• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

Maybe I am the only one, but when I see Mamoa as Aquaman I can't help but think that he would have been better cast as Lobo.

While I really like him in the Aquaman role, physically he looks more like Lobo.

Regardless, the way they are playing him up as Aquaman thus far gives me higher hopes for the solo movie. :wishluck:

Edited by kimik

20 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I'm getting old:sorry:I seem to be the only one who really disliked that trailer.  Flash comes across as just plain stupid and Aquaman seems to get more meat head every trailer.  They seem to be trying to add the Avengers funny and it just falls so far flat for me.  I'm going to stop watching the promos and hopefully this will all come together to make a great flick. :wishluck:

You're not the only one.  Looks really bad imo.  Alien invasion just like the first Avengers movie.  Aquaman totally out of character.  DC should just stop force feeding us this shared universe and focus on Gadot and Wonder Woman. 

48 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

You're not the only one.  Looks really bad imo.  Alien invasion just like the first Avengers movie.  Aquaman totally out of character.  DC should just stop force feeding us this shared universe and focus on Gadot and Wonder Woman. 

Honestly, I rather just have solo Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman movies, while have the Justice League composed of Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

7 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Anyone that saw this last trailer and considered it 'really bad' I just don't get.

Starting off with the Lois and Clark appearance, not only is this conveying a human side of the story and the loss Lois and the world is experiencing, but also a direct motivation for the formation of the Justice League. Here was this all-powerful being that was nursing the world forward as he was also learning about his own powers. Then POOF - he's gone and a vacuum is left where hope existed.

I get it about the alien invasion. But that was also done many times before even The Avengers (including War of the Worlds, Independence Day, Men In Black....). If the content fits the story, then so be it. And in this case, instead of some Loki demi-god loosely leading them into battle, this has a massively powerful Steppenwolf in the vanguard. There's no Hulk here to grab him by the feet, and swat him around like a newspaper.

This version of Aquaman (heavily influenced by Peter David's take) seems to be working for many people. Go watch the review videos on Youtube, and you will notice Aquaman, Wonder Woman and The Flash are the big hits in these trailers. So there may be a chance for another hit here for DC Movies. We shall see.

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Honestly, I rather just have solo Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman movies, while have the Justice League composed of Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter.

There have been so many versions of the Justice League, more than one grouping could work here. But if there is a favorite combination, I can see how that would drive your desire. I really enjoyed the Giffen early run, with a rough Green Lantern and some newer characters. Maybe one day.

38 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Anyone that saw this last trailer and considered it 'really bad' I just don't get.

Starting off with the Lois and Clark appearance, not only is this conveying a human side of the story and the loss Lois and the world is experiencing, but also a direct motivation for the formation of the Justice League. Here was this all-powerful being that was nursing the world forward as he was also learning about his own powers. Then POOF - he's gone and a vacuum is left where hope existed.

I get it about the alien invasion. But that was also done many times before even The Avengers (including War of the Worlds, Independence Day, Men In Black....). If the content fits the story, then so be it. And in this case, instead of some Loki demi-god loosely leading them into battle, this has a massively powerful Steppenwolf in the vanguard. There's no Hulk here to grab him by the feet, and swat him around like a newspaper.

This version of Aquaman (heavily influenced by Peter David's take) seems to be working for many people. Go watch the review videos on Youtube, and you will notice Aquaman, Wonder Woman and The Flash are the big hits in these trailers. So there may be a chance for another hit here for DC Movies. We shall see.

There have been so many versions of the Justice League, more than one grouping could work here. But if there is a favorite combination, I can see how that would drive your desire. I really enjoyed the Giffen early run, with a rough Green Lantern and some newer characters. Maybe one day.

Some of the trailer is good (especially the Clark/ Lois scenes which harp back to MOS) and some of it is bad (none of the attempts at humour work for me).

And that version of Heroes is achingly terrible.

Edited by Comicopolis

36 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

My wife and oldest daughter are extremely fond of Jason Mamoa. I guess he is on GoT? In any event, my wife loved the trailer and said how awesome Aquaman seemed. I am not necessarily against alien invasion as much as mindless streams of debris/dust/earth whatever and this seems to handle it well, down on the street like Avengers did. I am looking forward to it, and I still have not seen BvS in its' entirety.

38 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

Some of the trailer is good (especially the Clark/ Lois scenes which harp back to MOS) and some of it is bad (none of the attempts at humour work for me).

And that version of Heroes is achingly terrible.

The end scene with Barry Allen displaying his innocence when the Bat Signal appears can be hit-or-miss. I liked it.

Now after all the themes used, hard to tell which will make it into the movie.

2 hours ago, Bird said:

My wife and oldest daughter are extremely fond of Jason Mamoa. I guess he is on GoT? In any event, my wife loved the trailer and said how awesome Aquaman seemed. I am not necessarily against alien invasion as much as mindless streams of debris/dust/earth whatever and this seems to handle it well, down on the street like Avengers did. I am looking forward to it, and I still have not seen BvS in its' entirety.

I predict Aquaman/Jason Mamoa will be the breakout character. Yea Jason Mamoa was awesome in Game of Thrones.

It’s so interesting to see what people focus on and dislike 

no one and I mean no one seems to have an issue with “funny” Thor. I’ll be honest I haven’t read the entire Avengers series or all the Thors but I never pictured him as being funny, yet on the Marvel side the liberties taken to make the movie accessible to the masses is widely accepted etc however WB/DC can’t win one way or the other 

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

no one and I mean no one seems to have an issue with “funny” Thor. I’ll be honest I haven’t read the entire Avengers series or all the Thors but I never pictured him as being funny, yet on the Marvel side the liberties taken to make the movie accessible to the masses is widely accepted etc however WB/DC can’t win one way or the other 

I loved the funny Bruce Wayne from the earlier trailer: "He comes at night. (dramatic pause)  Last night" that was comedy gold and so in keeping with the tradition of the character, why they replaced that with "you da man" is bewildering.  Actually, I've given up hope that any of these movies will even strive for greatness like DK, the best you can hope for is that they're entertaining.  JLA looks like another CGI poopfest, maybe Thor will be entertaining enough to make me want to see it (unlike the previous two).   Doesn't matter- JLA will do $375MM domestic ($425MM w/ good reviews), Thor will be lucky to hit $250MM ($275MM if it gets the MCU RT love). 

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Thor was a frog once.

9 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I do agree there is a very fine line between funny and not funny and it really depends on the person. I love the Avengers funny but was not blown away by the new Spider-Man funny.  Thought Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman had good funny.  Defenders show had bad funny.  So far I see the Justice League movie being unfunny.

7 hours ago, paperheart said:

I loved the funny Bruce Wayne from the earlier trailer: "He comes at night. (dramatic pause)  Last night" that was comedy gold and so in keeping with the tradition of the character, why they replaced that with "you da man" is bewildering.  Actually, I've given up hope that any of these movies will even strive for greatness like DK, the best you can hope for is that they're entertaining.  JLA looks like another CGI poopfest, maybe Thor will be entertaining enough to make me want to see it (unlike the previous two).   Doesn't matter- JLA will do $375MM domestic ($425MM w/ good reviews), Thor will be lucky to hit $250MM ($275MM if it gets the MCU RT love). 

there is too much money at stake to allow something like the DK to happen. Nolan benefited from the mess of the final batman movies and that "comic" movies weren't expected to be blockbusters. If only Hollywood would understand that greatness trumps everything, instead of checking off boxes on a to do list to make sure the product is safe/appealing to the masses

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

maybe DC/WB needs to bring in Dave Chappelle, Louis CK and Chris Rock to play these characters :idea:

No need to have them in the movie but having good writers is key.  I don't know who is doing the writing for Avengers but they need to get a raise.  

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

No need to have them in the movie but having good writers is key.  I don't know who is doing the writing for Avengers but they need to get a raise.  

Don't know about that. AoU was bad, and Civil War had a bunch of gobbledygook in it as well. After the first Avengers film it has been downhill writing and story wise. Hopefully the Infinity Gauntlet two-parter is closer to the original Avengers than 2 or 3.