• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

I was very disappointed in how Ultron was handled. It just seemed they missed the mark somehow. And yes, I could have done without all the Ultron drones. It's a cheap cop-out and filler material that's a worn out insult to my intelligence. Ultron would have worked better as a stand alone villian without all that chaff. It just distracted from his true potential as a menace.

24 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

I was very disappointed in how Ultron was handled. It just seemed they missed the mark somehow. And yes, I could have done without all the Ultron drones. It's a cheap cop-out and filler material that's a worn out insult to my intelligence. Ultron would have worked better as a stand alone villian without all that chaff. It just distracted from his true potential as a menace.

agreed.

The voice should never have been human sounding. Cold and mechanical yet laden with contempt for humanity is what they should have gone with.

Edited by Artboy99

Agreed.  Spader's voice would have been fine with more menace, fewer quips -- Whedon just can't help himself on that kind of humor, no matter the character. Most the time it works, but with Ultron it was a letdown.

I actually thought Ultron might have started the film by taking over the Stark LMD mentioned in 'The Avengers' and have it come in and kill/try to kill Pepper and/or the individual team members. That would have set very high stakes between 'father and son' from the get-go, but they went in the more pedestrian direction of nuclear codes, etc.  I still like the movie on balance, but lots of missed opportunities with the villain.

Dan

Looks like Coco with its 96% percent Rotten Tomatoes rating is going to end the Justice League one week reign at the top! :whatthe:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/coco-box-office-thanksgiving-justice-league-1202622395/

Disney-Pixar’s “Coco” is heading for a clear victory over “Justice League” at the Thanksgiving holiday box office, estimates showed Thursday morning.

Coco” should finish above $70 million at 3,958 North American locations in its first five days while “Justice League” will wind up around $60 million at 4,051 sites. “Coco” is performing significantly above pre-release forecasts, which had been in the $55 million to $60 million range.

Meanwhile in China. JLA sets records!

Justice League Helps Chinese Box Office Set New National Record.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-box-office-china-record/

Justice League is making box office strides in China, as its massive box office opening weekend even ushered the country into a new record-breaking ticket revenue. Warner Bros.’ first crack at a superhero ensemble project may have just debuted way less than everybody expected it to be, raking in just $96 million domestically, but it proves to be a hit in other territories, including the East Asian nation where it started strong with a solid $52.1 million.

42 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Looks like Coco with its 96% percent Rotten Tomatoes rating is going to end the Justice League one week reign at the top! :whatthe:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/coco-box-office-thanksgiving-justice-league-1202622395/

Disney-Pixar’s “Coco” is heading for a clear victory over “Justice League” at the Thanksgiving holiday box office, estimates showed Thursday morning.

Coco” should finish above $70 million at 3,958 North American locations in its first five days while “Justice League” will wind up around $60 million at 4,051 sites. “Coco” is performing significantly above pre-release forecasts, which had been in the $55 million to $60 million range.

Meanwhile in China. JLA sets records!

Justice League Helps Chinese Box Office Set New National Record.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-box-office-china-record/

Justice League is making box office strides in China, as its massive box office opening weekend even ushered the country into a new record-breaking ticket revenue. Warner Bros.’ first crack at a superhero ensemble project may have just debuted way less than everybody expected it to be, raking in just $96 million domestically, but it proves to be a hit in other territories, including the East Asian nation where it started strong with a solid $52.1 million.

I posted the Deadline article the other day that predicted $70M for Coco, and $60-$63M for Justice League. So what's the  :whatthe: over?

DEADLINE UPDATE: ‘Justice League’ At $61M+

Disney/Pixar’s Coco is still faring better than the studios’ Good Dinosaur two years ago, but just a few steps behind last year’s Moana and mega hit Frozen which respectively posted $82M and $93.6M over their Thanksgiving five-day openings.

Warner Bros./DC’s Justice League wasn’t that far behind Coco yesterday, making $8.5M which will yield a $42.2M 3-day, $61.3M 5-day, and running cume of $173M.  Figure around $17M for the Diana Prince, the Caped Crusader, Man of Steel and friends.

That's right where Justice League was supposed to land - $60M to $63M.

4 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I think the RT score needs to start grouping the ratings by genre.  Who's going to hate Coco?!?!?!  That's like hitting the "dislike" button on puppy videoslol.

Sorry, your post ends up at a 6.5/10.0 because you failed to mention kittens.

(:

Saw it again today and liked it just as much (maybe more, picking up more of the detail).   It's wall to wall entertainment AFAIC!

Another theater packed full of happy customers - with multiple rounds of clapping.

I understand some of the feedback i've seen here (too much to cram in, CGI missed some things), but pure hate and negativity towards it....can't follow!!

For the DCEU, i hope it makes a comeback at the Box Office, so many more good movies to make!

57 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I posted the Deadline article the other day that predicted $70M for Coco, and $60-$63M for Justice League. So what's the  :whatthe: over?

It was pointed out to me by other board members many times that Justice League had no competition for 4 weeks until Star Wars dropped.

Looks like many people under estimated Coco which is snowballing into a major blockbuster hit. Coco should dominate now until Star Wars drops.

btw I noticed Wonder has some legs at well. It is doing surprising good box office.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It was pointed out to me by other board members many times that Justice League had no competition for 4 weeks until Star Wars dropped.

