• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Mea Culpa:  $900 WW est ($350 US, $550 Int'l) adjusted down to $800MM ($300MM US, $500MM Int'l); CC's $600MM looking better

Hell my $850 prediction is looking fairly awful also.  

I think the Forbes article is extremely interesting, because it also helps to explain why and OK to good movie wold be struggling so badly (in relative terms).  The two observations in the article which struck me the most were that people were seeing this as a sequel not a stand alone or new feature.  So it is performing as the third part in a trilogy. Avengers by some almost miracle was not viewed as sequel it was seen as a culmination.  Next is it is being viewed as a fan movie and not a movie for general audiences.  That observation would explain why people here would be honestly enjoying the film, but it is not playing well to a wider audience.  There are just too many fan nods and Easter Eggs, not to mention plot points that are confusing non comic people.

The results a movie fans like to love, and everyone else is somewhat indifferent too.

The CGI on main villain (stepanwolf??) looked liked it was put together by a video game company?? Wth?!

The Superman arc was a cop out. Mamoa is the muscle head who just spits out one-liners. Flash is a goofball (funny at times).

Cyborg, Batman, and Wonder Woman saved this movie IMO  

DC was 5 yrs too late. It felt like watching a poorly put together avengers movie. 

But do fans really love it, though?

Or are they just excited to see some of their favorite heroes on-screen together for the first time?

That there's already a fan petition asking to see a Snyder "Director's Cut" indicates to me that the hardcore fans know the film's deeply flawed and at least want to see what Snyder's vision, without the forced Whedon humor and re-shoots.

38 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Seriously Bosco - _that's_ what you're going with?

That a small indy film over-performs expectations by $11 million to reach the lofty heights of ~$28 million is the reason the freakin' Justice League movie underperformed its modest $118 million expectations by literally $20 million?

That it couldn't touch the opening of Wonder Woman, let alone come close to that of Thor 3?

That it came it at nearly $70 million under the opening of BvS?

That it couldn't even reach the un-adjusted total of Iron Man back in 2008, despite WB having released a Batman movie that same year that opened to $158 million?

Of literally all the excuses you could have picked...wow. :roflmao:

Going back to your old ways?! Oh well.

I was responding to your Iron Man comment. But yes, 'Wonder' would be a first week detractor. In addition to another round of low critic scores that general movie-goers are going to react to.

Is this where I drop in a ' :roflmao: ' or ' :grin: ' along with some detractor declaration? Maybe an 'uumm' or two?

Edited by Bosco685

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

But do fans really love it, though?

Or are they just excited to see some of their favorite heroes on-screen together for the first time?

That there's already a fan petition asking to see a Snyder "Director's Cut" indicates to me that the hardcore fans know the film's deeply flawed and at least want to see what Snyder's vision, without the forced Whedon humor and re-shoots.

I have been arguing in this thread for several days, if not longer, that the CGC site is not an accurate place to gauge what everyone else thinks. We are so invested in the comic culture and anything that relates to it, that we just get so excited to just see this stuff on screen.  At times, I think we become somewhat blind to what may be overblown, but legitimate complaints about these films. Also it is human nature to seek out reviews and comment that support our bias.  So if we walk out of a movie and most people are quiet or even somewhat negative, but we see that one super pumped person, that is the one we will remember, but anecdotal stories are not proof.  Furthermore, people posting positive or negative reviews online is not accurate.  Anyone that deals with the internet is well aware that only the very positive or very negative tend to post.  The silent majority says nothing.  Likewise, just as many have posted positive reviews here for each positive review I could post two negative.  Again we seek out that which support our argument.  The only true gauge we have if people did or did not like JL in the wider sense is to look at the numbers 3 or 4 weeks form now.

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

Mea Culpa:  $900 WW est ($350 US, $550 Int'l) adjusted down to $800MM ($300MM US, $500MM Int'l); CC's $600MM looking better

I suspected the domestic was going to be low and would hurt it. Most of the millennials I talked to had no interest in that it made me think no buzz. They were all talking Thor and Star Wars. Really BvS had an negative affect with domestic. International is still up in the air I guess.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

don't take my word for it, read it directly from the pen of the DCEU's #2 sycophant.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/11/19/justice-league-box-office-why-a-96m-debut-is-a-disaster/#30f8c213513e

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Scott Mendelson: 'Justice League' Box Office: Why A $96M Debut Is A Disaster

• He's not the first critic to make the comparison to Batman Forever -- a misguided "family friendly" over-correction following a "too dark" predecessor
  • Adjusted for inflation, Justice League is projected to sell fewer tickets opening weekend then Batman Forever did (equiv. of $108 million today)
  • More likely cause? "folks didn't like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice so they stayed away from the sequel."
  • Cites a best case scenario that if Justice League has incredible legs it finishes just under $300 million domestic, although $225-$270 milion is more likely.

