• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

This movie was terrible and anyone who claims otherwise is lying. 

:sumo:

I've hit notify on all the positive posts as they are sleeper shill accounts created by WB and Snyder to inflate the score of this movie on this chatboard.

5 minutes ago, fmaz said:

The wife and I saw it this morning... and we both really liked it.  And we both thought MOS was ok, thought BVS was pretty bad, and SS was awful.   So we were really excited to like this.   I actually had to convince her to give this one more try and she was glad we did.  This is definitely the kind of movie I'll watch the heck out of when it's on HBO.

Now, was it a great movie? Absolutely not.  But it was the first time I felt like they did a good job entertaining me with the characters I love.

DC hasn't solved the villain problem yet.  But hey, Marvel for the most part struggles with that too.  They've had a few successes and if DC can hit on something in that department in an upcoming movie... maybe there's a reason to be optimistic!

As for whatever happens at the box office?  Well... if it doesn't do well, as far as I'm concerned, they'll be getting some of what they deserve for what they put out before.  And that's unfortuntate.  But I do hope people give this a shot.

For those on the fence, I think DC has made a solid genre movie here.  Meaning, if you're a fan of comic book movies, you'd be crazy not to see it.  Genre movies typically don't get great reviews, because they aren't always good movies.  These can be summer comedies, over the top action pics, etc... that's what DC has done here.  Nothing wrong with that.  Keep them coming.

Marvel has hit on a formula that has made, in my opinion, movies that stand alone as good movies that transcend the genre.  Some of them are straight genre that you'd only see if you were a fan, but others that you'd recommend to people who don't like or know much about comics.... GOTG, Ant Man, either of the first two Caps (the first being a War genre pic, the second a spy genre pic).  

But there's room on the screen for both kinds of movies and as long as they're done well, I'll go see them.  This was DC doing something well.   Most people on this site will enjoy it.

You haven't seen Wonder Woman yet?

I realize we are in the heat of the Festivus Season, but if it is okay to discuss the movie again..

So does anyone have an idea who these characters were that came up during the first Steppenwolf battle?

Spoiler

Either Zeus, Atlas or some have said Hercules

nLimwpE.png

Green Lantern

oXp9Rv3.png

MxJThHR.png

The same god shown in the red cape and loincloth is the one launching the lightning bolts.

Ja96DaZ.png

The large gods standing being the humans after defeating Steppenwolf.

bg9kqIi.png

23 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

:whatthe:

Wait until you see that. Though I think it will just strengthen your list.

so I read something last night - about a scene cut or how the original direction of the movie (when it was going to be two parts) was going to tie it back to the nightmare scene from BVS.  I guess the Flash going back to tell him that Lois is the key and how it ties back to that scene that "Bruce was right all along" i.e. that they need him. Anyways, I'm not sure about it so I watched the clip on youtube and saw the extended scene (I guess from the Ultimate edition), that scene is even better in the Ultimate cut.

I guess maybe there's an alternate version of Batman screwing that up and Supes not remembering who he is etc. I know I've screwed up this explanation but the key here is the Ultimate edition is on my weekend watch list now.

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

You haven't seen Wonder Woman yet?

Sorry, we loved Wonder Woman...

but I felt like that wasn't part of this Zack Snyder party.  The great job on that didn't make me us any more optimistic about Justice League.  If anything, it made us realize how well a movie could be done.

But yeah, should have included that.

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I realize we are in the heat of the Festivus Season, but if it is okay to discuss the movie again..

So does anyone have an idea who these characters were that came up during the first Steppenwolf battle?

Reveal hidden contents

Either Zeus, Atlas or some have said Hercules

nLimwpE.png

Green Lantern

oXp9Rv3.png

MxJThHR.png

The same god shown in the red cape and loincloth is the one launching the lightning bolts.

Ja96DaZ.png

The large gods standing being the humans after defeating Steppenwolf.

bg9kqIi.png

Spoiler

I think it's Zeus and the GL isn't anyone that we may know

2 minutes ago, fmaz said:

Sorry, we loved Wonder Woman...

but I felt like that wasn't part of this Zack Snyder party.  The great job on that didn't make me us any more optimistic about Justice League.  If anything, it made us realize how well a movie could be done.

But yeah, should have included that.

That's why I'm slightly optimistic about JL too. Not enough for opening weekend though. I'm sure this movie do fine in the long run though. (thumbsu 

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

so I read something last night - about a scene cut or how the original direction of the movie (when it was going to be two parts) was going to tie it back to the nightmare scene from BVS.  I guess the Flash going back to tell him that Lois is the key and how it ties back to that scene that "Bruce was right all along" i.e. that they need him. Anyways, I'm not sure about it so I watched the clip on youtube and saw the extended scene (I guess from the Ultimate edition), that scene is even better in the Ultimate cut.

