• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Nitpicks
The CGI with Aquaman at the beginning was terrible and so was the corn scene later with Superman. I would have liked more with Mera, but I did like her scenes. 

I bet this is going to be some of the common nitpicks.

Compared to the trailer scene with Clark in the field, what ended up in the movie was a little distracting. But I still loved the Lois-Clark interaction, and Ma Kent.

8 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I hope there’s a directors cut and/or extended cut of this movie 

You know there has to be one on the extended cut. But with the director’s cut, that will be interesting if they release it.

There is already a petition to release it from fans, though.

:wishluck:

5 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I loved

Reveal hidden contents

When Superman asks Batman, “do you bleed?”

I went, "Whoa!" out loud.  I also liked that they showed the consequence of

Superman throwing him into the police car. That bruise was NASTY.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

THAT was one heck of a scene. Someone in my audience yelled “Oh sheet” and people started laughing.

:applause:

I loved the line in the last movie so for me it was a message to those who enjoyed that phrase then if you catch my drift 

7 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

More is coming out about these scenes reshoots. It appears they were extensive, and very much altered major parts of the film. Grace Randolph was on set after signing an NDA at the time, and shared what she saw in the theater was a shift from what she saw for real originally. Not to detract from the positives that are in the film right now. But it gives a clue to why the CGI comes across so poor due to the near-term changes.

'Justice League' Cut Footage Provided More Depth To The Film

Commentator and critic Grace Randolph recently spoke about the deleted footage from Justice League and how it would have provided more depth to certain scenes, such as the flashback battle between the union of gods, Atlanteans, and Amazons, and Steppenwolf's army of parademons.

Spoiler

"So, they have an… alien Green Lantern fighting alongside Diana's gods, which I didn't think was very well established. I knew that from my visit to the production office. I can't talk about that, I signed a nondisclosure agreement," said Randolph.

"During my visit there, let's just say I got a better sense that the Gods, like Zeus, et cetera, were joining this fight against Darkseid back in the day, but here you kinda just had to pick it up."

She compared the film's cut footage to the situation with Suicide Squad, where a lot of scenes featuring Joker were omitted from the movie.

"Again, I had to sign a nondisclosure agreement when I went to visit the Warner Bros. lot, so I can't discuss what I saw but I can tell you I saw a lot that wasn't in this movie," she added. "And it was good, it was really good. It provided a lot more depth than you see in the finished product."

This one is a long article that makes a lot of good points how the studio second-guessed what they had.

Justice League Reshoots: Every Change Whedon Made To Snyder’s Film

There’s a big villain in Justice League and it isn’t Steppenwolf: it’s reshoots. The exact nature of the DCEU’s infamous reshoots has been debated endlessly over the past year – was Joss Whedon executing a massive course correct or simply helping out Zack Snyder?

All through this, we’ve been told several things over and over: Whedon was following Snyder’s blueprint and wasn’t going to change the tone or style; the reshoots weren’t that extensive or impactful on the finished product; and that, above all, this was still Zack Snyder’s picture. To cap it all off, the week of release we were told by producer Charles Roven that Whedon in total shot around 15-20% of the released film.

A LOT OF ZACK SNYDER’S ORIGINAL FOOTAGE HAS BEEN COMPLETELY CUT

And with the big additions stated, it’s time to move to the other side of the story: what was cut. In a word, lots. Justice League‘s marketing blitz has been intense, which has given us an awful lot of footage from the film (pretty much every major moment not featuring Superman) and even more that didn’t make it through.

Now I REALLY want to see that Director's Cut. Though I enjoyed what we did get as a Theatrical Cut.

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I loved the line in the last movie so for me it was a message to those who enjoyed that phrase then if you catch my drift 

But then when Batman deals with the after-effects, I loved his line.

Spoiler

"Something's bleeding!"

:roflmao:

18 hours ago, Drummy said:

The total gross may be projected down also due to the first weekend of the movie 'Wonder', which we just saw with our teenage daughter in a theater 80% full for a 10:30am showing.  

