• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

What year would you say that changed?  I wouldn't put it before about 2005, and even after that the majority of stories just aren't that great.  More started to be over the last decade or so, but still most are filler that wouldn't hold up to the standard of a Hollywood screenplay.

I can't speak for Roy but I agree with him that today's mainstream comics are _far_ better written than the ones of our youth.

And what you can see in the past 15 years that you didn't before is writers coming from the ranks of published authors, even for generic superhero books (Brad Meltzer on Green Arrow, Jody Piccoult on Wonder Woman, Straczynski on ASM, etc.)

I think the shift came around 2000-2001, when you had both an influx of new writers (including Greg Rucka, Ed Brubaker, Brian Azarello and Bryan K. Vaughn, Scott Snyder) and the widespread move towards writing for the trades (such as the runs beginning with Amazing Spider-Man vol. 2 # 30-50 or so, Incredible Hulk vol. 2 # 34-60 or so, Daredevil vol. 2 -- starting with # 16 and running through to at least # 90, Detective Comics 742-775).

The average superhero book today is _far_ better written and more sophisticated than those of the '80s, when you had just 3-4 superstars with Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, & such.

Edited by Gatsby77

18 minutes ago, Thawk said:

Went and saw it for a second time last night.  It really holds up.  The CG is still poor, but I really enjoyed the tone and characters.  Superman was finally who I've been waiting for him to be - positive, light, powerful, and with a correctly colored suit haha.

Really enjoyed this movie a lot even though it's not perfect.

I'm really tempted to go back a second time this weekend since we have off the rest of the week for Thanksgiving. Too easy to find the time.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
21 minutes ago, Thawk said:

Went and saw it for a second time last night.  It really holds up.  The CG is still poor, but I really enjoyed the tone and characters.  Superman was finally who I've been waiting for him to be - positive, light, powerful, and with a correctly colored suit haha.

Really enjoyed this movie a lot even though it's not perfect.

I'm really tempted to go back a second time this weekend since we have off the rest of the week for Thanksgiving. Too easy to find the time.

Coco FTW! Or Lady Bird. Or Darkest Hours. or Last Flag Flying.

Edited by revat

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:
27 minutes ago, revat said:

Coco FTW! Or Lady Bird. Or Darkest Hours. or Last Flag Flying.

Or Justice League FTRW!

:headbang:

Nice going, through.

Actually, I'm happy you (or anyone ) enjoy ANY movie enough to see it twice (or more) in the theater.  I'm happy anyone enjoys ANYTHING (that isn't unhealthy or illegal) that much, no doubt that type of positivity is good for the soul.  I just don't know if I get another full $10-$15 of value out of watching a movie twice (though with big action flicks you get more bang for the buck on effects and sound etc), I think I get more value out of 'free' Seinfeld and Its Always Sunny and Curb reruns like non-stop. 

1 minute ago, revat said:

Actually, I'm happy you (or anyone ) enjoy ANY movie enough to see it twice (or more) in the theater.  I'm happy anyone enjoys ANYTHING (that isn't unhealthy or illegal) that much, no doubt that type of positivity is good for the soul.  I just don't know if I get another full $10-$15 of value out of watching a movie twice (though with big action flicks you get more bang for the buck on effects and sound etc), I think I get more value out of 'free' Seinfeld and Its Always Sunny and Curb reruns like non-stop. 

So the 'FTW' and adding the list of other movies is your view on a better movie-going experience. Though you could have just noted you don't like seeing the same movie twice.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I did not realize they made that film for under $100MIL

If so then maybe it is possible to stay profitable and put out a quality film.

You can make good movies for a lot less.   Deadpool production budget was 58 million, and It's budget was 35 million.  Granted they may be nowhere near as heavy with CGI, and the names may be smaller, but it can be done.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm still ultra-impressed by the extreme quality of the Colossus CGI on that budget.  (worship)

With the CEO of a CGI company as director, how much free work do you think there was in Deadpool that needs to be covered now in the Deadpool 2 budget?

With the whole mustache thing.  I fully realize that it was in the Mission Impossible 6 contract that Cavill was not allowed to shave it.  Did anyone at WB think that maybe if they gave the MI people 1 or 2 million bucks and made sure they got a top notched makeup artist that nobody would have noticed as opposed to how much time and money WB spent to cover the thing up?

Maybe I am being too reasonable here and nobody wants to do anything that may make their product suffer, but there had to be a way to make it work.

27 minutes ago, drotto said:

With the whole mustache thing.  I fully realize that it was in the Mission Impossible 6 contract that Cavill was not allowed to shave it.  Did anyone at WB think that maybe if they gave the MI people 1 or 2 million bucks and made sure they got a top notched makeup artist that nobody would have noticed as opposed to how much time and money WB spent to cover the thing up?

Maybe I am being too reasonable here and nobody wants to do anything that may make their product suffer, but there had to be a way to make it work.

I'd posted earlier a tweet by one of the VFX guys on Justice League who weighed in on this.

He noted that it would have been much cheaper if Paramount had allowed Cavill to shave his mustache for the Justice League re-shoots and then to have Warner Bros. pay to have his mustache digitally added to the remainder of MI:6.

Because it's tons easier to add elements than erase them.

DEADLINE: ‘Coco’ Sings $2.3M Tuesday Night; ‘Justice League’ Soars To $10.6M

Disney/Pixar’s Coco began its Thanksgiving march on the box office last night with $2.3 million, with an eye on making $60M or more over the next five days.

Warner Bros/DC’s Justice League led all films in regular release with a big Tuesday of $10.6M, up 41% over Monday, for a running cume of $111.9M. The Zack Snyder-directed movie is expected to take in a gross similar to Coco‘s with $60M over the next five days.

While critics have strangled Justice League with a 41% Rotten Tomatoes score, audiences are enjoying it with final PostTrak showing a 4-out-of-5-star response with males at 62% enjoying the movie with an 80% overall positive, and females at 38% giving it an 85% grade. Warners is hoping that more of those older female Wonder Woman fans come out, just like they did for her June solo outing: Females over 25 are giving Justice League its best grades at 90%, but they’re still in the minority among the pic’s headcount repping only 18% of the audience.

Leading the charge are males under 35 (32%, 78% positive), males over 25 (30%, 81% positive), and women under 25 (20% at 81% positive). Justice League overall has a 65% definite recommend.

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

If Jesse Eisenberg in a battle suit is a studio-breaker, game on. There are characters like Black Adam and  Brainiac right there with him to fill the screen.

They've had four bites at the apple and the best they've come up with, and the only serviceable villain they've produced, is Zod. Who they then decided to kill, despite being the best actor in the movie.  

8 minutes ago, darkstar said:

They've had four bites at the apple and the best they've come up with, and the only serviceable villain they've produced, is Zod. Who they then decided to kill, despite being the best actor in the movie.  

hm

You could be right.

9VbbGj8.png

Oh. Sorry. No teddy bear award this time around.