• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW - Set Expansion Requests - Existing Sets Only!

430 posts in this topic

Does Inside Image 1 have Spawn on the front cover?

No.

Does Inside Image 1 have any Spawn stories?

No.

Does Inside Image 1 come up in conversations about Spawn's first printed appearance?

No.

----------------------------------------

Does Malibu Sun 13 have Spawn on the front cover?

Yes. And the back.

Does Malibu Sun 13 have any Spawn stories?

No.

Does Malibu Sun 13 come up in conversations about Spawn's first printed appearance?

Yes. All the time.

So even though they are both solicitation/advertisement/news magazines, or whatever you want to call them, they do NOT share "similar qualifications" to be included in the set.

And you're right, the number of comics you have in the set shouldn't have any bearing on an issue's inclusion...

I just find it interesting that you're so determined to liter in someone else's backyard. If you desperately want points in the Spawn set, perhaps you should buy one of the other 400 issues that are already included there...instead of diluting the existing set with comics (or non-comics, in this case) that are a STRETCH.

At the end of the day, however, it's up to Gemma.

I'm fine with whatever decision she makes, because in the long-run one crappy book is not going to ruin me. But I definitely have strong feelings on this one.

Inside Image #1 does in fact have Spawn on the front cover. It's a flip book. Both covers are front covers.

This is not someone else's backyard. I also compete in this set so I am afforded the same voice as every other competitor, here, on this forum. You and I are playing on equal footing in the same backyard.

As far as the level of conversation being a qualifying factor, I find this arguement to be facetious. If a book is more obscure and not well known, does that automatically disqualify it for inclusion?

Besides, based on your responses I'd say the level of conversation surrounding this book is going up by the minute. Is it now somehow more qualified than when we began this conversation?

There is no conversation about this book, other than you and me. There has been quite a lot of conversation about Malibu 13...and it IS NOT ABOUT THE CONVERSATION. Don't try to change the argument. It's about the fact that Malibu Sun 13 is one of the very first appearances of the character in print. You can't say that about Inside Image.

At this point, I've said all there is to say.

We'll let Gemma decide. But hopefully some other Spawn collectors will speak up.

Shane and I probably agree on more than we disagree here. I think that this issue just speaks to the basic definition of this set.

If this set is intended to include books that contain Spawn stories, then I whole-heartedly agree that Inside Image #1 does not belong here, and as a late comer to this set I guess I simply did not know. If this definition of the set holds true, then I also agree with Shane when he states "I don't agree with Malibu Sun's inclusion either". Neither contain stories so neither should in the set.

If the definition of this set is merely "first true appearance" then there are 384 too many books in the set. The whole set should be either Malibu Sun #13 or Crusade of Comics #1 based on whichever side of that argument you fall.

If "solicitation magazines" qualify for the set, then a decision to exclude Inside Image #1 while including Malibu Sun #13 seems capricious at best.

If the this set is defined as Spawn appearances, either story, canon, or journalism, then I think Inside Image #1 belongs here as well as books like this:

wizard-press-spawn-wizard-special-edition-issue-1.jpg

As far as the significance of the book goes, Inside Image #1 is significant because it denotes the separation of Image from Malibu. The fact that Spawn was chosen as one of the properties to grace one of the two flip covers is significant.

Many thanks to Gemma for her immense patience with us insufferable nerds.

Agreed. Intrinsically, it's really a silly thing to get upset about.

But collectors are a passionate lot...especially when they have a lot of time and money into a set.

On the drive back from the office I thought of the following solution:

Let's just let the current Spawn set be a free-for-all. If it relates to Spawn at all, then let it rip.

I'd like to see another Spawn set created. How about a set covering the actual Spawn title itself? Issue 1 to the present...with all variants included.

This set could remain free from the various mini-series, one-shots, foreign editions, trade-paperbacks and other items. I think that would be the cleanest, sportiest thing to do.

In the end, I suppose there are already enough books that don't belong in that set. What's another one gonna harm?

And I do applaud you for providing reasons for the addition. I still think it's a stretch though. :)

Agreed. I was hesitant to suggest it, but the only clean solution is a 2nd set.

Set A: Spawn Free-for-all (existing)

Set B: Spawn Proper (new)

I think that this is the right thing to do for 2 reasons:

1. It appeases the person on the registry who has the most time/effort/money invested in this subject matter.

2. It also accomodates anyone who may feel passionate enough to grade something like this:

1107623_zps02277c3f.jpg

Hi Gemma,

Could you please add the following books to the corresponding sets?

Batman (2011)

Batman 39 Combo Pack Edition (5 in census)

Batman 49 (7 in census)

Batman 49 Variant Cover (43 in census)

Darth Vader (2015)

Darth Vader 6 Second Printing (2 in census)

Star Wars (2015)

Star Wars 13 Second Printing (2 in census)

Star Wars 14 Second Printing (2 in census)

Star Wars 16 (4 in census)

Star Wars 16 Action Figure Variant (7 in census)

Thank you!

Set: Stormwatch (1993)

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetTypeDetail.aspx?SetTypeID=1910

Books to add:

Title: Stormwatch Special #1

Sample Cert# 0276721008

And

Set: Deathblow (Image)

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetTypeDetail.aspx?SetTypeID=3935

Books to add:

Title: Darker Image #1

Sample Cert# 0276721010

Hey Gemma

Can you please add Spawn 254 (0267038006) and Spawn 256 (0270862015)

to the Spawn and Spawn complete sets please

Thanks,

NeXuS

I guess it's time to update them both again. :blush:

Here is the correct sequence up to the present:

259 Sketch Cover

Thank you Gemma,

- Shane

Hi Gemma,

First, thank you for creating all the new sets!

That said, could you please add the following books to the corresponding sets?

Mighty Thor (2016)

Mighty Thor 2 Second Printing (2 in census)

Spider-Gwen Vol. 2

Spider-Gwen 3 Variant Edition (6 in census)

Spider-Gwen 3 Second Printing (2 in census)

Spider-Gwen 4 Second Printing (4 in census)

Spider-Gwen 5 (3 in census)

Thank you!

The Lady Death Apocalypse set is missing a bunch, ironically the CGC Numbered Editions of issue 2 and 3, then all of the Art Deco books, the Kickstater variant of issue 1 and all of the 0 issues that are in the census. Can you add the missing ones please? Thanks!