Looks like many people under estimated Coco which is snowballing into a major blockbuster hit. Coco should dominate now until Star Wars drops.

btw I noticed Wonder has some legs at well. It is doing surprising good box office.

Wonder has been exceeding expectations right from the beginning ($17M turned out to be $31M). Yet folks laughed.

As far as Coco dominating, Justice League has been holding pace even with with the latest Pixar movie. Coco is actually not matching Moana's same pace the previous year.

'Justice League': Zack Snyder Supports Director's Cut Petition

zack-snyder-likes-justice-league-directo

The theatrical version of Justice League has gotten such big blowback that there's now an online petition to get Zack Snyder's original cut of hte film released, much like when they demanded for the release of Snyder's full version of Batman v Superman. The petition already has over 100,000 signatures, but there's one endorsement that fans will appreciate more than any other.

VmYLJk2.png

As detailed above, one DC Films fan shared the Justice League Director's Cut petition on Vero, where it got a like from Zack Snyder himself!

I hope the Snyder version becomes available.  I'll definitely buy it just to compare the before and after.

Here's the only thing that (might) be a problem...

...some people will automatically say the Snyder version is better just to emphasize how bad a mistake the movie release version is.

We are forgetting that his version already was in the works before the critical failure of BvS.  His version (from what I'm hearing) was as dark and gritty as BvS.  The studio obviously decided they didn't like what they saw and made changes.  So lets not pretend the original version was going to save the studio.  Hindsight.

48 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I hope the Snyder version becomes available.  I'll definitely buy it just to compare the before and after.

Here's the only thing that (might) be a problem...

...some people will automatically say the Snyder version is better just to emphasize how bad a mistake the movie release version is.

We are forgetting that his version already was in the works before the critical failure of BvS.  His version (from what I'm hearing) was as dark and gritty as BvS.  The studio obviously decided they didn't like what they saw and made changes.  So lets not pretend the original version was going to save the studio.  Hindsight.

That's why if they did this it would be better to do a combined version release. That would be interesting to compare.

On 11/23/2017 at 5:53 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

But you could say that about DC also...

For every great Bat villain (Joker, Ra's Al Ghul) there's a Talia, Bane, Two-Face, and Scarecrow.

Superman fighting Zod is the equivalent of Iron Man fighting Obadiah Stane.

Doomsday and Lex Luther were some of the worse movie adaptations.

Wonder Woman didn't even have a true "villain".

Suicide Squad made Enchantress a hula dancer!

And on top of all that Steppenwolf...OMG Steppenwolf!!!

I just don't understand how anybody can say Marvel doesn't do good villains without including DC in that conversation.

I honestly have no issues with either.  But for the sake of argument I'm just trying to make my pointlol.

Superman fighting Zod, for me, is not comparable to Obadiah Stane. Zod was one of the last of Kal-El's race, and came with a super-powered crew with the intention of converting the entire Earth into New Krypton at the cost of human life. Obadiah Stane was intent on maintaining control of Stark Industries because he had helped build it.

Vast difference in motivation and impact. And with the death of Zod, this left Kal-El a little more unique but lost while Obadiah's end left Tony Stark in charge of a corporation. Again, for me I don't see the link. But I do appreciate your intent, which was to demonstrate both sides have their weak and strong villains.

I would definitely take Lex Luthor over that Aldrich 'The Nutty Professor' Killian in Iron Man III. THAT was one of the worst villains, compared to the original plan (Maya was going to be the real villain - and a 1st female primary villain for the MCU).

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Vast difference in motivation and impact. And with the death of Zod, this left Kal-El a little more unique but lost while Obadiah's end left Tony Stark in charge of a corporation. Again, for me I don't see the link.

It was just to point out that there are also heroes/villains in the DC universe who fight their doppelgangers.  That was the extent of my example.  It's one of the biggest complaints about Marvel villains.

Iron Man vs Obadiah Stane (both guys are in an iron suit)

Ant Man vs Yellow Jacket (both are small insects)

Black Panter vs Golden Jaguar (both are big cats)

Hence...Superman vs Zod (both are "super-men")

16 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

It was just to point out that there are also heroes/villains in the DC universe who fight their doppelgangers.  That was the extent of my example.  It's one of the biggest complaints about Marvel villains.

Iron Man vs Obadiah Stane (both guys are in an iron suit)

Ant Man vs Yellow Jacket (both are small insects)

Black Panter vs Golden Jaguar (both are big cats)

Hence...Superman vs Zod (both are "super-men")

Now that I agree with.

:martini:

Loved the movie. The heroes were top notch. would have likeda better villain but it makes sense why they started with this choice. The one liners were somewhat unexpected but very funny. Will be going back for seconds and thirds on this one. Took one son tonight, the wife and a daughter on Sunday. The other 2 kids want to see it as well. Great fun. (thumbsu

DEADLINE.COM: Black Friday Update

Warner Bros./DC’s Justice League wasn’t that far behind Coco on Thanksgiving, making $8.5M, however, their gap widened on Friday with the Zack Snyder-directed title earning $16.4M. This puts the pic at a $40.5M second FSS (-57%) and $59.4M 5-day for a running total that’s just under $172M. Pic is running 9.8% ahead of Warner’s Thanksgiving hit a year ago Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them which churned a 3x multiple from its opening for a final cume of $234M.

If Justice League can keep up that pace throughout December, it will end its stateside run at $257M.