• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When they were hot...

117 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Brock said:

I wish BWS was drawing comics again.

Does anyone know what's up with him these days?

BWS Studio is an active operation with at least 2 assistants last I knew. A collector on CAF gets pieces every so often from Storyteller that are "enhanced" meaning BWS has inked them a little more since publication. So he puts the pen in hand and produces beautiful work still. I think there are some artists who feel like they no longer belong; I get the impression BWS was disheartened from the death of BWS: Storyteller and it seems like there is no market for him to do what he does so well.

It's a shame... BWS: Storyteller is probably one of my favourite series of all time. IIRC, though, it basically launched into the market crash, and while I'm a fan of the treasury format, many weren't/aren't.

i've got to think, though, that if BWS launched a reasonably solid title through Image today, it could do alright.

Regardless, does the BWS Studio do other work, even outside of comics? I'm not aware of anything since the Opus books.

12 hours ago, Brock said:

It's a shame... BWS: Storyteller is probably one of my favourite series of all time. IIRC, though, it basically launched into the market crash, and while I'm a fan of the treasury format, many weren't/aren't.

i've got to think, though, that if BWS launched a reasonably solid title through Image today, it could do alright.

Regardless, does the BWS Studio do other work, even outside of comics? I'm not aware of anything since the Opus books.

Storyteller was a may zing.

Yes, Storyteller was the real deal. :luhv:  Since youze guyz seem to be appreciative...(showing off now)

C7xul-wWkAAQISv.jpg

I have considered buying a Paradoxman page to complete the trifecta but have never done so.

And I got this two or so years ago as well...since the Fanfare is featured here I'll show it off. (BTW, there s a guy on CAF with about 50 BWS pages, go check him out)

0204150636442x3ttZBluk.jpg

Those are awesome!

Storyteller was one of my favourite series of all time - I especially liked Freebooters. I really wish we had more of it to go back and enjoy...

i always felt it was an unfortunate confluence of the early 1990s market collapse and the treasury format that did the series in... i love treasuries, and they were prefect for BWS' art, but a lot of collectors are averse to anything not in the standard floppy format.

i've got to think, though, that a new BWS series from someone like Image would do pretty well... that may be wishful thinking on my part, though.

Great BWS originals there.

I only have the two later hardcover reprints of the Storyteller material, which collect together individually the Young Gods and Freebooters storylines.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/25/2017 at 1:57 PM, Bird said:
Spoiler

Yes, Storyteller was the real deal. :luhv:  Since youze guyz seem to be appreciative...(showing off now)

C7xul-wWkAAQISv.jpg

I have considered buying a Paradoxman page to complete the trifecta but have never done so.

And I got this two or so years ago as well...since the Fanfare is featured here I'll show it off. (BTW, there s a guy on CAF with about 50 BWS pages, go check him out)

0204150636442x3ttZBluk.jpg

Love it!

On March 20, 2017 at 0:46 PM, the blob said:

like i said, i remember when that issue was "hot," so my gut is to grab all 15 of them... but nobody else cares about it

This was Dan Chichester; one of the nicest guys I ever met. Wonder what's become of him? I interviewed him when this was new material, or just before it came out, for Overstreet's Comic Book Monthly (the later comic-sized version of Gary Carter's awesome magazine). 

On 3/18/2017 at 5:15 PM, skrank! said:

Daredevil was one of the hottest non-Image titles going at that time.  The prologue to Fall from Grace a couple issues earlier was the hot book in the run.  I always missed it, and still haven't found one to complete the story.  Smart stories and cool art (thumbsu

That Fall From Grace prologue issue (Daredevil # 319) was and is a legitimate key.

Because it features the return of Elektra.

Miller was so pissed that he actually issued a statement disavowing it and saying that (his) Elektra was (still) dead.

But the storyline that ran from Daredevil 319-325 led to Elektra's being heavily featured in the "Man Without Fear" mini-series (which was a retelling of their first meeting & romance).

