedia franchise it is now. Plus, comics are still part of that franchise.

TMNT 1 is, by far, the biggest, most important CA book.

Of course it is, cant believe it's even being debated here.

I've found most of my 1988-1990 Overstreet Updates, and they are, as they always have been, a goldmine of information.

But scanning is a pain. Anyone wanna come over and do it?

By the way....in three years worth of Updates...#7, #8, #9 #10, #12, #14, #15...not a single mention of Venom.

Not. One.

McFarlane? Everywhere. Bats? The Cinderella story of 1989. Ghost Rider? Can't miss. 

No Venom. In any report.

Or even in the letter from @greggy that was printed in Update #15.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

By the way...wanna know what IS singled out by the 1991 Updates? Not broken out, but singled out? 

Amazing #312 - Hobgoblin appearance

Because, in 1991, Hobgoblin was the #1 Spidey villain. It was madness. ASM #238 was rivaling New Mutants #87 for hottest "modern" back issue. 

Venom had to wait a bit more....

Say whatever happened to the villain Cyber I think? He was a Wolverine Villian introduced in MCP I believe and had some sort of Adamantium arms or something and had a Zorro style mask. May have been a Sam Keith designed character - he came on pretty strong for awhile and seemed to disappear (shrug)