• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When they were hot...

117 posts in this topic

I loved the early Elementals....downside of creator-owned...Creator runs out of steam for concept, concept runs out of steam....

But willingham nailed it off the bat.

Elementals was AMAZING.

Used to look forward to reading this one, also Matt Wagner's Mage and Grendel, all from Comico.

Willingham's still an excellent writer, try Fables.

On 1/26/2017 at 3:55 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Man, this cover is extremely underrated. Love this one...

f5f0a206e177fc10bf0ee317e2ab7d24.jpg

Yes, that's a great cover.  Collectors don't care about great art and nifty stories.  I don't think there are any first appearances in there, so nobody cares.  Plus, they printed a lot of them.  They were always in my LCS 25 cent box not long after coming out.  

Nothing about warehouses..there was plenty of speculation and overordering in the 80s too.  You don't need a warehouse find for 80s books to be cheap.

On 3/7/2017 at 0:51 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Didnt know where to put this pic, but I thought this thread's topic seemed about right.. So can anyone tell me who these 2 stud muffins are?

srmb.thumb.jpg.f597c8b671092c649430df5aecc9d43b.jpg

Steve Rude and Mike Baron. 

I remember back in the early-mid 1980s, I was at the San Diego Comic-Con and I was at Steve Rude's table getting a sketch. I had him sign my copy of Nexus #1 Black & White and I had asked if he knew where Mike Baron was (I didn't know what he looked like at the time). He said he was wandering around so I went back to watching him draw my sketch. Suddenly someone came up and started talking to Steve and sounding like he was a pro instead of a fan. I looked at his badge and saw the name Mike ( no last name). I assumed it must be Mike Baron and asked him to sign my Nexus #1. He looked at me kinda funny and asked "are you sure you want me to sign this? I'm not Mike Baron, I'm Mike Royer". Needless to say I was a little embarrassed. 

To finish this story, Mike Baron did eventually show up. When he did he was very excited and geeking out. He had just run into David Carradine, who was walking around the dealers room, and was obviously a big fan.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, the blob said:
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Man, this cover is extremely underrated. Love this one...

f5f0a206e177fc10bf0ee317e2ab7d24.jpg

Yes, that's a great cover.  Collectors don't care about great art and nifty stories.  I don't think there are any first appearances in there, so nobody cares.  Plus, they printed a lot of them.  They were always in my LCS 25 cent box not long after coming out.  

Nothing about warehouses..there was plenty of speculation and overordering in the 80s too.  You don't need a warehouse find for 80s books to be cheap.

Around the first 10-15 issues were fantastic. That Perez Black Widow cover is still one of my favorites.

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Around the first 10-15 issues were fantastic. That Perez Black Widow cover is still one of my favorites.

the colors popped on those covers unlike what we had seen before..i think nicer than prior baxter or whatever covers

MF had fantastic talent. This is at the time before Liefeld, McFaden and the likes ruined comic art. Perez, Byrne, Ken Stacey, starlin, Mignola, Miller, Golden and some really really early Art Adams cover and interior art. I was very excited for every issue when they came out. 

I always love looking at the late 80s / early 90s ads for East Coast or American Comics and see what was hot at the time. I've finally gotten my collection down to Florida and am going through all those awesome indies I used to collect. Eternity, Aircel, Comico, Pacific, Silver Wolf, Adventure, Innovation, Caliber, First, London Night, etc. I'm finally putting together the list of missing issues I need. Funny thing is that I can buy most of this stuff cheaper now than I could 25-30 years ago. So now I'm going to work on filling in those holes. 

I saw the Adventurers in the initial post. About 1 1/2 years ago, I found the limited edition #1 in either a 50 cent or dollar box and grabbed it. I already had a copy from way back when, but couldn't pass it up at that price. I think some of this stuff will be sought after in the future. Maybe not for tons of money, but more for nostalgia. I loved the indies and collected many obscure titles. When I owned my store in the mid-1990s, I used to support many of the little guys as much as I could. I still have a decent inventory of weird stuff, though maybe not more than a copy or two.

I got on the Turtles bandwagon a year late. I did luck out at a flea market about 4 years ago picking up a 2nd print #2 and 1st print 3-5 for $5 each. I have a 5th print #1. Other than that I own pretty much everything else except the Raphael I think. Still going through everything.

I loved Tim Vigil. In fact for some reason I seem to keep coming across duplicate copies of Grips issues. Eventually I'll pick up some of the other Vigil items I never came across.

There were some great reads back then. And yes, I agree with Blob that you won't see much activity with this stuff because they aren't 1st appearances of popular characters who will show up in tv and movies. I'm glad there are still people like us out there that appreciate these fine works.

Edited by Philflound

On 3/10/2017 at 0:19 AM, Comicdave1962 said:

Steve Rude and Mike Baron. 

I remember back in the early-mid 1980s, I was at the San Diego Comic-Con and I was at Steve Rude's table getting a sketch. I had him sign my copy of Nexus #1 Black & White and I had asked if he knew where Mike Baron was (I didn't know what he looked like at the time). He said he was wandering around so I went back to watching him draw my sketch. Suddenly someone came up and started talking to Steve and sounding like he was a pro instead of a fan. I looked at his badge and saw the name Mike ( no last name). I assumed it must be Mike Baron and asked him to sign my Nexus #1. He looked at me kinda funny and asked "are you sure you want me to sign this? I'm not Mike Baron, I'm Mike Royer". Needless to say I was a little embarrassed. 

To finish this story, Mike Baron did eventually show up. When he did he was very excited and geeking out. He had just run into David Carradine, who was walking around the dealers room, and was obviously a big fan.

Nice story.  I didn't recognize either of those guys.

Here's one:

Daredevil #321 (1993) Marvel Comics

Glow in the dark cover seemed so cool, the story was pretty good, the art was "different"...I don't know if it ever went for more than $5-$10, but that was money back then.  This is actually one of the first 50 or so comics I bought when I was getting back into collecting in 1993..a guy was selling comics on the street and I picked up the maximum carnage set, some x-men, a bunch of image books, this guy and a few others for $20.  Seemed like a deal at the time.

I'm only putting it here because one of my shops had a ton of them in the cheap-o boxes -- they just got in a bunch of longies of bad 90's drek -- my gut instinct was to grab every single one of them, but then I calmed down...I see they sometimes sell for $4-$5, but just as often $2 or less.  Probably not a good long term investment I guess.

There were also a bunch of pristine Sleepwalker 25s in there.  Thoie foil covers are spine tick magnets, but these looked clean.  Figured that should be worth more, but it's also a book that sells for $2-$5, tops.

So, if I am going to buy a stack of one of these as one of my "maybe these will make a comeback," which one?  I guess Sleepwalker 25 was never hot, but it's one of those books that could see demand based on condition issues if the character ever comes back.

Edited by the blob

Daredevil was one of the hottest non-Image titles going at that time.  The prologue to Fall from Grace a couple issues earlier was the hot book in the run.  I always missed it, and still haven't found one to complete the story.  Smart stories and cool art (thumbsu

On 3/18/2017 at 5:15 PM, skrank! said:

Daredevil was one of the hottest non-Image titles going at that time.  The prologue to Fall from Grace a couple issues earlier was the hot book in the run.  I always missed it, and still haven't found one to complete the story.  Smart stories and cool art (thumbsu

like i said, i remember when that issue was "hot," so my gut is to grab all 15 of them... but nobody else cares about it

Anyone know if Conan Classics #2 (1994) with the Kayanan error cover instead of the re-colored BW Smith cover was ever worth anything? Perhaps overlooked as it reprinted BWS Conan #2, and Conan does not wear a cape.

38 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Anyone know if Conan Classics #2 (1994) with the Kayanan error cover instead of the re-colored BW Smith cover was ever worth anything? Perhaps overlooked as it reprinted BWS Conan #2, and Conan does not wear a cape.

I had a copy or two of this issue and don't recall it ever being worth anything.

On 3/14/2017 at 10:37 PM, Murphman13 said:

I loved this simple yet fantastic story.

IMG_2835.JPG

Such a fun story in that one. My favorite Fanfare issues are 1-4, 15, 18, 29, 43, 45, 47, and 51.

So much great stuff to explore in that series. But a lot of mediocre stuff as well. One complaint would be too much Ken Steacy art, which I never cared for and focus on some characters (such as Sky Wolf. Sky Wolf???, Weirdworld, , Power Pack, Shanna, four issues on Shanna? Really?, and others) I never got into.  

On 15/03/2017 at 2:37 AM, Murphman13 said:

I loved this simple yet fantastic story.

IMG_2835.JPG

Really excellent BWS art in this one.