I guess maybe there's an alternate version of Batman screwing that up and Supes not remembering who he is etc. I know I've screwed up this explanation but the key here is the Ultimate edition is on my weekend watch list now.

I think I follow you.  It's funny, when they were  ... wait are we doing spoilers here?  Just in case...

Spoiler

when they were plotting to bring Superman back and Bruce was talking about the "big gun" I'm sure all of us knew it was Lois.  I immediately thought of the scene in BVS.  And I wondered if that meant there's another reality where Superman returns and kills the Justice League (or one of them) or goes crazy and does something... and Barry warns Bruce so that the discarded (in that timeline) notion of brining Lois is, is what happens in "our" timeline that we see.

God, I hate time travel.  lol

7 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

:whee:

Kick back, and enjoy. The three hours goes by fast with all that story and eye-candy.

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think it's Zeus and the GL isn't anyone that we may know

I think the same thing. That one character which Steppenwolf killed has to be generations before...

Spoiler

Abin Sur and then Hal Jordon.

37 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think the same thing. That one character which Steppenwolf killed has to be generations before...

Hide contents

Abin Sur and then Hal Jordon.

I agree. Way too far in the past for it to be Sur/Jordan. I like that, though. Also, someone who paid attention to the credits said that Zeus, Ares and Neptune were all in there.

3 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Hide contents

I agree. Way too far in the past for it to be Sur/Jordan. I like that, though. Also, someone who paid attention to the credits said that Zeus, Ares and Neptune were all in there.

Seriously?

I need to go see this again.

:whee:

6 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Scott Mendelson: 'Justice League' Box Office: Why A $96M Debut Is A Disaster

• He's not the first critic to make the comparison to Batman Forever -- a misguided "family friendly" over-correction following a "too dark" predecessor
  • Adjusted for inflation, Justice League is projected to sell fewer tickets opening weekend then Batman Forever did (equiv. of $108 million today)
  • More likely cause? "folks didn't like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice so they stayed away from the sequel."
  • Cites a best case scenario that if Justice League has incredible legs it finishes just under $300 million domestic, although $225-$270 milion is more likely.

My additional note:

• Not adjusting for inflation, Iron Man opened to $98.6 million 9 years ago.

What are your thoughts on it releasing just two weeks after Thor?  Miscalculation?   I think there was about a month between Wonder Woman and Homecoming.   

I was going to say that mid week business might help this movie.  But now I'm thinking kids and families will be going to see Wonder and not this and then Coco after that, instead of this. 

I was also questioning whether this might just be the beginning of "superhero fatigue".  But then I look at how well Thor is doing- Thor, mind you- and I conclude that DC does not know how to control its spending on these movies and audiences (and especially critics) are just sick of their particular product and brand in its current iteration.

Also, @Bosco685 this movie was projected to do $325MM at the global box office, so no, despite what that article you quoted implies, $285 is also well below expectations in that regard as well. China looks to be particularly weak, and as you know, most American films get pulled pretty quickly there, no matter how well they're still doing.  

-J.

13 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

What are your thoughts on it releasing just two weeks after Thor?  Miscalculation?   I think there was about a month between Wonder Woman and Homecoming.   

I was going to say that mid week business might help this movie.  But now I'm thinking kids and families will be going to see Wonder and not this and then Coco after that, instead of this. 

I was also questioning whether this might just be the beginning of "superhero fatigue".  But then I look at how well Thor is doing- Thor, mind you- and I conclude that DC does not know how to control its spending on these movies and audiences (and especially critics) are just sick of their particular product and brand in its current iteration.

Also, @Bosco685 this movie was projected to do $325MM at the global box office, so no, despite what that article you quoted implies, $285 is also well below expectations in that regard as well. China looks to be particularly weak, and as you know, most American films get pulled pretty quickly there, no matter how well they're still doing.  

-J.

You mean where the article noted the weak spot was the domestic total versus international? Where is the article wrong?

3 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

He was mentioned by Steppenwolf, but he might never have a film to appear in. 

When did he mention him? It must have been so quick or during a scene where the audience was loud I did not catch this.

12 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I'm waiting for the price of Jimmy Olsen #134 and Forever People #1 to drop so I can add it to the collection(thumbsu.

There's a possibility that Darkseid won't be in the DCEU:cry:.

I can't see them skipping Darkseid. Not with the appearance of Steppenwolf.

But I do hope you track down your books. I never picked up a Jimmy Olsen #134, but was able to track down Forever People #1 years back.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You mean where the article noted the weak spot was the domestic total versus international? Where is the article wrong?

If the movie was expected to do $110MM domestic and only did $96MM, that means the film also under perfored internationally by about $26MM.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules