• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When they were hot...

117 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

Still looking?  I just pulled one out of the box (trying to liquidate my old collection of comics).  Mine's black with a white bldg though, not the one above

And to contribute re:the thread title, I remember when Shi was the hottest comic coming out.  No idea about now.

I bought 11 boxes of indie stuff last week, and there's a big chunk of Shi. I hope someone out there still cares!

On 4/26/2017 at 10:11 PM, SteppinRazor said:

Still looking?  I just pulled one out of the box (trying to liquidate my old collection of comics).  Mine's black with a white bldg though, not the one above.

That's the Second Printing of #319. Cool book.

On April 26, 2017 at 8:11 PM, SteppinRazor said:

Still looking?  I just pulled one out of the box (trying to liquidate my old collection of comics).  Mine's black with a white bldg though, not the one above

And to contribute re:the thread title, I remember when Shi was the hottest comic coming out.  No idea about now.

On April 29, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

That's the Second Printing of #319. Cool book.

Yeah second print, didn't realize there was one.  

I think I like the dark cover more  :grin:

On 11/13/2015 at 11:19 AM, valiantman said:

A resurgence in interest generally occurs around the time something (or some fad) which was once popular becomes 25 years old.

With the caveat that this demographic trend only occurs in kid fads/hobbies, and for comics, it was pretty well dead by the 90's when adults took over for good.

After all, no 25-35+ year old buying comics today is going suddenly pine away for these comics (especially since his mother never threw them out) when they're 50-60 years old. :roflmao:

13 hours ago, joe_collector said:

With the caveat that this demographic trend only occurs in kid fads/hobbies, and for comics, it was pretty well dead by the 90's when adults took over for good.

After all, no 25-35+ year old buying comics today is going suddenly pine away for these comics (especially since his mother never threw them out) when they're 50-60 years old. :roflmao:

"pretty well dead by the 90's" is a little vague.  If you mean than there aren't 40 year olds spending tens of thousands of dollars on Valiant books today... think again.  Not individual books (the top is about $3,000 right now), but hundreds of $100+ books is a regular occurrence.

Edited by valiantman

28 minutes ago, valiantman said:

"pretty well dead by the 90's" is a little vague.

I'd say the adult shift ramped up around 1989-90, and the "rule of 25" was pretty well dead by 1994.

1 hour ago, joe_collector said:

I'd say the adult shift ramped up around 1989-90, and the "rule of 25" was pretty well dead by 1994.

That's possible, if you mean the "rule of 25" ends with kids who were reading 1994 comics... the shift is likely from "kids who remember sports cards and comics" to "kids who remember sports cards, comics, action figures, and video games".

The specific order of the introduction of sports card grading, comic grading, action figure grading, and video game grading isn't a coincidence.

Coin grading already existed, but I think we can generally agree there isn't a generation of "1990s kids" who spent their free time playing with coins.

I was not yet an adult in 1994, and my "rule of 25" nostalgia was for early 1980s video games (specifically Atari 2600), mid-1980s sports cards (1984 Donruss was my grail since I started with 1988 Donruss), and pre-1993 (pre-Unity) Valiant comics (since I started post-Unity).

In every case, though, I'm mostly interested in obtaining what I wanted-but-couldn't-get when I was a kid.  It was my "kid grails" that became my "adult grails".  Anything easy to get when I was a kid still isn't that important to me now.  I don't want what I used to have, I want what I used to want.

Edited by valiantman

25 minutes ago, valiantman said:

In every case, though, I'm mostly interested in obtaining what I wanted-but-couldn't-get when I was a kid.  It was my "kid grails" that became my "adult grails".  Anything easy to get when I was a kid still isn't that important to me now.  I don't want what I used to have, I want what I used to want.

Exactly, and that ended a long time ago when adults took over. If kids aren't in the comic stores and  current "hot key issues" have a half-life of a few weeks, how does your scenario make sense in terms of mass market appeal going forward? A LOT has changed since you were a kid, and I believe that at some level, nostalgia and (using your words) "buying what you used to want" are virtually dead in our ultra-disposal, ADHD digital world.

Edited by joe_collector

Just now, joe_collector said:

Exactly, and that ended a long time ago when adults took over. If kids aren't in the comic stores and  current "hot key issues" have a half-life of a few weeks, how does your scenario make sense? A LOT has changed since you were a kid.

I'm definitely agreeing with you today, but I remember when I started on this message board in 2002 you were pretty confident that adults had taken over by the time of Valiant and Image and there wasn't much printed after about X-Men #137 (or somewhere in that range) that was worth keeping.  I tried to tell you that Valiant was my favorite "when I was still a kid" so I wasn't just some dealer trying to dump overstock by hyping the company.

In the 15 years since, I have gone from my 20s to my 40s and it hasn't changed.  I still don't want most Valiant books, but there are certain early 1990s issues that still make me giddy in my 40s.

9 hours ago, valiantman said:

I'm definitely agreeing with you today, but I remember when I started on this message board in 2002 you were pretty confident that adults had taken over by the time of Valiant and Image and there wasn't much printed after about X-Men #137 (or somewhere in that range) that was worth keeping.  I tried to tell you that Valiant was my favorite "when I was still a kid" so I wasn't just some dealer trying to dump overstock by hyping the company.

In the 15 years since, I have gone from my 20s to my 40s and it hasn't changed.  I still don't want most Valiant books, but there are certain early 1990s issues that still make me giddy in my 40s.

I *was* an adult (just barely) in the early '90s, and I still cherish my Valiant books (and thank two of my friends, who were employees at my first regular comic shop, for suggesting that I buy them. It took me until not long before the new line launched to finally nab a Harbinger #0 Pink. 

On 5/12/2017 at 8:54 AM, valiantman said:

That's possible, if you mean the "rule of 25" ends with kids who were reading 1994 comics... the shift is likely from "kids who remember sports cards and comics" to "kids who remember sports cards, comics, action figures, and video games".

The specific order of the introduction of sports card grading, comic grading, action figure grading, and video game grading isn't a coincidence.

Coin grading already existed, but I think we can generally agree there isn't a generation of "1990s kids" who spent their free time playing with coins.

I was not yet an adult in 1994, and my "rule of 25" nostalgia was for early 1980s video games (specifically Atari 2600), mid-1980s sports cards (1984 Donruss was my grail since I started with 1988 Donruss), and pre-1993 (pre-Unity) Valiant comics (since I started post-Unity).

Its an interesting discussion and distinction for sure.    I'm in the same boat; mostly want now what I wanted then, a few exceptions aside.

I have very little interest in getting things that I wanted as a child. As a teen a co-worker had every Marvel from 1963 on, so knowing that made me want the mega-keys at the time (Avengers 4 was the top one on that list, but not now) but I now want other things even more. The things I want now I did not even know existed then.

Edited by Bird

17 hours ago, Bird said:

I have very little interest in getting things that I wanted as a child. As a teen a co-worker had every Marvel from 1963 on, so knowing that made me want the mega-keys at the time (Avengers 4 was the top one on that list, but not now) but I now want other things even more. The things I want now I did not even know existed then.

I guess I'm partly in that boat as well.    I suppose I'm more 50/50 when I stop and think about it.

As a kid, I wanted all the SA marvels and all the key GA and atomic books/runs.    I would have had trouble imagining anything beyond that.    

I'm still interested in all that, but I'd never spend the money on it.   

So.. personally, I still want now what I wanted then, but its been trumped by other interests along the way.