Which led to a few Elektra solo titles, and eventually to her being used properly in Daredevil vol. 2 and the Netflix series.

I also don't recall the precise chronology, but Superman came back to life in spring of that year, and Elektra later that summer -- I think it was the combination of these two events (DC, then Marvel) that led Valiant to adopt the catchphrase "Valiant - Where dead is dead."

On April 19, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Gatsby77 said:

That Fall From Grace prologue issue (Daredevil # 319) was and is a legitimate key.

Miller was so pissed that he actually issued a statement disavowing it and saying that (his) Elektra was (still) dead.

But the storyline that ran from Daredevil 319-325 led to Elektra's being heavily featured in the "Man Without Fear" mini-series (which was a retelling of their first meeting & romance).

Which led to a few Elektra solo titles, and eventually to her being used properly in Daredevil vol. 2 and the Netflix series.

I also don't recall the precise chronology, but Superman came back to life in spring of that year, and Elektra later that summer -- I think it was the combination of these two events (DC, then Marvel) that led Valiant to adopt the catchphrase "Valiant - Where dead is dead."

Interesting background on Elektra.  I loved the MWOF series.  Romita Jr at his best.

Pulled these two out of a dollar box a couple weeks back so I now have some reading to do. :headbang:

IMG_9778.JPG

On 2017-04-19 at 4:15 PM, Gatsby77 said:

??? She was resurrected in Daredevil 190, written by Miller! She hadn't been used since then (other than flashbacks), but she was alive.

On 2017-04-19 at 4:15 PM, Gatsby77 said:

How does that work? DD 321 (Fall from Grace part 2) and Man Without Fear 1 came out in the same month.

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

??? She was resurrected in Daredevil 190, written by Miller! She hadn't been used since then (other than flashbacks), but she was alive.

How does that work? DD 321 (Fall from Grace part 2) and Man Without Fear 1 came out in the same month.

I noted that Daredevil 319 marketd the "return of Elektra." Miller did indeed resurrect her in DD 190, but included a narrative note in that issue that she and Matt "would never meet again" and received promises from Marvel at the time to abide by that.

And she hadn't been seen/used in continuity for a decade before her surprise appearance in DD 319.

Miller was pissed because Marvel went against his express wishes with the storyline. 

And Man Without Fear was planned prior to Fall From Grace but again - wasn't in continuity -- it was a limited series retelling of Matt & Elektra's first meeting and adventures. Was overseen by the same editors (Ralph Macchio and Tom DeFalco) but had zero bearing on Marvel continuity at the time.

What the two storylines _did_ do, however, was bring Elektra back in the public eye, reestablishing her as a major current character.

On 11/13/2015 at 10:29 PM, valiantman said:

I just read online where this book is heating up. :banana:

0066297021_1200.jpg

Hey. I just got my copy graded out at a 9.2, at it literally looks exactly the same as yours. You even have that little bindery tear on the bottom spine corner.

I had the original Perez Black Widow Marvel Fanfare run, and just bought up a second set cheap. I recommend picking them up if you can. Rumors abound that if they do a solo Black widow movie, that classic Perez story might be the backbone of it. I would also point out that there was a lot of "collaboration" going on as far as art and story. 

On 23/04/2017 at 1:49 PM, Bird said:

Fall From Grace led me to drop the title at the time. I hated McDaniels aping of Miller's style and don't think I got past one or two issues.

I wasn't keen on it either. I found it disappointingly unreadable, especially given the way it was hyped at the time.

On 3/18/2017 at 4:15 PM, skrank said:

Daredevil was one of the hottest non-Image titles going at that time.  The prologue to Fall from Grace a couple issues earlier was the hot book in the run.  I always missed it, and still haven't found one to complete the story.  Smart stories and cool art (thumbsu

Still looking?  I just pulled one out of the box (trying to liquidate my old collection of comics).  Mine's black with a white bldg though, not the one above

And to contribute re:the thread title, I remember when Shi was the hottest comic coming out.  No idea about now.

Edited by SteppinRazor