The book is hugely popular and the movie was also quite good (if a bit too much treacle), so there will be real competition for 'JL' this weekend for family audiences.

Hope to catch 'JL' next week before the holiday hits!

Dan

You pegged it! After a large superhero year packed with such movies, Justice League on the tail-end of such a year ran into something new at the theater.

Box Office: 'Wonder' Blind Sides 'Justice League' With $9.6M Friday

One of the reasons why Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s Justice League may not have opened as big as hoped was that its competition turned out to be mightier than expected. To wit, Lionsgate's Wonder is turning into its namesake. The well-reviewed Stephen Chbosky-directed adaptation of R.J. Palacio's 2012 novel earned a stunning $9.6 million on Friday. That puts the Julia Roberts/Owen Wilson/Jacob Tremblay/Daveed Diggs drama, about a young boy with Treacher Collins syndrome, may well flirt with $30m this weekend, although a more realistic $27-$29m debut would be a huge win for this $20m release.

The film, financed by Lionsgate, Participant Media, Walden Media and TIK Films, is on its way to being something akin (relatively speaking) to The Blind Side. If you recall, that well-reviewed and audience-beloved Sandra Bullock/Quinton Aaron sleeper smash opened with $33 million on this same weekend in 2009 while The Twilight Saga: New Moon opened with $142m.

It's sounding like 'Wonder' is sparking a lot of family attention, being something real-world yet positive.

Scott Mendelson: 'Justice League' Box Office: Why A $96M Debut Is A Disaster

• He's not the first critic to make the comparison to Batman Forever -- a misguided "family friendly" over-correction following a "too dark" predecessor
  • Adjusted for inflation, Justice League is projected to sell fewer tickets opening weekend then Batman Forever did (equiv. of $108 million today)
  • More likely cause? "folks didn't like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice so they stayed away from the sequel."
  • Cites a best case scenario that if Justice League has incredible legs it finishes just under $300 million domestic, although $225-$270 milion is more likely.

My additional note:

• Not adjusting for inflation, Iron Man opened to $98.6 million 9 years ago.
Edited by Gatsby77

20 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Scott Mendelson: 'Justice League' Box Office: Why A $96M Debut Is A Disaster

• He's not the first critic to make the comparison to Batman Forever -- a misguided "family friendly" over-correction following a "too dark" predecessor
  • Adjusted for inflation, Justice League is projected to sell fewer tickets opening weekend then Batman Forever did (equiv. of $108 million today)
  • More likely cause? "folks didn't like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice so they stayed away from the sequel."
  • Cites a best case scenario that if Justice League has incredible legs it finishes just under $300 million domestic, although $225-$270 milion is more likely.

My additional note:

• Not adjusting for inflation, Iron Man opened to $98.6 million 9 years ago.

Unfortunately - or fortunately - you can't compare Iron Man (something that was considered new and unique) to a movie containing Batman and Superman. And sure, I realize your response will be, "Right, but with them and the rest of the team this should be an instant billion dollar movie plus." The past two years alone has shown with Deadpool, Suicide Squad, Guardians of the Galaxy and Logan new and unique causes a large spark at the box office.

WB may have tampered with the Justice League movie late in the game making it appear rougher than it should be. But it is also taking on another 'unique' and 'new' competitor with 'Wonder' at the box office. Add to this heavily family-oriented.

2c

28 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

WB may have tampered with the Justice League movie late in the game making it appear rougher than it should be. But it is also taking on another 'unique' and 'new' competitor with 'Wonder' at the box office. Add to this heavily family-oriented.

2c

Seriously Bosco - _that's_ what you're going with?

That a small indy film over-performs expectations by $11 million to reach the lofty heights of ~$28 million is the reason the freakin' Justice League movie underperformed its modest $118 million expectations by literally $20 million?

That it couldn't touch the opening of Wonder Woman, let alone come close to that of Thor 3?

That it came it at nearly $70 million under the opening of BvS?

That it couldn't even reach the un-adjusted total of Iron Man back in 2008, despite WB having released a Batman movie that same year that opened to $158 million?

Of literally all the excuses you could have picked...wow. :roflmao: