• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When they were hot...

117 posts in this topic

A recent pick up. Don't buy too many Copper Age books. Althought not an independent, this title was super hot when it first came out. Astounded I was able to pick up VF/NM issues #1-10 for .50 cents each this past weekend.

Was there a warehouse find or something with this book back in the late '80s or '90s that I don't know about?

159099.jpg

In my experience it is a common enough title to find and not many collectors care about. I think there is some good stuff in the series but nothing really major happens in any of the issues which is why the title has faded.

A recent pick up. Don't buy too many Copper Age books. Althought not an independent, this title was super hot when it first came out. Astounded I was able to pick up VF/NM issues #1-10 for .50 cents each this past weekend.

Was there a warehouse find or something with this book back in the late '80s or '90s that I don't know about?

159099.jpg

I picked up the first few issues for the Golden covers.

159099.jpg

In my experience it is a common enough title to find and not many collectors care about. I think there is some good stuff in the series but nothing really major happens in any of the issues which is why the title has faded.

Good, solid stories, and good to great art were this series hallmark. The George Perez Black Widow run... The David Mazzucchelli Angel story... P. Craig Russell's Brothers Three stories... John Byrne's all splash-page Hulk story. This series is full of highlights for the READING collector, but nothing of interest for the speculator, the "first" chasers or the continuity buffs.

159099.jpg

Good, solid stories, and good to great art were this series hallmark. The George Perez Black Widow run... The David Mazzucchelli Angel story... P. Craig Russell's Brothers Three stories... John Byrne's all splash-page Hulk story. This series is full of highlights for the READING collector, but nothing of interest for the speculator, the "first" chasers or the continuity buffs.

Exactly. Also, if I recall, several of the issues contained stories that were written and drawn as fillers if a title's creators ever fell behind. So, rather than have this completed work sit in a drawer and go to waste, they were published in this series.

I do think there was some strong stuff in this series. Maybe someday, collectors will be interested in good stories again and these issues will get their due.

Edited by rjrjr

159099.jpg

:cloud9:

I have kept my OO Marvel Fanfare #1-4 over the years due to the love of the story and artwork. It was that good.

:whee:

Those first four issues have had multiple TPB editions- and the Perez BW among others have been reprinted in other TPBs- so nothing in the Fanfare run has ever really been worth anything. No first appearances in the fanfare run, just a collection of fill-in issues for the most part and one-offs that this or that artist or writer wanted to pursue. Not sure about the size of print runs- this title was among the first DM titles on baxter paper that Marvel put out.

I remember reading that this series was originally creating so top talent that didn't work on the monthly title of a character could have a showcase for a story on a character they had a story idea for. But it later became a dumping ground for inventory stories (The "fillers" mentioned previously) that outlived their usefulness.

nice art and stories. never really "hot", but i guess #1 was a $5 book when that meant something and i guess nowadays it usually sells for $5-$10 and the rest tend to sell for $1-$3 on ebay.

at 50 cents you cannot go wrong.

159099.jpg

:cloud9:

I have kept my OO Marvel Fanfare #1-4 over the years due to the love of the story and artwork. It was that good.

:whee:

Likewise.

It was a shame that Golden didn't do the entire story. Paul Smith's work was strong too, especially for a then-new talent. The BWS Thing story was another highlight.

The Michael Golden Spider-Man/Hulk story from around issue #48 is also a great one.

There was a Miller Captain America story in there, a terrific Mazzuchelli Angel story, Simonson/Gibbons Dr. Strange, and a whole lot more. The Byrne all-splash Hulk story was great.

There were also plenty of duds. And the publishing schedule after the first 30-odd issues was a bit wonky.

Those are all great buys! I use to buy Nexus 1-3 (mag) and Xenozoic Tales but stopped after I got my fill a few years ago. I suspect many of these titles will have their day yet!

Now would be a great time for a Xenozoic Tales movie. Just think if Schultz was handed a nice big cash flow maybe he would be able to continue the series on his own. I've always wanted to see how Tenric and Hannah's story carried on. Lots of choices as to who could play their parts in a movie.

Edited by fett

159099.jpg

Also, the paper quality is too high. Fails to degrade. Therefore plentiful in high grade.

Yup. These will come back big time in due time.. Probably after movie hyping will end and collectors seek the next big thrill..

I search alot at conventions/flea markets and 80s indie keys are hard to come by on both fronts..but they are very affordable on the Bay still which is why I keep scooping them every time I see them there for a few bucks.. Here are some of my recent purchases:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321916138361?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272012616487?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151794484209?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272010225534?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171965453310?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161853688870?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321915856862?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I believe these are generally the types of books that Chuck tries to pick up for a dime each (if that) in his travels around the country. :)