• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

Did Shazam Secretly Appear In 'Justice League'?

shazam-justice-league-1059430-1280x720.j

Spoiler

Justice League opens with a unique sighting of Clark Kent/Superman (Henry Cavill), as he is being interviewed by a kid for his podcast. We never see the child who is interviewing Superman, as the scene is shot in first person on a cell phone camera. But some have already begun to wonder - could that kid be Billy Batson/Shazam?

As many DC fans already know, Shazam! is set to hit the big screen in 2019, with Zachary Levi and Asher Angel playing the dual roles of Billy. Granted, Shazam! is too early in production to assume that the Justice League scene is a direct reference -- but it could be.

In the comics, Billy is pretty intricately tied to the world of radio, with his first comic appearance establishing his job as radio reporter.

NOW that scene would make even more sense. Though I thought it was an interesting way to start the movie.

14 minutes ago, bane said:

Iron man 2's only redeeming feature is the introduction of Black Widow, the rest of the film is totally forgettable.

In addition to Black Widow, Iron Man 2 had Sam Rockwell and that drunken fight between Tony and Rhodey. It's got a rewatchability factor for me that the Thor movies lack.

Fun fact: Shane Black was cast in Predator primarily because the producers wanted him to polish the -script. He declined because a) he liked the -script as written and b) because he wanted to establish himself as an actor.

So instead, they changed the -script to kill him off first.

Jason Momoa Confirms Man of Steel/Aquaman Fan Theory

Man-of-Steel-Aquaman.jpg?q=50&w=1000&h=5

Aquaman did have a part to play in Man of Steel after all, thanks to Jason Momoa confirming a piece of off-screen canon. Zack Snyder kicked off what has now become the DC movie universe back in 2013 with a relaunch of Superman.

In the early portions of Man of Steel, Clark ditches his job on the sea to save the workers on a burning oil rig. He successfully saves all of them, but must hold up one crucial beam to make it possible. Even with all of his super strength, the rig collapses beneath him and leaves Clark sinking in the middle of the ocean. Lucky for him, a group of whales just happen to be in the area, giving rise to fan theories that they helped bring him to safety at Aquaman’s command. During an interview with DC All Access, Momoa confirmed that Aquaman played a role in rescuing Superman – just maybe not exactly the way fans have speculated:

"In Man of Steel when Henry’s on the oil rig, he’s holding that up and then all of a sudden you see him up on the ocean, kind of floats up on the ocean. [Zack]’s like, 'I had [Aquaman] save him so that they’d get to cross paths at one point' so when Bruce goes, ‘You ever heard of Superman?’, I have and we have crossed paths."

Man-of-Steel-Clark-underwater.jpg?q=50&w

Just got done with an early bird showing that was completely sold out.  I have to admit I really liked it.  Some laugh out loud moments and it seemed to flow well.  I was expecting to dislike Aquaman and Flash and they were fine and I even liked Aquaman at the end.  I'd put it right up there with Thor (a little less fun but close) and I'd definitely see it again.  Expected D+ and got a strong B in my book.  Well done DC.

The total gross may be projected down also due to the first weekend of the movie 'Wonder', which we just saw with our teenage daughter in a theater 80% full for a 10:30am showing.  

The book is hugely popular and the movie was also quite good (if a bit too much treacle), so there will be real competition for 'JL' this weekend for family audiences.

Hope to catch 'JL' next week before the holiday hits!

Dan

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Quite a few of the sites are noting $93M+ as the goal now. That is a darn shame if it lands there.

To soon to see how today goes and we have Sunday movie sales to total , I can't see how they pin down attendance until people fill the seats :insane:

4 minutes ago, Drummy said:

The total gross may be projected down also due to the first weekend of the movie 'Wonder', which we just saw with our teenage daughter in a theater 80% full for a 10:30am showing.  

The book is hugely popular and the movie was also quite good (if a bit too much treacle), so there will be real competition for 'JL' this weekend for family audiences.

Dan

THIS makes a lot of sense.

3 minutes ago, comicjack said:

To soon to see how today goes and we have Sunday movie sales to total , I can't see how they pin down attendance until people fill the seats :insane:

lol

It is interesting how they try and use history to nail this 100%, but then surprises come along.

20 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Box Office Mojo has now revised its opening weekend estimate to $93-$95 million, down from $118 million on Thursday.

Ouch.

Man of Steel I think did 118 million opening in 2013. Like I suggested before when I originally said 600 million world wide was my thinking was streaming as why these movies won't get the big bank anymore.It really changed the game.

19 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Dan

And next weekend it will have Pixar's Coco to deal with.

9 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Umm...experience.

$93 million presumes roughly 20% drops from Friday to Saturday (including Thursday night previews), and again from Saturday to Sunday.

Even that might be generous.

• BvS dropped 38% then 33%
  • Suicide Squad dropped 40%, then 22%
  • By comparison, Wonder Woman dropped just 8%, then `16%.
  • The Dark Knight dropped just 29%, then 8.5%.

If it plays like Wonder Woman, Justice League banks $105 million for the weekend.

If it plays like Suicide Squad, it banks just over $80 million for the weekend.

Hedge your bets and take the average between the two, and you come out to $93 million.

I give it a solid B. I think once the action starts it’s pretty damn fun. I see the critique of how did we get here etc and I suspect a longer cut film might have helped but regardless of this the chemistry is there, the action is there and I didn’t think the villain was anything less than what I’ve seen in any other comic book movie. 

The Flash stole the show for me. I also loved the end credits and I think DC is a better place. 

24 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Man of Steel I think did 118 million opening in 2013. Like I suggested before when I originally said 600 million world wide was my thinking was streaming as why these movies won't get the big bank anymore.It really changed the game.

game-over-man-game-over.jpg

:baiting:

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Also I’ve never really liked Cavill but I have to admit that opening was pretty nice and by the end I remembered why I liked Superman 

After seeing, where would you put this compared to the recent run of DC films? Above, even or below BvS UC?

Another combination has Justice League holding far better than BvS or Suicide Squad.

Let's say it drops just 25% today and 10% tomorrow.

Still gets you to just $94 million.

Playing out like The Dark Knight (-29%, -8.5%) gets you to just $91.5 million

We'll know far more by this time tomorrow, and again when the final Sunday tallies come through Tuesday.