My additional note:

• Not adjusting for inflation, Iron Man opened to $98.6 million 9 years ago.

Did you guys manage to get a break between BvS and JL?!

This is my personal favourite from the last couple of days...

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:25 PM, paperheart said:

You'd be more likely to get a negative critical response polling mothers that have just given birth about the looks of their newborns than you would polling fanboys who rush to see these movies on day 1

I see nothing's changed lol 

Just go see it... ;) 

30 minutes ago, Batman said:
3 hours ago, paperheart said:

don't take my word for it, read it directly from the pen of the DCEU's #2 sycophant.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/11/19/justice-league-box-office-why-a-96m-debut-is-a-disaster/#30f8c213513e

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Scott Mendelson: 'Justice League' Box Office: Why A $96M Debut Is A Disaster

• He's not the first critic to make the comparison to Batman Forever -- a misguided "family friendly" over-correction following a "too dark" predecessor
  • Adjusted for inflation, Justice League is projected to sell fewer tickets opening weekend then Batman Forever did (equiv. of $108 million today)
  • More likely cause? "folks didn't like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice so they stayed away from the sequel."
  • Cites a best case scenario that if Justice League has incredible legs it finishes just under $300 million domestic, although $225-$270 milion is more likely.

My additional note:

• Not adjusting for inflation, Iron Man opened to $98.6 million 9 years ago.

Did you guys manage to get a break between BvS and JL?!

This is my personal favourite from the last couple of days...

On 11/18/2017 at 10:25 AM, paperheart said:

You'd be more likely to get a negative critical response polling mothers that have just given birth about the looks of their newborns than you would polling fanboys who rush to see these movies on day 1

I see nothing's changed lol 

Just go see it... ;) 

Most probably this was just meant to make you take a walk down memory lane.

:eek:

I’m not sure that I’m going to see this film. Plot and characterisation are important to me. I’m not interested in watching a 2 hour video game.

I plan to wait a week or two...

'Justice League' Has Stronger International Box Office Opening, Worldwide Debut $281 Million

Justice League opened with $185 million internationally. That number combined with the film’s $96 million opening weekend domestic bring its worldwide total to $281 million.

In China, Justice League opened to $51 million. That’s the second highest opening in the market ever for Warner Bros., behind Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Other markets where Justice League opened include Brazil ($14 million), the United Kingdom ($9.8 million), Mexico ($9.6 million), South Korea ($8.8 million), Russia ($6.5 million), Australia ($6.3 million), France ($6 million), Indonesia ($5.8 million), and the Philippines ($5.8 million).

Justice League's worldwide total is still a bit shy of the film's production budget, which is reportedly $300 million.

Although some of those country numbers seem small, it turns out for their market Justice League had to fight local competition. And with India, supposedly there was some mix-up in translating the English copy to the more extensive local languages leading to a lower distribution. It would be interesting to hear how that came about.

Justice League box office collection: DC film tops India, China markets; stumbles in US

Justice League took the top spot at the Indian box office over the weekend with a gross of Rs 7.82 crore ($1.2 miliion) on the opening day, according to a Warner Bros studio estimate. Capitalising on the rather meek competition from Hindi films like Tumhari Sulu and Aksar 2, DC Comics' latest film completely dominated the market. Forbes reported that Justice League had the third largest opening for a Warner Bros film in India and the largest ever for a Warner Bros-IMAX release.

The film ruled the Chinese box office with an estimated gross of $37 million from the screenings on Friday and Saturday, according to a report on Variety.

9 minutes ago, roulette44 said:

Loved it.   Absolutely Loved it.     Had to settle for a lousy seat in the sold out theatre -- with several bouts of cheering and actual sharing of "high fives" between total strangers.      Am quite pleased with the outcome.        Like others, however, I would have liked 15-20 more minutes of content to fill things in a bit more.

Hilarious to watch the same couple of folks here bash it ..... especially so for those that haven't seen it.   And the amount of time they spend here bashing DCEU, omg, classic!!

