• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I press Preacher #1?

60 posts in this topic

I've been wondering this for some time ~

Bearing in mind there's some wear on the spine section; what grade do you think I may achieve if I took this took to be pressed? What do you think? And whether or not I should get it pressed?

neib7s.jpg

suum20.jpg

All comments are welcomed!

I would, given the current price high grade slabbed copies of this book are bringing, if there is even the slightest issue pressing could help.

On any 9.0 or higher book in this price range where the slightest issue can make that .2 or more difference in grade... and resulting difference in selling price, pressing costs are worth it, assuming the book has some small defect pressing would help.

I find it difficult to see small waves or bends in books from scans as the scanner presses the book up against the glass scanning bed and the defects flatten out.

I think the dangling corner chip may keep it out of 9.8, no matter if it's pressed.

I agree. They seem to be tough on this book but a press could get you a bump from a 9.4 to a 9.6 which is well worth the press cost.

yeah, i had a couple non color breaking ticks on my #1 and the same corner. (Although slightly more noticeable then the scans you have) I pressed it and the ticks are gone but that damn corner nailed me w a 9.0

Of course there could be something I missed inside as well. No graders notes so not much I can do.

yeah, i had a couple non color breaking ticks on my #1 and the same corner. (Although slightly more noticeable then the scans you have) I pressed it and the ticks are gone but that damn corner nailed me w a 9.0

Of course there could be something I missed inside as well. No graders notes so not much I can do.

Doubt that corner alone dropped it down to a 9.0. Weird that a 9.0 would not have any associated notes.

Doubt that corner alone dropped it down to a 9.0. Weird that a 9.0 would not have any associated notes.

+1

At 9.0, you have graders notes.

If it was just the ticks and corner, and you pressed out the ticks, you must have given it a bad press.

I would, given the current price high grade slabbed copies of this book are bringing, if there is even the slightest issue pressing could help.

On any 9.0 or higher book in this price range where the slightest issue can make that .2 or more difference in grade... and resulting difference in selling price, pressing costs are worth it, assuming the book has some small defect pressing would help.

I find it difficult to see small waves or bends in books from scans as the scanner presses the book up against the glass scanning bed and the defects flatten out.

The copy pictured won't get a 9.8 but it will be in the NM range.No way to be any more specific without having a book in hand.

Virtually any copy of Preacher in raw 8.0 and up is worth fast tracked pressing.

Caveat being that one makes damn sure that the presser you go with does not just slap the book between foamboard and forego humidification and * thorough* dry cleaning is performed.

The copy pictured has condensation smear marks, on the FC, which can be dry cleaned.

On that note, the entire FC and BC of Preacher 1 benefits from kneading with Absorene putty.

If the book is properly humidified beforehand, any and all non color breaking bends and spine tics are removed.Cracking the press open after it has cooled down an hour and change does a book no favors either.

Choose a pressing service that opts to press books like a rapid fire assemly line and....non color breaking spine tics will turn into color breaking spine tics.....and non color breaking bends will either not press out entirely (depending on pronouncement/degree of impact) will pop right back into place, a couple weeks (or less) before the book gets graded/ slabbed.

The copy pictured won't get a 9.8 but it will be in the NM range.No way to be any more specific without having a book in hand.

Virtually any copy of Preacher in raw 8.0 and up is worth fast tracked pressing.

Caveat being that one makes damn sure that the presser you go with does not just slap the book between foamboard and forego humidification and * thorough* dry cleaning is performed.

The copy pictured has condensation smear marks, on the FC, which can be dry cleaned.

On that note, the entire FC and BC of Preacher 1 benefits from kneading with Absorene putty.

If the book is properly humidified beforehand, any and all non color breaking bends and spine tics are removed.Cracking the press open after it has cooled down an hour and change does a book no favors either.

Choose a pressing service that opts to press books like a rapid fire assemly line and....non color breaking spine tics will turn into color breaking spine tics.....and non color breaking bends will either not press out entirely (depending on pronouncement/degree of impact) will pop right back into place, a couple weeks (or less) before the book gets graded/ slabbed.

Doesnt need to be in there that long.

Entire process can be done in under 10 minutes after proper humidity.

I know joey has a lot of presses but if it took him more than an hour a book, he wouldnt get any books done.

+1

If it was just the ticks and corner, and you pressed out the ticks, you must have given it a bad press.

Alrighty you bunch of smarmy smarersons, where's my notes then?

:D

Screenshot%202015-12-04%2011.06.48.png

I know joey has a lot of presses but if it took him more than an hour a book, he wouldnt get any books done.

I agree with half this comment.

+1

call

which half? now im worried.

+1

call

he'd get at least 1 book done, the one that is there an hour.

+1

call

he'd get at least 1 book done, the one that is there an hour.

lol

a mathematical error