Going to see it again today or tomorrow!

The theatre we went to had horrible seats and a small screen. Probably the worse theatre in terms of quality I’ve been to in the past 3 years (those who go to the new 4K screens and reclining seats know what I’m talking about )

because of that I plan to watch it again on a big screen when I get the chance 

Just gettting ready to watch the movie and ran into some friends with their families at the movies. They are going to see Wonder today and then JL next weekend. It will be interesting to see how many other families do the same. 

That being said, my friends all asked "you going to Justice League?" I said yes. Insaid enjoy Wonder and they sighed. lol

Edited by kimik

On my way out of the theatre on Friday, I noticed a woman sat in the front row in floods of tears. Concerned, I stopped and sat beside her, asking what was the matter. The poor woman was so upset she couldn’t speak. She just kept crying. I couldn’t leave her there, so I decided to find out what was troubling her.

“I take it you didn’t like the movie?” I asked. “I know not everyone’s a fan of Zack Synder but his directing really isn’t that bad. He just has a unique vision for the DCEU which incorporates the gritty realism of modern society.”

“No, no, it’s not that,” sobbed the woman, the tears streaming down her cheeks.

I put my arm around her for comfort. “What is it then, you poor thing? Was it the extensive reshoots ordered by Joss Whedon, rumoured to amount to 20% of the final cut? You know, it was those reshoots that really made the movie shine.”

“No, no, it’s not the reshoots!” she cried, as she burst into another round of tears.

“Was it the use of CGI to remove Henry Cavill’s moustache?” I continued. “I thought it gave him more of that chiselled Superman look.”

“No, it wasn’t that,” she replied.

By this point I didn’t know what to do but the poor woman looked so distraught, I had to help her. I thought long and hard before realising what the problem must be.

So convinced was I that I’d got to the bottom of the situation, I exclaimed, “I’ve got it! It was Flash wasn’t it? He just wasn’t as funny as everyone thought he’d be. But that’s ok. His slightly uneasy sense of humour just reflects that of the stereotypical millennial.”

She stopped crying and looked at me with those sad, reddened eyes. “No,” she said. “I’m crying because…”

Spoiler

“…I’ve just realised my baby looks like Steppenwolf!”

26 minutes ago, kimik said:

Just gettting ready to watch the movie and ran into some friends with their families at the movies. They are going to see Wonder today and then JL next weekend. It will be interesting to see how many other families do the same. 

That being said, my friends all asked "you going to Justice League?" I said yes. Insaid enjoy Wonder and they sighed. lol

as a fanboy you are required to come back here and lie how much you liked it so that the tribal council of 3 can confirm their suspicions that the movie sucks, snyder sucks, DCEU needs to reboot and make quality comedies movies like Disney aka Marvel

The wife and I saw it this morning... and we both really liked it.  And we both thought MOS was ok, thought BVS was pretty bad, and SS was awful.   So we were really excited to like this.   I actually had to convince her to give this one more try and she was glad we did.  This is definitely the kind of movie I'll watch the heck out of when it's on HBO.

Now, was it a great movie? Absolutely not.  But it was the first time I felt like they did a good job entertaining me with the characters I love.

DC hasn't solved the villain problem yet.  But hey, Marvel for the most part struggles with that too.  They've had a few successes and if DC can hit on something in that department in an upcoming movie... maybe there's a reason to be optimistic!

As for whatever happens at the box office?  Well... if it doesn't do well, as far as I'm concerned, they'll be getting some of what they deserve for what they put out before.  And that's unfortuntate.  But I do hope people give this a shot.

For those on the fence, I think DC has made a solid genre movie here.  Meaning, if you're a fan of comic book movies, you'd be crazy not to see it.  Genre movies typically don't get great reviews, because they aren't always good movies.  These can be summer comedies, over the top action pics, etc... that's what DC has done here.  Nothing wrong with that.  Keep them coming.

Marvel has hit on a formula that has made, in my opinion, movies that stand alone as good movies that transcend the genre.  Some of them are straight genre that you'd only see if you were a fan, but others that you'd recommend to people who don't like or know much about comics.... GOTG, Ant Man, either of the first two Caps (the first being a War genre pic, the second a spy genre pic).  

But there's room on the screen for both kinds of movies and as long as they're done well, I'll go see them.  This was DC doing something well.   Most people on this site will enjoy it.